webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Seriously..?
Seriously..?
Like Tree40Likes

Old 07/31/2012, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

No Open WebOS support for existing WebOS devices, no soup for you -- Engadget

Why is HP doing this?
konner920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Why would they spend a year developing a major update for a line of discontinued phones and the Touchpad?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konner920 View Post
LOL I love it when people post articles from sites getting their news from our front page

http://www.webosnation.com/open-webo...-webos-devices

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, bevcraw, Rockbeast and 5 others like this.
Old 07/31/2012, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You can't move forward very easily while looking at the past. If it's possible to get it operating on existing devices, I'm sure someone will. HP won't offer the support on it, though.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 08/01/2012, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
You can't move forward very easily while looking at the past. ....
This statement is normally valid.
I say "normally", because with HP, NOTHING is normal.

Not to look back, because you are moving forward only applies if someone moves forward. HP isn't. Actually they are not having any hardware for smartphones and tablets for sale afaik.
So yes, if they would actually have something new, I would see them NOT supporting the past hardware.

Seeing as they have nothing and seeing that they don't seem to be very eager to get other hardware companies to use their product, I would say that supporting at least the few products still on the market might be a smarter move than putting the new openWebOS on the shelve from the beginning.

But hey, that's just common sense and be honest: when was the last time we witnessed something aching to common sense in HP?
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 08/01/2012, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Don't forget...

HP had planned to jump on the Win RT Tablet which is an ARM device. There may have been a non-compete idea forced on the webOS Open Source team from factions inside HP with ties to Msft.

However, Msft didn't off RT OEMs until quite recently causing HP to abandon RT. I'm seeing how it makes sense that not supporting Touchpad with Open Source webOS may have been a long term strategy that can't be reversed this late in the game.

Once again, HP burns webOS users, but I believe they may have gotten a blister or two as well. They are forced to retreat to x86 tech in the mobile arena. Is that really a long term position that has merit?

The phones not being supported does not really surprise me and now, with hindsight, neither does the lack of support for an ARM based Tab...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Part of what we get with the brand new Open webOS components is no longer being dependent on some old legacy things ..

Quote:
This major upgrade incorporates the latest QtWebKit and Qt technologies in an improved architecture. Modern QtWebKit now underlies all applications, providing state-of-the-art support for HTML rendering and I/O. The latest stable release of Qt has been integrated across the system, eliminating alternate rendering paths and providing a clean base for the future
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by fxspec06 and Garrett92C like this.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 08/01/2012, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post

Not to look back, because you are moving forward only applies if someone moves forward. HP isn't. Actually they are not having any hardware for smartphones and tablets for sale afaik.
So yes, if they would actually have something new, I would see them NOT supporting the past hardware.

Seeing as they have nothing and seeing that they don't seem to be very eager to get other hardware companies to use their product, I would say that supporting at least the few products still on the market might be a smarter move than putting the new openWebOS on the shelve from the beginning.

But hey, that's just common sense and be honest: when was the last time we witnessed something aching to common sense in HP?
with a recent reputation for abandoning several products they were still activly advertising and pumping hype for then instantly dumping them spectacularly without even a wind down whod trust them tbh?

what manufacturer would be insane enough to partner with HP given that track record, its a pretty bad scar left that just we can see, how about the bigger kick in the face their spares/component manufacturers/phone dealers etc had to suffer?

its no surprise esp when you take into consideration that leo is idd gone but the bickering foolish board of directors/share holders etc that all helped bring about that ruin are still there, a new CEO/face wont fix that issue.

just because a rotten apple gets a shiney new apple skin round it doesnt mean the rotten stuff inside has gone, weve seen enough storys from the aftermath that suggested as much, there was several posts and storys about infighting backstabbing and allsorts of stupidity, and imho ray lane as a main suspect in several of those storys looked like a self obsessed self important backstabbing little git (merely my own personal opinion).

if i was a big company and knew about all the details durign and after that fiasco i know i wouldnt part money to take a risk with HP incase they pulled another 180 and threw their toys out the pram again, but thats just me.
Old 08/01/2012, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Seeing as they have nothing and seeing that they don't seem to be very eager to get other hardware companies to use their product
This statement is pure speculation and baseless. Not only do they have a brand new operating system they are working on (yes, brand new), none of us have any idea what they are working on, who they are working with, or what their plans are outside of that roadmap we see. One thing is for certain, the roadmap does not and will not end in September 2012.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and kataran like this.
Old 08/01/2012, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
This statement is pure speculation and baseless. Not only do they have a brand new operating system they are working on (yes, brand new), none of us have any idea what they are working on, who they are working with, or what their plans are outside of that roadmap we see. One thing is for certain, the roadmap does not and will not end in September 2012.
You'll have to forgive us if we seem a little skeptical on that until September actually arrives.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by Spherelander likes this.
Old 08/01/2012, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
You'll have to forgive us if we seem a little skeptical on that until September actually arrives.
I'll keep trying. I'm optimistic by nature

