webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Sketch of gaming tablet on the Open WebOS
Sketch of gaming tablet on the Open WebOS
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Denis Aphonich
  • 1 Post By ArchonAdvisors
  • 1 Post By marcedhk

Old 08/06/2012, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

I greet the English-speaking community of WebOS. I am a young beginner designer from Ukraine, who loved WebOS.
I am very saddened by the news that Hewlett Packard discontinued the devices on the WebOS. I have long mourned ... Why HP, how is it?
One good thing that WebOS Hewlett Packard offers for free use.
And I have relatives in China, he offered to do the design for a phone that will go to Ukraine (the cost was to be 30-35 dollars), I refused because it did not have enough experience, and few believed that someone like my realties design ...
But now a year has passed and one day I asked him how can I order at the factory to manufacture the smartphone's own sketches.
The answer was yes.
After much thought I decided to make a sketch of gaming tablet on the Open WebOS.
What do you say community? is it necessary? or will it be useless?
cost of such a tablet would be about 60-100 dollars

Here is a sketch (not yet completed)

That finished the front panel for the tablet. What ideas are about the design?

That's back, here you see the name tablet and logo)

Last edited by Denis Aphonich; 08/07/2012 at 12:50 AM.
Denis Aphonich is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: k4ever
Old 08/06/2012, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
I greet the English-speaking community of WebOS. I am a young beginner designer from Ukraine, who loved WebOS.
I am very saddened by the news that Hewlett Packard discontinued the devices on the WebOS. I have long mourned ... Why HP, how is it?
One good thing that WebOS Hewlett Packard offers for free use.
And I have relatives in China, he offered to do the design for a phone that will go to Ukraine (the cost was to be 30-35 dollars), I refused because it did not have enough experience, and few believed that someone like my realties design ...
But now a year has passed and one day I asked him how can I order at the factory to manufacture the smartphone's own sketches.
The answer was yes.
After much thought I decided to make a sketch of gaming tablet on the Open WebOS.
What do you say community? is it necessary? or will it be useless?
cost of such a tablet would be about 60-100 dollars

Here is a sketch (not yet completed)

Click to view quoted image
It looks good. What are you going to do about games?

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Way back when a company named Tapwave produced PDA/Game hybrid handhelds built around PalmOS...

Tapwave Zodiac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Game Player/Smartphone hybrid is a relatively under-exploited concept...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any serious gaming device should have at least one analog stick.

Thinking about phone/gaming console devices, I remember there's the PlayStation Certified phones. I think the only games you could get on it are low-polygon mobile games, though. That said, the original PSP didn't have much in processing power, so I guess it's all comparable.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Denis Aphonich
Old 08/06/2012, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
It looks good. What are you going to do about games?

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
If I understood your question, here is my answer:
I want to bring people to write add-ons to the WebOS that you can properly play the game with a tablet. As well as getting people to create games for it. Maybe it's just a dream, because in our area no one is interested to work the prospect, and with a few familiar WebOS - only the true fans of Palm ... Russian community is just that of the 10 active users
Old 08/06/2012, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is an example of the tablet 71 dollar (ICOO) D50 Deluxe 7 Multi-touch Android 4.0 4GB Tablet PC L-83357 - TinyDeal That would put on such a basis WebOS
Old 08/06/2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Way back when a company named Tapwave produced PDA/Game hybrid handhelds built around PalmOS...

Oh, I saw this in the year 2008, how sorry I was not able to buy it, but at that point I had a Palm m515
Old 08/07/2012, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

The question that bugs me here is: will there be any devs producing games for it??
Old 08/07/2012, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
The question that bugs me here is: will there be any devs producing games for it??
Why not? if you put on the conveyor and start selling it to developers would be interested in porting / creating the game as it will be online catalog of games and applications, ideally in general would be cool to support older games from the HP catalog of applications with the ability to purchase and install via Wi Fi
Old 08/07/2012, 03:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, what do you say, community? There is chance to at this idea or no?
Old 08/07/2012, 04:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Who could say?

It all depends on the marketing of the device which consists of
1) The product. How good will it be
2) The pricing. Will it be competitible, will it be real value for money?
3) The distribution. Who will sell it? What distributionchannels are planned? What will be the incentives of the partners who sell the device?
4) The advertisement. Can you invest enough to put the product into the minds of people?

And last but not least, the infrastructure behind it - will the AppCatalog still be there? Will you be able to provide support? Will there be enough devs to provide the so much needed apps for the device?

