webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Bet on Open webOS's fate
Bet on Open webOS's fate
Like Tree13Likes

Old 08/02/2012, 08:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

It's all about the apps.

I know people cringe to hear the chatter of getting Android apps to run on webOS, but it will be easier to sell if as a concept instead of " hey look at this cool thing, but it has no apps".

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 09:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx View Post
yeah i agree with this. after literally waiting all damn year, holding onto a tiny sliver of hope. hp just took a huge dump on all of us waiting for this to be delivered. it would have been better for them to just kill it off a year ago instead of stringing us along all this time.
That's the same thing that I'm been thinking all along, why HP had to fool around the matter with this Open Source project of WebOS ? I think that it would have been better for them to be honest from the very beginning, and now all of us are with useless devices and no future support. But we should seen it coming when HP made the decision of releasing a community version of WebOS 3.0.5 that the TouchPad runs on it....maybe they had though of it long time ago. Just that is sad to see WebOS comes to this point.....
Old 08/02/2012, 09:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
It's all about the apps.

I know people cringe to hear the chatter of getting Android apps to run on webOS, but it will be easier to sell if as a concept instead of " hey look at this cool thing, but it has no apps".
Yeah, the problem is that Android apps come at a very steep price: You got to use Android to get them. There are also a boatload of crappy ones. However, I will take crappy and works over not having anything at all. I hope that open webOS is released with open ACL built in. That way we get the apps without having to use the crappy OS.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 10:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
...forgot the screenshot...
Yes I will elaborate, but will not waste much time as it is obvious that you don't really know much about PC OSes at all.

For starters you think Windows 95 was an OS and it 'revolutionised' the PC world, so don't start lecturing us about what Linux is and isn't.
Windows 95 isn't an OS and DIDN'T revolutionise the PC world. It was simply a GUI shell on top of 16 bit DOS which dates back to the first IBM PCs built. DOS was the operating system, Win 95 was just as shell, exactly as Win 3.0,3.1 and 3.11 were.

OS/2 was revolutionary for a whole bunch of reasons (32 bit, TRUE multi-tasking, built in speech recognition, etc) you can look up while you're finding out what DOS was (hint: it was before Win 3.11).
It also ran very fast on 486 hardware with 16Mb of memory. The history of it's demise is interesting but largely due to Microsoft criminal anti-competitive practices (of which they were finally convicted, but too late)

Linux is easy to install, but a completely different to operate than Windows, which is why it is not as popular on the desktop. 'Dependancy hell' drove me away from Linux as well as the difficulty in getting drivers for hardware.
Linux is a great OS, but not because it can do wobbly windows and other eye candy, Windows can do that as well as anyone.
I use my computers for real work, not just dicking around.

Last edited by NoApple; 08/02/2012 at 10:15 PM.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 10:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
...forgot the screenshot...
CE might survive for a while a short while at that. Open webOS will be still born. After eleven months my case has finally got four cracks at the speakers. I think a mac book air or ipad maybe Asus tablet well be next up my desk.
eshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I will elaborate, but will not waste much time as it is obvious that you don't really know much about PC OSes at all.

For starters you think Windows 95 was an OS and it 'revolutionised' the PC world, so don't start lecturing us about what Linux is and isn't.
Windows 95 isn't an OS and DIDN'T revolutionise the PC world. It was simply a GUI shell on top of 16 bit DOS which dates back to the first IBM PCs built. DOS was the operating system, Win 95 was just as shell, exactly as Win 3.0,3.1 and 3.11 were.

OS/2 was revolutionary for a whole bunch of reasons (32 bit, TRUE multi-tasking, built in speech recognition, etc) you can look up while you're finding out what DOS was (hint: it was before Win 3.11).
It also ran very fast on 486 hardware with 16Mb of memory. The history of it's demise is interesting but largely due to Microsoft criminal anti-competitive practices (of which they were finally convicted, but too late)

Linux is easy to install, but a completely different to operate than Windows, which is why it is not as popular on the desktop. 'Dependancy hell' drove me away from Linux as well as the difficulty in getting drivers for hardware.
Linux is a great OS, but not because it can do wobbly windows and other eye candy, Windows can do that as well as anyone.
I use my computers for real work, not just dicking around.

Windows 95 was the name given to the combined DOS 7.0 and Windows 4.0. Before Windows 95 you could run DOS and Windows separately. Afterwards you could not (at least not easily). Using your logic Windows 7 is just a shell over the top of a kernel. This is an old debate.

I'm not arguing whether Windows 95 was better or worse than OS/2. By the time I even learned what OS/2 was, it was already dead. If I remember right, IBM paid Microsoft to develop the OS/2 but let Microsoft keep some of the code. IBM only wanted OS/2 for their computers also. IBM screwed up. Microsoft then developed Windows 95 and put it on more machines. IBM kept OS/2, but Windows 95 was more popular so Windows 95 won out. IBM eventually starting putting Windows on their machines.

No one has been to dependency hell for a while with Linux. That was a problem over a decade ago but not so today. Especially not with utilities like apt. How long has it been since you used desktop Linux? Next thing you know you will be complaining about having to manually mount devices or using the command line (both of which no one has had to do for a long while).

There is more productivity software on Linux than you can shake a stick at. Just about anything you do on Windows you can do on Linux, except play some high end games (only thing I really keep Windows around for). Oh, and Linux runs on over 50% of the cell phones in the United States (Android/webOS) so a lot of people are using it to get stuff done.