Liked by Rnp, HelloNNNewman, kataran and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/01/2012, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I believe you're correct, but I'm sure that as the TouchPad prices dropped about this time 12 months ago, many people that are no longer here thought that that would be the thing that was needed to give webOS a major boost in the world, before they were absolutely blindsided by the events 18 days from then.

Of course, many people also couldn't see that there really was no measure of success even possible for a tablet at that time -- the only reason Android tablets are moving now, is because there are many thousands of them that were produced over a year ago with Android 2, that were junk when they were produced over a year ago, and trying to take the ground the TouchPad should've been in to start with, price wise. Those tablets are now $50-$90 as every clearance outlet on the internet is trying to unload that crap, so now everyone's like "OOOH ANDROID IPADS ARE ONLY $100!!!" and then finding out that they are complete crap.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by HelloNNNewman, renater and fxspec06 like this.
Old 08/01/2012, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I believe you're correct, but I'm sure that as the TouchPad prices dropped about this time 12 months ago, many people that are no longer here thought that that would be the thing that was needed to give webOS a major boost in the world, before they were absolutely blindsided by the events 18 days from then.

Of course, many people also couldn't see that there really was no measure of success even possible for a tablet at that time -- the only reason Android tablets are moving now, is because there are many thousands of them that were produced over a year ago with Android 2, that were junk when they were produced over a year ago, and trying to take the ground the TouchPad should've been in to start with, price wise. Those tablets are now $50-$90 as every clearance outlet on the internet is trying to unload that crap, so now everyone's like "OOOH ANDROID IPADS ARE ONLY $100!!!" and then finding out that they are complete crap.
Maybe if the hardware manufacturers actually tried to make unique products or work on improving Android as an operating system together instead of releasing the same boring product day after day they'd find they could have more success

Take a look at Amazon, they did just that and they had super success, and I doubt the Fire has that better hardware than all those clearance tablets

Lack of effort == lack of sales, lazy products combined with rare update support with weak features will not equate to sales. just because we're in a tech "boom" doesn't make it easy to "capitalize"

Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/01/2012, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That second to last line should be posted in large letters at the top of every corporate HQ. Just like every major league baseball clubhouse has posted "NO BETTING ON BASEBALL" (at least, that's what i've heard, having never actually been in a MLB clubhouse).

"Lack of effort == Lack of sales. Lazy products will not sell." -fxspec06

(hope you don't mind that I paraphrased it)
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 08/01/2012, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rnp

Only a small point: an official update leave in HP the responsability about problems in devices with less than 01 year.

A unofficial release, don't.

Best Regards...
Old 08/01/2012, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Only a small point: an official update leave in HP the responsability about problems in devices with less than 01 year.

A unofficial release, don't.

Best Regards...
didnt quite catch what you meant there.
Old 08/01/2012, 04:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

No support does not mean there won't be any version available, just that you can't run crying to HP if it starts the zombie apocalypse.

Still I'm quite p*ssed. I don't imagine you could really make use of all of the differences between vanilla 3.3 and patched 2.6.35, thus this should be doable.
filmor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 05:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
didnt quite catch what you meant there.
maybe HP can have a homebrew-supported "unofficial" version
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 08/01/2012, 08:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Definitely agree with your statements there, specially with the way that HP decided to suddenly end support from the current devices that runs the WebOS on the market(like the Palm Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3 and Touchpad). I think that it would have been better decision to keep their support of those old legacy devices that start from scratch with a new operating system that no hardware runs it. But again ,where has HP ever use commom sense anyways....look at the way they hired Leo Apotheker?

Damn to those at HP,

Anyhow, So my questions to me that I ask(specially hearing all of this announcements), what will happen to our current devices, total garbage now?.....no more future software updates from HP to our devices who has bugs that needs to be fixed, looks like we again are forgotten and left behind like WebOS 2.0 didn't supported the Palm Pre and Pixi? And what about the WebOS development of Apps, how we could attract developers when the current hardware no longer works with the newer Open WebOS and we no support for future hardware ?
Old 08/01/2012, 10:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
maybe HP can have a homebrew-supported "unofficial" version
Replace HP with Homebrew Developers. I'd put my money on that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0