webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What exactly is missing for Pre3 support?
What exactly is missing for Pre3 support?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover

Old 08/02/2012, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pardon me if this is an obvious question, but what exactly would be missing from openwebos1.0 that would preclude it from running on my Pre3?

If the hardware drivers are the problem then I'd like to know which drivers? All of them?

Will there be an unsupported, home-brew build that will allow my Pre3 to run OpenWebOS?

Please clarify for a layman who has a phone in a drawer that he would like to use some day.
Davide-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Anyone who can actually answer any of your questions can't speak on that.

On the other hand I don't know why you need Open webOS to use the Pre3 I and many others have been using em daily for months.

Even if someone does work out a build that runs on the Pre3 I am guessing it will be a while, so you might as well get to using the device, not doing you any good sitting in a drawer.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

The reason that Pre3 will not be supported is HP/Palm lacks the will...

The drivers are closed source, so bundle the open source (Open webOS) with the closed source drivers producing a Pre3 doctor.

Now they state the existing drivers (close source) are not compatible with the linux kernel 3.3, which maybe true... But this does not excuse them from producing another doctor for the Pre3, that is all will. (Just my opinion)... In the coming months we will see..
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't use my Pre3 for a variety of reasons unrelated to WebOS.
I kept it because I wanted to see what OpenWebOS had in store.
Not to mention the other webos phones that are sitting in my drawer.
Davide-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
The Pre 3 was never put on sale in the US. It's not a lack of will, it's a waste of time and resources.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
The Pre 3 was never put on sale in the US. It's not a lack of will, it's a waste of time and resources.
They released the Veer in US, not only did AT&T still support it, mine broke, HP/Palm replaced it with no questions... Yes gave them an unlocked AT&T broken phone, then sent back a AT&T locked (I quickly unlocked it). HP/Palm-AT&T diid not update to webOS 2.2.4 (but I am at it).

The Pre3 was released in the UK, ok not official release is US, but AT&T and Verizon devices exist, ignore them I guess...

But HP/Palm has already wasted time/resources on webOS (from 2.2, 2.2.3, to 2.2.4), why do anything? Because it is the right thing to do... Now for me we are not asking for much....
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

The drivers are closed source, so bundle the open source (Open webOS) with the closed source drivers producing a Pre3 doctor.

Now they state the existing drivers (close source) are not compatible with the linux kernel 3.3, which maybe true... But this does not excuse them from producing another doctor for the Pre3, that is all will. (Just my opinion)... In the coming months we will see..
I'm guessing that's what will happen. Use the existing 2.2.4 webOS doctor as a starting point and merge the open webOS components into it that work.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If they officially want to release some updates for the phones they need to test them throughout and stuff... someone in the developer relations team said that there is no one left capable in adapting a webOS version to any hardware and do the tests necessary for QA. That was a few months back... I think that is the biggest issue... there is no real webOS Hardware department anymore, which, appart from designing hardware, also was responsible for tests...

You know the leaked 2.2.4 for the Veer? It still is rebooting the Veer during phone calls on some occasions... you can have that happen for a leaked or homebrew version of the OS. But not for a full fledged officially supported update for your sold hardware.

I would not be surprised if HP really in the background would help homebrew devs or phoenix devices to get open webos running on the legaciy hardware. But they most probably can't get it through their own QA.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 05:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

"But not for a full fledged officially supported update for your sold hardware."

Then why do I experience that same restart-during-a-call-bug on my Pre 3 with 2.2.4? Pre 3 officially got the 2.2.4-update, so fully supported.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
openwebos, pre3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0