webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What about the Apps?
What about the Apps?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk

Old 08/01/2012, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

So after yesterdays news of the old products not being able to be upgraded it does leave me wondering. What about the new apps that will be developed for the new platform? For example will a TP or Pre 3 be able to use the new WebOS apps or will they be stuck with all the old stuff?

My thinking is I may not be able to get that new stuff but hey the least they could do is allow programs to be compatible no?
Old 08/01/2012, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It probably depends on what sorts of things are needed to make the apps work under the hood. Web apps are web apps though for much of it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

All the hope for the legacy devices rests on the shoulders of our true heroes, the WebOSInternals guys or respectively the community that's left.

But I would rather ask: is there anybody left to develop for openWebOS? Will there be any new apps? Heck, will there be any devices running it?
Who will provide services like the app catalog? HP? They don't seem terribly interested to find hardwarepartners for openWebOS, so who tells us, they will provide services for an OS that is not used by anyone?

I think the number of unanswered questions are huge compared to the once we've got answered.
The sky is dark and cloudy at the moment...
Old 08/02/2012, 03:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I suppose everybody forgot about this WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals

Chapter 10
INFORMATION:

What About My Apps?

When the HP App Catalog is shut down, we will need to be able to reinstall paid apps that we have purchased on the devices for which they have been purchased.

The webOS Survival Kit includes everything you need to be in a position ready for further instructions to be able do that when the eventuality arises.

The tools required to re-package apps for re-installation via Preware have already been written and tested.

Obviously, whilst the app catalog is still functioning it is not appropriate to give those instructions.
Old 08/02/2012, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There are ways to get the ipk while installing from the App Catalog and this works on all apps I have tested it on so far. The method really isn't rocket science and already described elsewhere in case you're looking for it.

I won't share it here due to possible copy right violations that might arise from copying ipk's but I have a backup from for all my apps just in case

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Old 08/02/2012, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The repackaging doesn't work with all apps from what I have tested, copying the ipk does work on all instances so far

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Old 08/03/2012, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

The question, at this moment is: there is a "big picture" we are not seeing?

There should exist one, but it does?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 08/03/2012, 02:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
The question, at this moment is: there is a "big picture" we are not seeing?

There should exist one, but it does?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Isn't the simplest answer, from all the indicators, is that HP is simply a badly run organisation that once was well-run and had vision and now has none?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bs03 likes this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0