No one of us is able to answer these questions for you. Therefore I don't think, you will get too many answers here.
Old 08/08/2012, 12:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Hardly under-exploited. It's just failed every single time it's been attempted...by companies that funded those efforts with hundreds of millions of dollars spent in research, marketing, game licensing, and manufacturing, no less.

The Nokia N-Gage was the most widely released and hyped integrated game player/smartphone ever...and it failed absolutely miserably. In video game collecting circles, it's pretty much a laughingstock nobody even wants to collect for with very few games ever released for it. N-Gage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When people think "gameplayer/smartphone" nowadays, they think of the games coming to the iPhone and Android and that's pretty much it. Neither may have integrated controls, except for the Sony Xperia PLAY (which was "Playstation certified" and had few Playstation games for it--another failure), but people have grown to on-screen controls and bluetooth gamepad connectivity instead. If someone wants arcade or physical game controls, there are accessories from attachable gamepads to entire mini arcade cabinets for it.

Here's the rub, if you haven't noticed the pattern yet: If you're thinking about a tablet with integrated controls, however, you kinda need to have enough games to make it worthwhile. Even then, your device has a very high likelihood of failure.

And webOS, well, doesn't even come close to a fraction of a fraction of the high-end games out on iOS/Android. It's just fact, and if you're not getting the latest and greatest title with the market reputation for your device to match, you're gonna be massively disappointed when it sinks faster than the Titanic.

Heck, the iCade mini arcade cabinet--a very popular iPad accessory amongst a large section of gamers--was even shown off by Ben Combee from HP's webOS team as working for the Touchpad prior to the Touchpad's release, but guess what? Not a single webOS developer ever pursued taking advantage of it. It's just further unreassuring evidence against the success of a dedicated gaming/tablet combination, since not one of the much-higher numbers of webOS developers at the time wouldn't even support existing and popular Bluetooth accessories built for other platforms that would have made switching to webOS even easier!

In short:
+ low userbase
+ few games
+ fewer games that support the controls (if any)
+ zero financial or practical reason for top-tier game developers to adopt Open webOS
+ money spent getting this built
+ no retail presence or top-tier "latest and greatest" popular games to attract users
+ webOS having never been seen as a serious gaming platform
--------------------------------------------------------
= Massive failure. Sorry.

Dreams are great, but they should always be tempered with practicality and pragmatism. And a lot of research.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post

Dreams are great, but they should always be squashed with pessimism and cynicism. And a lot of discouragement.
There, fixed it for you.Thanks for the bundle of sunshine as usual. It's not that I disagree with all your points either.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 08/08/2012, 11:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

looks ok, a bit nintendo/dreamcasty/90s tho.
Old 08/08/2012, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I'd agree. Those of us who actually used/owned a Zodiac recognize that it might have been a player with better management. (Not that webOS users would know anything about that scenario.) I'm still fond of the Zodiac- it was a fantastic piece of kit, with a dedicated ATI video and an ARM chip (before the PSP). It still makes a great portable NES/SNES.

Sony had a great concept with the Xperia play, but botched it with dated hardware/software. If they ever make a Vita phone- I'm in.
Radon_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 01:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
There, fixed it for you.Thanks for the bundle of sunshine as usual. It's not that I disagree with all your points either.
If someone can make it happen, feel free to prove history wrong. For a dream to become reality, first it has to deal with the challenges reality is ready to deal it. Simple as that, really, and plenty have redefined both history and reality through their efforts over time.

If what this place is meant for is daydreaming, that's one thing. But when someone is proposing to put real money on the line to potentially put a device based on their own designs into production after having talked to manufacturers, you'd better be ready to tell someone to be ready to face reality. If they don't, this person stands to lose a lot in the process just because some cheerleaders told him to disregard the guy over there in the corner mumbling the cold, historical facts nobody seems to want to hear.

If you want to be the person that encouraged someone to manufacture thousands of devices in bulk he can't sell based on an OS that hasn't even been released yet in addition to the very real factors I posted above, well, feel free dude. I sure as hell won't stop you.

Chinese manufacturers don't build in hundreds of units when it comes to devices like this, though; they demand bulk orders of thousands (at least, if not many more) to get the price the OP was quoted, since it means opening an assembly line from assembly to QA and throwing bodies at it. I'm not even mentioning procurement and base production of the hardware from injection molding of the cases to producing the hardware schematics and ensuring the resulting device won't kill anyone when they plug it in to recharge. And what about packaging? Throw it in bubble wrap in an envelope and call it a day? How about a manual? That takes manpower as well.