Don't hate on the wobbly windows or any of the other UI tricks on the Linux desktop. They make the desktop fun and add to usability, just like cards do in webOS. Thing is you can use them on less than 1GB of RAM. You can't do the same with 1GB of RAM on Windows.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Old 08/03/2012, 06:59 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Windows 95 was the name given to the combined DOS 7.0 and Windows 4.0. Before Windows 95 you could run DOS and Windows separately. Afterwards you could not (at least not easily). Using your logic Windows 7 is just a shell over the top of a kernel. This is an old debate.

I'm not arguing whether Windows 95 was better or worse than OS/2. By the time I even learned what OS/2 was, it was already dead. If I remember right, IBM paid Microsoft to develop the OS/2 but let Microsoft keep some of the code. IBM only wanted OS/2 for their computers also. IBM screwed up. Microsoft then developed Windows 95 and put it on more machines. IBM kept OS/2, but Windows 95 was more popular so Windows 95 won out. IBM eventually starting putting Windows on their machines.

No one has been to dependency hell for a while with Linux. That was a problem over a decade ago but not so today. Especially not with utilities like apt. How long has it been since you used desktop Linux? Next thing you know you will be complaining about having to manually mount devices or using the command line (both of which no one has had to do for a long while).

There is more productivity software on Linux than you can shake a stick at. Just about anything you do on Windows you can do on Linux, except play some high end games (only thing I really keep Windows around for). Oh, and Linux runs on over 50% of the cell phones in the United States (Android/webOS) so a lot of people are using it to get stuff done.

Don't hate on the wobbly windows or any of the other UI tricks on the Linux desktop. They make the desktop fun and add to usability, just like cards do in webOS. Thing is you can use them on less than 1GB of RAM. You can't do the same with 1GB of RAM on Windows.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
1. Wrong again (don't you access to wikipedia?) Windows 4 never existed, except as an unofficial name for what became Windows NT, which was largely produced as part of the IBM/Microsoft OS/2 partnership.
Windows 4/NT was a new OS. (not DOS) Whereas Win95 was 100% DOS. I know nothing about Win7.

2. Agreed, IBM screwed up. You know nothing about OS/2 so I excuse your ignorance.

3. Drivers - Can you give me the link for the Ubuntu 8.10 WiFi driver for an Asrock 3D ? I can't find it.

4. Productivity - Also a link to the Linux version of MS Office would be handy.

5. I don't hate wobbly windows, i just don't see any value in them. I have my fun away from computers.

6. Less than 1GB RAM; OS/2 ran on super fast on 16 MB of RAM (i.e. 0.016 GB of RAM)

Let's not argue the the toss, it's a webOS forum, so focus grasshopper, focus!!!
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 08:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

ENOUGH!!!!!!

This thread is " Bet on Open webOS's fate" not a history of PC OSes.

I guess I should not have tried to use examples in my op.

I bet that Open webOS will end up used as a "hidden" OS in things with touch screens. I think that the new appliances (refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.) might adopt it.

My husband thinks that it will become a "legacy" OS. One or Two specialized things (think medical devices, atms, or something) might adopt it and then never update or change because it would be too much trouble.

Now try to stay on point or start your own thread.

B

ps- I have been bs03 since a VAX system in the 80's.
bs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 09:09 AM   #29 (permalink)

Any future OS bickering will be deleted from this thread. Try and stay on topic, as per the OP's request. Thanks.
Old 08/03/2012, 06:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
ENOUGH!!!!!!

This thread is " Bet on Open webOS's fate" not a history of PC OSes.

I guess I should not have tried to use examples in my op.

I bet that Open webOS will end up used as a "hidden" OS in things with touch screens. I think that the new appliances (refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.) might adopt it.

My husband thinks that it will become a "legacy" OS. One or Two specialized things (think medical devices, atms, or something) might adopt it and then never update or change because it would be too much trouble.

Now try to stay on point or start your own thread.

B

ps- I have been bs03 since a VAX system in the 80's.
I can only apologize for my part in the whole incident.

Back to your OP, I think it is too early to be placing bets on whether open webOS will succeed or fail. There are too many variables. IMO the only reason webOS is alive today and beloved by those who defend it is the interface. Luna makes using a portable device about as easy as using a desktop device. WebOS hasn't taken off for various reasons:

-crappy hardware
-too long between device releases
-lack of apps (due to a lack of development interest which is due to a lack of user interest which is due to a lack of devices that are worthwhile)
-idiotic decisions by HP

I think since open webOS will be open source and based on the standard Linux kernel, it will have the ability to be installed on multiple devices. This should eliminate the first two reasons on my list. People who want it can simple chose to install it on their devices and use it next to or instead of the OS the device original came with.

If ACL is released for open webOS, the third reason will be eliminated. This is kind of a double edged sword. It will eliminate the app gap between webOS and Android. Then it will just be a battle of interfaces. However it (ACL's release) has the ability to kill native app development on webOS.

The last reason will be very hard to overcome. Unfortunately you can't stop others from doing stupid things. HP is already ****ing off the few loyal webOS users left by not offering drivers for legacy hardware. They are not stopping anyone from installing open webOS on legacy hardware, just making it harder on the community who has to come up with solutions to the issue. HP could have just re-compiled binary versions of the drivers against the kernel for us and included them as a separate download like all the other companies that offer proprietary drivers for Linux do.

So if the OS can overcome these obstacles, I think it will be another success story for the embedded Linux world. If they can't be overcome you husband may just be right. Only time will tell.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0