Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By hagster
  • 3 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By creepingmee
  • 3 Post By gizmo21
  1.    #1  
    Now HP have open-sourced many of the core apps from the Touchpad, can these now be made to work on the desktop(or other Mobile OS?)?

I'd really love to have the Touchpad email app running in Chrome with it's combined inbox running on my desktop (not it Virtual Box).

I've had a quick go myself and hoped to get at least the calculator to run hoping it's only dependency would be the already open sourced ENYO1. No luck yet, but i'll keep trying.
    I keep waiting for webOS on my desktop... Hurd had the right idea, too bad it was Apothekered...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    hagster, geekpeter and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I keep waiting for webOS on my desktop... Hurd had the right idea, too bad it was Apothekered...
    I can not speak for Open webOS released apps, but I have the SDK, with the emulator and have installed the apps (ipk) from the Touchpad 3.0.5 build and they worked fine.
    Ideally I would want touch input enabled though... basically full functionality, not just SDK
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Vistaus likes this.
  5.    #5  
    The SDK emulator is good, but you can't do things like cut and paste to and from the desktop, you can't resize the window and email links open in the Touchpad browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Ideally I would want touch input enabled though... basically full functionality, not just SDK
    I have not played with SDK emulator in a while, but if one were to convert the SDK to a real drive, put it on a real x86 device, install the drivers for linux on that device (if they are available), it should work, but I have never tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    The SDK emulator is good, but you can't do things like cut and paste to and from the desktop, you can't resize the window and email links open in the Touchpad browser.
    there is a program that was originally made for eve-online and other games to windowfy and fullscreen them when they didnt do so nativly, called ShiftWindow, i use this regularly to play the likes of Never Winter Nights 1/2 and many more games to have them stretch to fit automatically (for when i splashtop my desktop, this also works for many other programs ofc including the emulator/sdk).

you can fullscreen or just resize to anything you like, i sometimes do this for old programs that only windowfy to really low resolutions.

ShiftWindow

checked already and virtualbox cant share clipboard unless you have something we cant install on the emulated side and even then plain text only can just be copied/pasted after that.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/02/2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Having a quick look at the repo, it shouldn't be too hard to get the clock, calculator and notes running since they don't depend on any services (at least I don't -think- they do.)
    The others, however, would require installing said services, and most likely that you be running Linux.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    The others, however, would require installing said services, and most likely that you be running Linux.
    webOSuntu?
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Having a quick look at the repo, it shouldn't be too hard to get the clock, calculator and notes running since they don't depend on any services (at least I don't -think- they do.)
    There are people NOT running linux???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Vistaus and hagster like this.
    Yes. Some of us have to use our computers to get real work done.

(don't flame me, i'm just poking fun)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I've uploaded the Calculator app with a modified Enyo 1.0 source that somewhat supports Firefox and fully supports Safari and Chrome here: Calculator It was just a quick change, I'll probably work on it later after the hackathon on Saturday

EDIT: For some reason clicking on the link above in Firefox is not working, copying the URL in a new tab works however.
    Last edited by Opticq; 08/03/2012 at 12:36 AM.
    yeah once dreamed of having webos PIM apps on the desktop for backup and sync purposes, now i moved on by building my own PIM cloud: Building your own cloud with Zarafa using EAS to sync

But for an easy backup/sync and entry of data with a large screen for all the other apps (and their databases), webos on desktop would still be a nice idea.

Or even better a synergy service to sync all .db8 Databases to your own clowd and so having all data on all you devices. Ah well dreaming again....
    I got the calculator app actually working near-perfectly on Firefox. Turns out the enyo.isMoz isn't even defined so I used an alternate
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Now HP have open-sourced many of the core apps from the Touchpad, can these now be made to work on the desktop(or other Mobile OS?)?

I'd really love to have the Touchpad email app running in Chrome with it's combined inbox running on my desktop (not it Virtual Box).

I've had a quick go myself and hoped to get at least the calculator to run hoping it's only dependency would be the already open sourced ENYO1. No luck yet, but i'll keep trying.
    I've been hoping for this ever since I used the email app on the TouchPad. I would love to have this as a web app in Chrome. Anyone know the likelihood of this happening???
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I've been hoping for this ever since I used the email app on the TouchPad. I would love to have this as a web app in Chrome. Anyone know the likelihood of this happening???
    Not likely considering how much it's tied to webOS' services; you'd basically have to recode and repackage it from scratch.

The "core" webOS apps aren't just Enyo; Enyo in general is just the "skin" you see with hooks to the data it pulls in. It's what you don't see (i.e., the "back-end" that makes things really happen) that prevents it from being easily portable to a browser-based web application, and that has very little to do with Enyo when you get down to it.

Things like Calendar are generally fairly easy to port, but when you're dealing with email security, it's a different beast if you plan on doing it with scalability in mind to new services and without creating a serious security risk that could expose your email credentials to anyone that has the skills and plenty of time with nothing better to do than sniff out your network connection looking for vulnerabilities to exploit (i.e., found at the occasional urban coffee shop on an average day).
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Yes. Some of us have to use our computers to get real work done.

(don't flame me, i'm just poking fun)
    LOL I spend all day in a Win7/Office 2010 environment at work... I love linux, but so easy to just use at home what I use for a good 9ish hours a day. (I'm so ingrained in habit I still haven't switched to chrome at home or work)