webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > The design of the future Open WebOS smartphone
The design of the future Open WebOS smartphone
Like Tree7Likes

Old 08/07/2012, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello Community WebOS, what do you think about the design of a smartphone? this is just a prototype, but I think not for long)

Leave your comments, I am interested to know the opinion WebOS community

Display: 480x800 pixel 5-inch diagonal
Two cameras:
Front - 1.3 mega pixels for video calls (and as a mirror )
Rear - 3 megapixel camera with autofocus
Two speakers for music
Separate hard keys for shooting photos (and video recording)
Black Figure - rubberized case
Thanked By: k4ever
Old 08/07/2012, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Aphonich View Post
Hello Community WebOS, what do you think about the design of a smartphone? this is just a prototype, but I think not for long)

Click to view quoted image

Two cameras:
Two speakers for music
Nice work. I LOVE the look of it. Is that a gesture area below the screen? Not too keen on the rubber as the black and colors fade after awhile, though I do like the feel of it, so maybe make those are replaceable?

I notice you've placed the camera right in the middle of the back of the phone - usually they're offset - can you explain why you've chosen that placement?

I like the idea of hardware keys for photo taking - if they're placed well they can be preferable to tapping the screen.

And did I say that I love the look of it?
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Denis Aphonich
Old 08/07/2012, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thinking a bit more, I'm not crazy about the choice of a 5 inch screen. A phone that big isn't for everyone, especially if you've got smaller hands. But then again I've seen lots of petite Chinese and Japanese girls happily sporting that monster sized Samsung Galaxy, so i guess it's something that you get used to.
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Thanked by Denis Aphonich, Vistaus
Old 08/07/2012, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
Thinking a bit more, I'm not crazy about the choice of a 5 inch screen. A phone that big isn't for everyone, especially if you've got smaller hands. But then again I've seen lots of petite Chinese and Japanese girls happily sporting that monster sized Samsung Galaxy, so i guess it's something that you get used to.
But as a Web OS great potential then I think the decision in favor of the 5-inch justified (it is not convenient to play games when the fingers are closed half of the screen. Plus to work more convenient, you can add on-screen keyboard, without fear that I would stay a little space for the program)
Old 08/08/2012, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that any WebOS phone, any whatsoever will be greeted by the community with enthusiasm at this stage. Remember, we WebOS fans have been hungered out for a while now.

Can't say though, if everyone will like the design and how many would buy it, but I wouldn't discourage anyone who thinks about feeding the hunger of WebOS enthusiasts...

ps, I would consider an edition with a better cam and flash.
pps, what core will it have? How much RAM?
Old 08/08/2012, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
yeah looks nice but I'm also one of the kind that don't like giant phones, don't fancy lugging around something just smaller than a psp tbh.

pre3 size is perfect for me, not too big and not too small.
Old 08/08/2012, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

love the design, like the card logo exiting an egg, logo is fine on rear, think the mini one front could go or it begins to look like extra clutter, personally never liked devices with too much clutter on the front, never felt the need to see what's similar to a mini advert in my face.

logos and brand names on rear is fine as other people potentially see it.
Old 08/08/2012, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Another vote for not liking it that big. I understand i am in the minority when I think the Pre2 is the ideal size but why go over board. Other than that, i like the look.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37 and sq5 like this.
Old 08/08/2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Agreed, up the camera to at least 5 with flash. No logo needed in front. Also, in the back, do we need to explicitly mention its a "smartphone"? Unless "RenaissancE" is a company name and "Smartphone" is the name of the phone.

Otherwise, loved the look of it! I actually liked the camera in the center and flash should be added right below it.

I am also curious about processor and RAM specs.
hvariava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I encourage your attempts - here's what I would like to see in it:

- Touchstone-compatible (Built-in is best)
- Removable SD card

Removable battery is also a plus, and, of course, Gorilla glass.
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Danimal62 likes this.
Old 08/08/2012, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

Two cameras:
Two speakers for music
It's great so far but the screen size is just horrid. webOS was meant for smaller screens. otherwise amazing except for the camera. step it up to 8 MP w/ auto focus and the flash diagonal of it on the right like on the Pre3
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Really ugly.
liekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 03:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would love a new webOS phone, but please, don't use such a big *** screen. I love webOS but I'm not buying a phone that big.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 05:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

This might be a good point to think about, if one of the reasons WebOS never became as popular as it deserved, because the devices were having a comparatively small screen and a hardware keyboard.
Just saying that the market leader does it all vice versa... and is successful with that design.

