webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Community Edition for WebOS 2.X?
Community Edition for WebOS 2.X?

Old 08/04/2012, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,
after the release of ce for webos 3 i was really wondering why is there no for WebOS 2.x? Is something like this planned? Can the 3.0 version be adopted to phones (read something like that on the frontpage) Will OpenWebOS even include the phone components?
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd really like to see a CE of 2.x, but it's not on the roadmap.

and I believe it's possible to adopt it for phones (I think theres a project page on the wiki about getting CE onto a Pre 3, but it's a real mess.
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2012, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Nothing like that is planned at all from what I understand. It's 3.x from here on out and no going back.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

then they should at least release what they have already done of code,drivers... for webos phones on 3.x so the community could take a shot on porting 3.0.5 CE to phones.

At least already many only to webos 3.x released apps work on 2.x phones like dlna player bhome (just hold it landscape as the scaling is set to run on big screen).
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
Hi,
after the release of ce for webos 3 i was really wondering why is there no for WebOS 2.x? Is something like this planned? Can the 3.0 version be adopted to phones (read something like that on the frontpage) Will OpenWebOS even include the phone components?
webOS 2 and webOS 3 are not exceptionally different from each other. There is an evolution in some of the components, which apparently has carried into Open webOS, but my guess is that the phone components and all of that are still in webOS 3. Especially considering that the 2.2.4 phone app is practically the same as the TouchPad phone app. Of course, there may be more to it that I haven't really examined, though.

The CE code definitely has a lot of phone related things in it. It is most definitely an evolution of the webOS 2.0 code, and not it's own completely seperate thing. (hell, there's still code in there that references the 2009 CES demonstration)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I'd really like to see a CE of 2.x, but it's not on the roadmap.

and I believe it's possible to adopt it for phones (I think theres a project page on the wiki about getting CE onto a Pre 3, but it's a real mess.

Of course, as the wiki says, nothing useful actually works on it, at this time. I think that might change when we can build a complete system, though. THINK and MIGHT are highly operative words here, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
then they should at least release what they have already done of code,drivers... for webos phones on 3.x so the community could take a shot on porting 3.0.5 CE to phones.

At least already many only to webos 3.x released apps work on 2.x phones like dlna player bhome (just hold it landscape as the scaling is set to run on big screen).
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by gizmo21, Rnp
Old 08/06/2012, 04:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
webOS 2 and webOS 3 are not exceptionally different from each other. There is an evolution in some of the components, which apparently has carried into Open webOS, but my guess is that the phone components and all of that are still in webOS 3. Especially considering that the 2.2.4 phone app is practically the same as the TouchPad phone app. Of course, there may be more to it that I haven't really examined, though.

The CE code definitely has a lot of phone related things in it. It is most definitely an evolution of the webOS 2.0 code, and not it's own completely seperate thing. (hell, there's still code in there that references the 2009 CES demonstration)
Makes me a little more confident, as Palm planned for the longterm that both OS-Versions unite again and made enyo to be flexible on all screensizes. Well and the hardware drivers are still there for the old webOS Kernel (2.x, 3.x, 3.05 CE), but then again i'd rather have a nearly working 2.2.4 than a bad transfered 3.0.5 CE on phones
Old 08/06/2012, 04:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

2.2.4, atleast on pre3 is full of bugs but o guess with no source these wil never befixed and we haveto wait for openwebos if that will ever be ported
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

webOS itself has a lot of "bugs".

I thought you guys would eat that screenshot up

I need to find the part in the phone app that shows HTML codes on the screen in caller id, and write a patch for that. Just can't seem to locate it, considering how rarely I receive calls that trigger it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 08/06/2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
webOS itself has a lot of "bugs".

I thought you guys would eat that screenshot up

I need to find the part in the phone app that shows HTML codes on the screen in caller id, and write a patch for that. Just can't seem to locate it, considering how rarely I receive calls that trigger it.
Which HTML code? I didn't come across this one yet?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Sometimes when I receive calls, the caller id line shows up with HTML codes in it, a bold and something else i think. I only receive a handful of calls in months, though, so I haven't really tried hard to duplicate it. Might've just been on Pre2, but I'm pretty sure it's consistent on 2.2.4.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 08/08/2012, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

A community Edition of WebOS 2.x is desperately needed.

Please HP release WebOS 2.x CE!

We should start a petition and send it in.

Anyone else think this will heave even a tiny effect?
Davide-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Assume HP/Palm will do nothing, one will have to compare webOS 1.4.5.1's LunaSysMgr (which is not compiled), and webOS 3.0.5CE LunaSysMgr and create a hybrid what webOS 2.x.x would look like...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0