webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Bet on Open webOS's fate
Bet on Open webOS's fate
Like Tree13Likes

Old 08/01/2012, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

What is your bet?

I'm betting that it will go the way of Linux. Ask the masses and they never heard of Linux, and they don't use Linux; BUT they do use DVD players, Roku, DVRs, and lots of other things running off Linux. I think that there will be some who can and will keep it going as an OS but we will be few in number. I think it will become a hidden tool.

My husband is thinking more like OS/2. No maintainance, no updates, no significant support, and death.
He also compares it to things like Betamax. The better product can lose and become a footnote in history. (I hope we aren't looking too old with these references.)

B
bs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Spherelander likes this.
Old 08/01/2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Funny you mention that, because I've recently received a number of mailings from the company that maintains and updates and supports OS/2 now.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Really?!?!

I know it is still out there in the wild because corps can't/won't invest in changing from it.
Who supports it these days? IBM wrote it off years ago.
bs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

same as the trusty amiga, most of it (after 2-3 failed companies tried to make cash off it) ended up as bits and pieces for kiosks/lottery machines/interactive presentation devices etc.

it would be sad if webOS ended up just the hidden "guts" of various other products, mind you HP couldnt even do that with their planned webOS printers.
Old 08/01/2012, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
Really?!?!

I know it is still out there in the wild because corps can't/won't invest in changing from it.
Who supports it these days? IBM wrote it off years ago.
It's a company called eComStation. I know for a few years they were trying to push forward, but I'm pretty sure now it's just a "keep it running on modern hardware" kind of thing.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 08/01/2012, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

my bet is the time i've invested in purchasing / acquiring numerous devices, learning webos development, and releasing numerous apps built and optimized to work better on webos than other platforms

that's my bet, what's yours?

p.s. i'm just one person, i'm sure there's other devs out there who are betting bigger.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll put $50 on 10, Black & Even.
Old 08/02/2012, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

My hope: WebOS makes it to the top or at least to a serious competitor

Seeing, that there are only very few app devs left, that there is no hardwarecompany that seems interested in the OS, that there are no initiatives by HP to get the OS marketed etc etc etc...
...my bet is: openWebOS is dead at birth. So sad it sounds, so sad I feel about it. But once I swipe aside the hopes clouding my intellect, that is what is left.
Old 08/02/2012, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post

Seeing, that there are only very few app devs left, that there is no hardwarecompany that seems interested in the OS, that there are no initiatives by HP to get the OS marketed etc etc etc...
...my bet is: openWebOS is dead at birth. So sad it sounds, so sad I feel about it. But once I swipe aside the hopes clouding my intellect, that is what is left.
yeah i agree with this. after literally waiting all damn year, holding onto a tiny sliver of hope. hp just took a huge dump on all of us waiting for this to be delivered. it would have been better for them to just kill it off a year ago instead of stringing us along all this time.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Spherelander likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

the most i see is a few devs porting webos to existing devices.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

A sneaking suspicion has been growing on me since the announcement that Open Source won't support legacy hardware...

To wit: OpenMobile's ACL will support OpenSourcewebOS and not be enabled for legacy software.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
A sneaking suspicion has been growing on me since the announcement that Open Source won't support legacy hardware...

To wit: OpenMobile's ACL will support OpenSourcewebOS and not be enabled for legacy software.
probably the only way anyone (webos related anyways) would dare buy any new tablet device from them ever tbh (if it magically ended up with a webOS port to accompany whatever is native to it).
Old 08/02/2012, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx View Post
yeah i agree with this. after literally waiting all damn year, holding onto a tiny sliver of hope. hp just took a huge dump on all of us waiting for this to be delivered. it would have been better for them to just kill it off a year ago instead of stringing us along all this time.
HPalm has never made any statements that the next version of the system would be supported on existing devices. How many Android systems get official upgrades? How many iOS devices? (hint: Android: very very few. iOS: only the ones that use substantially the same hardware as the current model) How many Windows devices? (none)

Outside of iOS, which uses largely identical hardware just with faster clockspeeds and more RAM for each generation, no one gets supported OS upgrades on their mobiles. And if you have an iPhone 3 (not GS) you're screwed there, as well. I'm personally hoping that iOS drops the 3GS support with their next release, as well, considering that game publishers often want to try to support everything that possibly can be supported, and the 3GS is so underpowered compared to the 4 line, and what will undoubtedly be in the 5 line, that it's ridiculous for them to keep offering upgrades. However, it's processor is still compatible, SO .. they can keep doing it I guess.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 08/02/2012, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
cgk

Oops mistake.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
... But once I swipe aside the hopes clouding my intellect...
Ah...I see what you did there...swipe...as in gestures...as in webOS...cool...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 08/02/2012, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Your intellect has a Gesture Area?
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover and 1 others like this.
Old 08/02/2012, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
What is your bet?

I'm betting that it will go the way of Linux. Ask the masses and they never heard of Linux, and they don't use Linux; BUT they do use DVD players, Roku, DVRs, and lots of other things running off Linux. I think that there will be some who can and will keep it going as an OS but we will be few in number. I think it will become a hidden tool.

My husband is thinking more like OS/2. No maintainance, no updates, no significant support, and death.
He also compares it to things like Betamax. The better product can lose and become a footnote in history. (I hope we aren't looking too old with these references.)

B
The difference from Linux, is that Linux requires a completely different way of operating PCs and has a huge learning curve.
webOS is slick and intuitive and with Enyo, devs can develop for webOS and every other platform at the same time, something that means any Enyo dev is therefore potentially a webOS dev.

