webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Can the core apps be made to run on the desktop now(email/calender etc)
Can the core apps be made to run on the desktop now(email/calender etc)
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By hagster
  • 3 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By creepingmee
  • 3 Post By gizmo21

Old 08/02/2012, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Now HP have open-sourced many of the core apps from the Touchpad, can these now be made to work on the desktop(or other Mobile OS?)?

I'd really love to have the Touchpad email app running in Chrome with it's combined inbox running on my desktop (not it Virtual Box).

I've had a quick go myself and hoped to get at least the calculator to run hoping it's only dependency would be the already open sourced ENYO1. No luck yet, but i'll keep trying.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 08/02/2012, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

I keep waiting for webOS on my desktop... Hurd had the right idea, too bad it was Apothekered...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hagster, geekpeter and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 08/02/2012, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I keep waiting for webOS on my desktop... Hurd had the right idea, too bad it was Apothekered...
I can not speak for Open webOS released apps, but I have the SDK, with the emulator and have installed the apps (ipk) from the Touchpad 3.0.5 build and they worked fine.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Ideally I would want touch input enabled though... basically full functionality, not just SDK
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

The SDK emulator is good, but you can't do things like cut and paste to and from the desktop, you can't resize the window and email links open in the Touchpad browser.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Ideally I would want touch input enabled though... basically full functionality, not just SDK
I have not played with SDK emulator in a while, but if one were to convert the SDK to a real drive, put it on a real x86 device, install the drivers for linux on that device (if they are available), it should work, but I have never tried.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
The SDK emulator is good, but you can't do things like cut and paste to and from the desktop, you can't resize the window and email links open in the Touchpad browser.
there is a program that was originally made for eve-online and other games to windowfy and fullscreen them when they didnt do so nativly, called ShiftWindow, i use this regularly to play the likes of Never Winter Nights 1/2 and many more games to have them stretch to fit automatically (for when i splashtop my desktop, this also works for many other programs ofc including the emulator/sdk).

you can fullscreen or just resize to anything you like, i sometimes do this for old programs that only windowfy to really low resolutions.

ShiftWindow

checked already and virtualbox cant share clipboard unless you have something we cant install on the emulated side and even then plain text only can just be copied/pasted after that.

Last edited by geekpeter; 08/02/2012 at 12:02 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Having a quick look at the repo, it shouldn't be too hard to get the clock, calculator and notes running since they don't depend on any services (at least I don't -think- they do.)
The others, however, would require installing said services, and most likely that you be running Linux.
Old 08/02/2012, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
The others, however, would require installing said services, and most likely that you be running Linux.
webOSuntu?
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Having a quick look at the repo, it shouldn't be too hard to get the clock, calculator and notes running since they don't depend on any services (at least I don't -think- they do.)
There are people NOT running linux???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hagster and Vistaus like this.
Old 08/02/2012, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes. Some of us have to use our computers to get real work done.

(don't flame me, i'm just poking fun)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've uploaded the Calculator app with a modified Enyo 1.0 source that somewhat supports Firefox and fully supports Safari and Chrome here: Calculator It was just a quick change, I'll probably work on it later after the hackathon on Saturday

EDIT: For some reason clicking on the link above in Firefox is not working, copying the URL in a new tab works however.

Last edited by Opticq; 08/02/2012 at 11:36 PM.
opticq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by hagster, Isandunk
Old 08/02/2012, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

yeah once dreamed of having webos PIM apps on the desktop for backup and sync purposes, now i moved on by building my own PIM cloud: Building your own cloud with Zarafa using EAS to sync

But for an easy backup/sync and entry of data with a large screen for all the other apps (and their databases), webos on desktop would still be a nice idea.

Or even better a synergy service to sync all .db8 Databases to your own clowd and so having all data on all you devices. Ah well dreaming again....
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover, hagster and Garfonso like this.
Old 08/03/2012, 01:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

I got the calculator app actually working near-perfectly on Firefox. Turns out the enyo.isMoz isn't even defined so I used an alternate
opticq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 01:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
Now HP have open-sourced many of the core apps from the Touchpad, can these now be made to work on the desktop(or other Mobile OS?)?

I'd really love to have the Touchpad email app running in Chrome with it's combined inbox running on my desktop (not it Virtual Box).

I've had a quick go myself and hoped to get at least the calculator to run hoping it's only dependency would be the already open sourced ENYO1. No luck yet, but i'll keep trying.
I've been hoping for this ever since I used the email app on the TouchPad. I would love to have this as a web app in Chrome. Anyone know the likelihood of this happening???
Old 08/03/2012, 01:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
I've been hoping for this ever since I used the email app on the TouchPad. I would love to have this as a web app in Chrome. Anyone know the likelihood of this happening???
Not likely considering how much it's tied to webOS' services; you'd basically have to recode and repackage it from scratch.

The "core" webOS apps aren't just Enyo; Enyo in general is just the "skin" you see with hooks to the data it pulls in. It's what you don't see (i.e., the "back-end" that makes things really happen) that prevents it from being easily portable to a browser-based web application, and that has very little to do with Enyo when you get down to it.

Things like Calendar are generally fairly easy to port, but when you're dealing with email security, it's a different beast if you plan on doing it with scalability in mind to new services and without creating a serious security risk that could expose your email credentials to anyone that has the skills and plenty of time with nothing better to do than sniff out your network connection looking for vulnerabilities to exploit (i.e., found at the occasional urban coffee shop on an average day).
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Smartfah
Old 08/03/2012, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yes. Some of us have to use our computers to get real work done.

(don't flame me, i'm just poking fun)
LOL I spend all day in a Win7/Office 2010 environment at work... I love linux, but so easy to just use at home what I use for a good 9ish hours a day. (I'm so ingrained in habit I still haven't switched to chrome at home or work)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0