Doesn't it sound so realistic now?

Bottom Line: Dreams are often incongruent with reality, and last I checked, that was still fact. OP asked for our opinions, and I gave him mine, backed up with fact and not anecdotal fluff. Don't like it? Sorry, it's just how I roll.

I'm not a cheerleader; I'm just here to provide my point of view--take it or leave it--and not be a "Yes Man" for all potential devices mentioned in a thread here just because there's nothing else device-wise for webOS in the horizon right now. For me to act that way, especially when someone is proposing the manufacture of a device, would be insanely selfish at the potentially very real expense of someone else--and that's no way to live, Sir.
Old 08/11/2012, 02:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

And before I get the obvious, "He didn't propose spending his own money!" line in response to the above post, keep in mind one simple thing, and say it with me now:

"Manufacturers don't work on contract through credit from individuals without provable substantial funds to cover and back all aspects of design, manufacture, and contingency."

Welcome to Business Concepts 101.

Could he get those devices manufactured for the price point he said? Perhaps. But he'd better have a Kickstarter project going with a few thousand people ready to pre-pay much more in the first wave in order to produce the money not only for the devices, but to subsidize the various ancillary ramp-up and resource costs that require considerable more money to be thrown at the process before manufacturing even begins as I outlined above.

Still, are you ready to encourage OP to pursue production of a device that odds-are won't prove a half-dozen efforts backed by tens and hundreds of millions of dollars in the past wrong? You really, honestly think a dedicated gaming device based on webOS could survive in the market in its current state without bankrupting the manufacturer?

Really?

Last edited by dignitary; 08/11/2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08/11/2012, 02:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

And before I get the obvious, "He didn't propose spending his own money!" line in response to the above post, keep in mind one simple thing, and say it with me now:

"Manufacturers don't work on contract through credit from individuals without provable substantial funds to cover and back all aspects of design, manufacture, and contingency."

Could he get those devices manufactured for the price point he said? Perhaps. But he'd better have a Kickstarter project going with a few thousand people ready to pre-pay much more in the first wave in order to produce the money not only for the devices, but to subsidize the various ancillary ramp-up and resource costs that require considerable more money to be thrown at the process before manufacturing even begins as I outlined above.

Still, are you ready to encourage OP to pursue production of a device that odds-are won't prove a half-dozen efforts backed by tens and hundreds of millions of dollars in the past wrong? You really, honestly think a dedicated gaming device based on webOS could survive in the market in its current state without bankrupting the manufacturer?

Really?
Old 08/11/2012, 07:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Looks good but replage the D-pad with a control stick from a Gamecube something.
TheOrangeClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 01:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
You really, honestly think a dedicated gaming device based on webOS could survive in the market in its current state without bankrupting the manufacturer?

Really?
I'm mostly in agreement with Dignitary on this one. I think when it comes to the consumer market you generally have space for maybe 3 competing technologies, sometimes 4, and then everybody else falters and is forced to give up or goes bankrupt.

For this device (were it to get built and be offered to consumers) the marketing would be key. If it was put out there are a gaming device, it would almost certainly fail. A phone is a necessity, a tablet isn't quite considered a necessity by most people yet (most of what they do can be done by an ultrabook or even a netbook, which are also very portable and convenient), but a dedicated portable gaming device is definitely not something most people think they need. If you market it to the segment that are really into that (mostly male teens and young adults), then you go right up against Nintendo and Sony, and unlike tablets, people aren't going to particularly care what OS it's running - I don't think I've ever heard a gamer pick a unit based on the user interface - all that matters are the games, and this is the area where this device would be at a complete disadvantage. They're going to want something that will give them games with the best graphics, the best action; the games that all their friends are talking about, and unlike apps in general those games are very expensive to produce and nowadays are only coming from major development houses who won't be releasing them for this device.

I think the only chance at success this device would have would be by being marketed as a general no phone bill incurred do-it-all device like the iPod Touch or Galaxy Player - something really multipurpose but also optimized to give a better gaming experience than those devices can. Kind of like what people used to hack the earlier PSP's to do but Sony kept thwarting their efforts. I haven't played with the new handheld units so I don't know if the Sony Vita (or some other device I haven't heard about?) already do this well enough to make trying pointless.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0