OS2 was better than Windows at the time, but wasn't able to be open sourced due to shared code with NT, therefore was doomed soon after IBM dropped it. Open webOS will continue to improve even with a small user base on the evidence so far. As soon as a bit of it has been opened, hackers have come up with improvements/changes in days!

Betamax had a higher quality picture, but the tapes held less content. The public were inclined to prefer MORE rather than less at the time, in the same way that today's people are quite happy to listen to low quality MP3s rather than higher quality lossless formats because they have been sold on having hundreds of song on their device.
A similar mentality helped sink webOS for HP/Palm. Reviewers were obsessed with having a million apps regardless of quality.
My bet is that as soon as Openmobile allows webOS is able to run Android apps in a better UI, a hardware manufacturer will pick it up and run with it.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
What is your bet?

I'm betting that it will go the way of Linux. Ask the masses and they never heard of Linux, and they don't use Linux; BUT they do use DVD players, Roku, DVRs, and lots of other things running off Linux..
B
.and Android phones (which use the Linux kernel), and Google (which has always ran on Linux servers)
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 08:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
The difference from Linux, is that Linux requires a completely different way of operating PCs and has a huge learning curve.
Care to elaborate on this? I've been using computers for 20 years. Before Windows 95 revolutionized the PC world. I've installed every version of Windows since 3.11 for Work Groups and multiple versions of Desktop Linux since Redhat Linux 5.0. Desktop Linux today is by far the easiest OS to install on a PC/Laptop. Easier than anything Microsoft has ever offered.

Desktop Linux works the same way if not better than all versions of Windows, to include 7. The desktop environments in Linux (KDE and GNOME) are usually installed by default and offer the same look and feel as Windows. You can then easily modify it to look like just about anything you want.

Desktop Linux also offers cool features like true transparencies, wobbly windows, 3d windows, and transitions that run on a lot less power than Windows. I'm typing this on a desktop that I built 10 years ago. It has a single core AMD 64 bit processor with just 1GB of RAM and an nVidia GeForce 5700 video card. I dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint 12 on it. I had to install both. I installed Windows 7 first (over Windows 98). Took me over an hour. I had a hard time finding drivers for it and I can't turn on all of the desktop eyecandy. I install LM12 last (over another version of Desktop Linux). Took me 20 minutes and I have all of the eyecandy I want turned on. Runs like a champ.

The only problem with Linux (on the desktop) for most users is that it doesn't come pre-installed. When you get an OS pre-installed, someone else went through all of the trouble to get everything working right for you. You didn't have to go through the pain so you "think" the pre-installed OS you are using (Windows) is easier to use than one you would have to install yourself (Linux).

That being said, I don't think too many of you even know what Linux is. I can't fault you because it is a little confusing to grasp. Linux is just a kernel and drivers; the "core" operating system. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Mepis, Android, webOS, Meego, Maemo, OpenMoko, Tivo, and others are built on top of the Linux operating system. So to say that webOS will go the way of Linux is redundant, since webOS is built on top of Linux.

Read the Linux wiki page for a better explanation:

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also attached a screenshot of my Linux desktop.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I think the confusion lies in the fact that on the embedded Linux side, most companies add features and customized apps to Linux then call their product a new "OS" even though it is technically not (Linux is still the OS). On the desktop side when someone adds new features and customized apps to Linux, the OS is still called Linux, but the product is called a distribution (Distrowatch.com).

Last edited by k4ever; 08/02/2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08/02/2012, 08:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Care to elaborate on this? I've been using computers for 20 years. Before Windows 95 revolutionized the PC world. I've installed every version of Windows since 3.11 for Work Groups and multiple versions of Desktop Linux since Redhat Linux 5.0. Desktop Linux today is by far the easiest OS to install on a PC/Laptop. Easier than anything Microsoft has ever offered.

Desktop Linux works the same way if not better than all versions of Windows, to include 7. The desktop environments in Linux (KDE and GNOME) are usually installed by default and offer the same look and feel as Windows. You can then easily modify it to look like just about anything you want.

Desktop Linux also offers cool features like true transparencies, wobbly windows, 3d windows, and transitions that run on a lot less power than Windows. I'm typing this on a desktop that I built 10 years ago. It has a single core AMD 64 bit processor with just 1GB of RAM and an nVidia GeForce 5700 video card. I dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint 12 on it. I had to install both. I installed Windows 7 first (over Windows 98). Took me over an hour. I had a hard time finding drivers for it and I can't turn on all of the desktop eyecandy. I install LM12 last (over another version of Desktop Linux). Took me 20 minutes and I have all of the eyecandy I want turned on. Runs like a champ.

The only problem with Linux (on the desktop) for most users is that it doesn't come pre-installed. When you get an OS pre-installed, someone else went through all of the trouble to get everything working right for you. You didn't have to go through the pain so you "think" the pre-installed OS you are using (Windows) is easier to use than one you would have to install yourself (Linux).

That being said, I don't think too many of you even know what Linux is. I can't fault you because it is a little confusing to grasp. Linux is just a kernel and drivers; the "core" operating system. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Mepis, Android, webOS, Meego, Maemo, OpenMoko, Tivo, and others are built on top of the Linux operating system. So to say that webOS will go the way of Linux is redundant, since webOS is built on top of Linux.

Read the Linux wiki page for a better explanation:

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also attached a screenshot of my Linux desktop.
...forgot the screenshot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snapshot2.jpg (108.7 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0