webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Not sure where this should go.
Not sure where this should go.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vity Traff

Old 08/04/2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

After absorbing the latest news from HP regarding open webOS and the existing webOS devices, there are a number of items that confuse me.

What will be the use of releasing the new OS if there are no devices it will run on?
Who will want to run it?

If it is only being released to allow others to hack it onto to andoid and other OS devices, what is the market?

As member of a family that has a number of touchpads and Pre 2 devices, what are our options to get further use out of the devices we chose to invest in? We made a commitment to the platform and operating system because we liked it and continued to invest because we expected HP to not orphan what we have. Yes, I know, HP had already shown its commitment to customers like us but really did have hope for open webOS.

For me, not being a fan of Android, Windows, or Apple, the only choice I can look for is Ubuntu to be ported successfully without the issues the current release has.

Sorry for the rant, but am really frustrated and disappointed. I do however, now know that I will never buy another HP device or recommend the brand to anyone. Such stupidity. They could have announced this months ago and I would not have wasted any more money or time on webOS devices.
Old 08/04/2012, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

WebOS 1.4.5.1 still works well outside of the facebook app. The later versions of the OS should be good to go for a good while.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiffordT View Post
They could have announced this months ago and I would not have wasted any more money or time on webOS devices.
HP Confirms Discussions with Autonomy Corporation plc Regarding Possible Business Combination; Makes Other Announcements
HP not willing to make the investments needed to drive webOS to greater marketshare | webOS Nation
Dont know the world you've been living in for the past months or what you dont get in " discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones" statement.
You did buy a device 1/4 his normal price knowing well the manufacturer stated it wasnt supported and now you looked shocked? Common! As everyone here i'm really disappointed openwebOS will not be supported by current devices out of the box, but I also know i didnt buy my TP full price (the one i bought on firesale I offered it 2 months later and just ordered a 32gb for 150€).
I acquired an HTC HD2 never got the Windows phone 7 update (unofficially) promised. A friend purchased a Lumia 900 weeks ago, she is not getting Windows phone 8
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/06/2012, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiffordT View Post

What will be the use of releasing the new OS if there are no devices it will run on?
Who will want to run it?

Don't let some people bother you, you asked the right questions, mate!

The answer is, sadly, nobody knows.
Releasing an OS and not producing hardware would be a valid thing, if you have licensees. But as OpenWebOS is due out next month and we didn't hear of any hardwarepartners advertizing their new webOs device yet, I think it is fair to assume, that there are none.

In the end, the responsibility lies on the shoulders of WebOSInternals (and maybe other enthusiast groups) to port the new OS to existing devices.
It still leaves open the question: who is gonna produce apps for a "homeless" platform??

Yep, the future for OpenWebOS seems grim, from my perspective...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0