webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What are the odds that HP keeps the app store open?
What are the odds that HP keeps the app store open?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 2 Post By eblade
  • 2 Post By sledge007

Old 08/01/2012, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
cgk

Given the recent news (which is surely going to accelerate the exodus from the platform) - what do people think the odds are that HP keeps the app store open for any significant period of time after the September release?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

HP is hiring for webOS-- see www.webosjobs.com

Also the TouchPad was just out a year ago. So I would think HP would support the store for at least another year, maybe more, depending on incremental costs. Also, they just got finished releasing the community edition so surely they are hoping for the community to keep current version of webOS alive that way while openwebOS is given time to get some partners.

So hold on to your urge to celebrate, my friend. There's many an unforseen twist and turn in the mobile tech sector and even though webOS going down means less competition for your beloved OS of choice, it ain't happening yet.

Last edited by bluenote; 08/01/2012 at 09:34 AM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treodoc755 and RoverNole like this.
Old 08/01/2012, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, I have heard that some still purchased Verizon Pre2's from Verizon, so some users would still be under a "contract" with Verizon, the question is what "contract" does the carriers have with HP/Palm, and if HP/Palm already breached those (I have not seen any law suits), also what of any rights do end users have?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Well, I have heard that some still purchased Verizon Pre2's from Verizon, so some users would still be under a "contract" with Verizon, the question is what "contract" does the carriers have with HP/Palm, and if HP/Palm already breached those (I have not seen any law suits), also what of any rights do end users have?
Looking at the terms and conditions, I think they could pull it at any time with no problems.
Old 08/01/2012, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
HP is hiring for webOS-- see webosjobs.com

Also the TouchPad was just out a year ago. So I would think HP would support the store for at least another year, maybe more, depending on incremental costs. Also, they just got finished releasing the community edition so surely they are hoping for the community to keep current version of webOS alive that way while openwebOS is given time to get some partners.

So hold on to your urge to celebrate, my friend. There's many an unforseen twist and turn in the mobile tech sector and even though webOS going down means less competition for your beloved OS of choice, it ain't happening yet.
That is whatever is cheapest, so it changes all the time.
Old 08/01/2012, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rnp

Again, CGK? Again?
Posting words to try create panic here, "hidden in valid question together"? Putz...

About your question, no body knows, because no body out of the HP board directors have some idea if other companies gona or not use webOS in this devices.

Best Regards...
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 08/01/2012, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Again, CGK? Again?
Posting words to try create panic here, "hidden in valid question together"? Putz...
To be honest, it's a good question to be asking right now.
Old 08/01/2012, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

I guess if they're spending more money on electricity powering the servers that act as the App Catalog, than they are taking in on profits....one might think that might be a good reason to turn them off. Other than that, why else would they shut them off?
Old 08/01/2012, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
I guess if they're spending more money on electricity powering the servers that act as the App Catalog, than they are taking in on profits....one might think that might be a good reason to turn them off. Other than that, why else would they shut them off?
There are most costs than that - there is the opportunity cost of using the servers, staff to keep them running etc etc.
Old 08/01/2012, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Note that there are several positions open on the webosjobs.com site for cloud services. The cloud services include the store. Also, there have been many upgrades made to the store in the last few months. Not that that's really indicative of anything, considering the Apothekerlypse.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter and Vistaus like this.
Old 08/01/2012, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

if they get open webOS by whatever means onto various devices that other companies have manufactured and manage it so an app simply has "open webOS" as a requirement rather than the actual device type then they can still make money off their app catalogue, even with enyo2 going fully cross platform they could just as easily have a "made with enyo" app catalogue on other devices like ios/android and again make some profit.

they have blown a lot of cash recently, suffered cutbacks, had significant share losses, lots distrust them and not just us end user hardware geeks either, they could do with gaining support from as many potential sources of cash they can even if it means enyo apps on android/ios or attempting to gain more customers via other peoples hardware as an OS choice or optional extra.
Old 08/01/2012, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Well if they are still selling at retail, they are still under a 1 year warranty from manufacturer
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Well if they are still selling at retail, they are still under a 1 year warranty from manufacturer
I bought my Pre2 from DailySteals.com...i 'replaced' my phone on Verizon network...I did not 're-up' my contract with them. I don't know if this obligates them to support my phone or not. I'm afraid the answer is 'not', I want the answer to be "we'll support it for years to come!"

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
I bought my Pre2 from DailySteals.com...i 'replaced' my phone on Verizon network...I did not 're-up' my contract with them. I don't know if this obligates them to support my phone or not. I'm afraid the answer is 'not', I want the answer to be "we'll support it for years to come!"
Not sure how DailySteals sourced their stock, but my guess it was through HP/normal distribution channels. Unless DailySteals/HP explicitly stated no warranty (like they did on the employee sale items) you have a 1 year manufacturers warranty.

The only other caveat to my statement above would be refurb purchases, refurbs usually carry either 30 days or 90 days (can't remember what HP's policy is, but this is pretty much industry standard for refurbs or open box items).

I'm not sure if the employee purchase items that were released for sale (Veer, Pre2, etc) carry any warranty since they were sold at retail. I know the Pre3's (other than some of those few that were sold in the EU) and any other never officially released device do not carry warranty.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Some wise guy once said:
"If you wanna know the truth, follow the money".

Is there any money left to earn for HP in the app catalog?
Are there any devs who still make more than a neglectible share of money with it?
Are their any contracts that prohobit HP to cut that costmaker?

If all three questions can be answered with "NO", I would say the app catalogs days are numbered.

My guess so far.
And yes, I too think that CGKs question is valid. It is not so much "causing panic" as "keeping an open mind, unclouded of hopes which would get the better of you" ...
Old 08/02/2012, 03:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

I mentioned this is another thread, but seems like it would fit well here as well:

From
WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals
Chapter 10

INFORMATION:

What About My Apps?

When the HP App Catalog is shut down, we will need to be able to reinstall paid apps that we have purchased on the devices for which they have been purchased.

The webOS Survival Kit includes everything you need to be in a position ready for further instructions to be able do that when the eventuality arises.

The tools required to re-package apps for re-installation via Preware have already been written and tested.

Obviously, whilst the app catalog is still functioning it is not appropriate to give those instructions.
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0