webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Seriously..?
Seriously..?
Like Tree40Likes

Old 08/06/2012, 01:42 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Very astute... HP is obviously not setting themselves up to be an OS publisher making money from licensing fees or the OS would not be Open Source.
True so far. HP is per definition a hardware producer and would normally be rather the one producing the hardware and buying the license for an OS to use.
Now they are on the other side of the panhandle and I think that's one of the things where the confusion is coming from: they seem to simply not know what to do with that child they are bearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
There remains no economic incentive for them to support the OS once it is released into the wild.
Well there COULD be. If hardwareproducers put the OS on their devices, it will still be HP's WebOS and thus carrying out the name. Everyone associates Google with Android. But Android was a story of success. We will see if openWebOS will be.
If it is, it might wash off some of the "looser"-stench from HP...

And again: just my 2 cents
Old 08/06/2012, 10:07 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
True so far. HP is per definition a hardware producer and would normally be rather the one producing the hardware and buying the license for an OS to use.
Now they are on the other side of the panhandle and I think that's one of the things where the confusion is coming from: they seem to simply not know what to do with that child they are bearing...
The thing is, it seems they got so confused that they bungled everything. We can rationalize things out and come up with plausible reasons why cancelling webOS hardware wasn't the worst business decision in the world, but there's no getting away from the fact that it was the worst execution in the world. I mean, compare how they handled it to how IBM (who they may have been seeking to emulate) handled the selling of their PC business to Lenovo. There were buzzings and rumors, and then the deal was done and announced with reassurances to current customers that operations would continue as normal and support would continue.

Compared to IBM's HP's execution was literally like someone rolled a 30 gallon drum of gasoline into the living room, lobbed a grenade in through the picture window, and then held an open house trying to sell the place while the occupants are running out into the street screaming and firefighters are working feverishly to keep the place from burning to the ground.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2012, 10:12 AM   #43 (permalink)

I don't argue with that, Marcel. You are running against open doors here
Old 08/06/2012, 11:01 AM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

marced: except there were no firefighters, or if there were, they were too in shock to do anything.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0