I do not say, that the WebOS devices were badly designed, I just think they appeal to a different (albeit seemingly smaller) group of people...
Old 08/09/2012, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
This might be a good point to think about, if one of the reasons WebOS never became as popular as it deserved, because the devices were having a comparatively small screen and a hardware keyboard.
Just saying that the market leader does it all vice versa... and is successful with that design.

I do not say, that the WebOS devices were badly designed, I just think they appeal to a different (albeit seemingly smaller) group of people...
I now have tablets for webOS/android and IOS, I did think android was worst due to crazy permissions, after using IOS tho, I now consider it worse as it is filled with the same stuff only it never tells you, at least android does.

ios stuff looks pretty but as a massive geek of various types, I find ios lacks heaps of stuff I want esp emulation, the homebrew/cydia is pretty poor as well, had "patches" nullify others, cost a fortune for basic stuff we get on preware, at least most preware devs give for free and suggest donations if you like it, a better approach imho.

I don't think webOS phones are inferior I just think its because webOS isn't as visually flashy/showoff for kiddies, their not gonna care about their OS being made around c/asm/web tech.

so I think we can't judge the phones themselves and their popularity on the os they run, as they are all fundamentally different.

and I still think dodgey apps sucking our personal info in secret will be preferred for what they give/provide whoever gets/sells/uses our info than other OS's that don't, I simply don't trust ios, android I have a choice, and webOS I simply don't know what occurs tbh.
Old 08/09/2012, 07:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
I now have tablets for webOS/android and IOS, I did think android was worst due to crazy permissions, after using IOS tho, I now consider it worse as it is filled with the same stuff only it never tells you, at least android does..
Transparency tends to scare people, which is where most of the freakout over Android's "permission" system comes from. Better still, when you do automatic app updating, it won't update any whose permissions have changed, requiring the user to review them before allow the update to install.

iOS and not even webOS (other than geolocation in webOS' case) reveal an app's capabilities so thoroughly and upfront.

It'd be trivial to write a webOS application that sends whatever information you type into it to a third-party via XHR under the guise of "collecting metrics", and unless the app reviewers or some enterprising user that likes to reverse-engineer apps caught that, nobody would really be the wiser. On homebrew, it'd be even easier.

Not that it's happened, but could it? Absolutely. Has it happened? Well, who out there has gone through the source and run HTTP traces on every webOS application to make sure it hasn't?

If webOS had become more popular, it probably would have since it'd inevitably attract the type of developer you'd prefer not be developing for your platform.

Android-like permission transparency is something I'd like to see in every major mobile OS, actually. Even shady apps on Android are automatically tagged with what they do, instead of what the developer wants to tell you they do. That leads to more informed choices in the end and a degree of assurance that what you have is safe.

Last edited by dignitary; 08/09/2012 at 07:48 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

A 5" inch screen and a gesture area... Sorry it won't fit in my pocket.
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

Two cameras:
Two speakers for music
- Rubberized phones don't slide in and out of pockets well. Better it be an aftermarket option in a case.
- The logo looks too much like something from a child's toy.
- A gesture area on a phone that size is cumbersome to use with one hand, but could be very useful for productivity with two hands (like the galaxy note sort of niche)
- I like the bezel. Even more so if it keeps the screen from being flush to a table when laid flat.
- I love camera phones, if they are high quality.

And... finally... a phone is NOTHING without APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (beyond your control)
jrsharp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 12:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Another vote for not liking it that big. I understand i am in the minority when I think the Pre2 is the ideal size but why go over board
Judging by other posts, you are not the minority.

Seriously? One of the things that sucked about the hardware and the community still won't move on?
Old 08/09/2012, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
Judging by other posts, you are not the minority.

Seriously? One of the things that sucked about the hardware and the community still won't move on?
Depends on what you move on to. Go to 4 inches and I think most would be happy, but 5 inches may be a step too far.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0