webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Seriously..?
Seriously..?
Like Tree40Likes

Old 08/01/2012, 10:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
what will happen to our current devices, total garbage now?.....no more future software updates from HP to our devices who has bugs that needs to be fixed, looks like we again are forgotten and left behind like WebOS 2.0 didn't supported the Palm Pre and Pixi?
Total garbage now? Seriously? Do you even use your devices right now, on a regular basis? I use my phone everyday. Pictures, phone calls, text messages....that's about it these days, as I'm far too busy (80+ hours/week busy, that is) at work to be messing around with trivial apps. I'm am 100% certain, that (providing I don't physically break my phone....it could happen) my phone will still work.

My TouchPad still works too. Does what I need. If and a big IF, I felt the desire to use those apps that everybody else has on their Android phone/tablet...whatever....I could simply restart it and use it. Pretty rare occurrence...I've given it a lot of chances...they aren't that big of a deal for me. I'd rather be able to flip back and forth from my browser, email, bank (my bank works just great on my TouchPad...pays bills, sends money, checks balances, no issues), Twitter, the odd game...but even those I find simply waste my time...I have far better things to waste my time with....which is really limited these days, but that's also my decision.

Ok you're right, there will NOT be an official HP supported version of Open webOS for existing devices....just like you said " we again are forgotten and left behind like WebOS 2.0 didn't supported the Palm Pre and Pixi?"

Homebrew to the rescue, is all I gotta say. They've done it before, they'll do it again.We just need to wait until the code is out in entirety, and then we'll start seeing things really fly.

I've already been feeling pretty apathetic to anything HP says or does for months now, this latest "news" has had little to zero impact on my thoughts on the future (or lack thereof) of Open webOS. You should try it out.....it isn't that bad (and a whole lot less stressful, as well.)
Thanked by kataran, Vistaus
Old 08/01/2012, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

I agree with sledge. Non of this stuff phases me. I know I have a phone that does the things I do the most very well, and sometimes better than the fancy new things

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran and Vistaus like this.
Old 08/01/2012, 11:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

I posted this in the comments section of the story.

If someone bought a Touchpad during the fire sale when it was announced that HP was out of the tablet and phone business, what is there to be so upset about?

If someone bought a Pre3 when it was not even for sale officially in the US or a Veer or Pre 2 after August 18th of last year, what on earth were you expecting?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 12:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Don't forget...

The phones not being supported does not really surprise me and now, with hindsight, neither does the lack of support for an ARM based Tab...

I wouldn't be surprised if Intel released a OpenWebOS tablet or phone just to prove to the world that their new chips are viable.
JohnKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 03:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

so after all the uproar and then promises by meg, then they finally get around to releasing an open source platform. only to screw us all in the process. thanks hp. thanks for nothing.
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Spherelander likes this.
Old 08/02/2012, 07:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Ref the comment from Sledge regarding using his phone above (I don't want to quote it all)

It's similar to people still using Windows XP. Sure, the majority of things still work. But when sites move on and stop supporting IE6, your XP system becomes less useful. In the same way, when things stop working on the TP or WebOs phone, would you have gone and bought another one or asked HP to fix the problem if they still supported it.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: PalmPixi_User23
Old 08/02/2012, 09:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

I have so many apps on my phone and TP that I rarely use..but my pre2 balances my life perfect with daily use of native webOS apps as well as a few must haves....HP's announcements don't faz me at all

that said I'm curious to what the future will hold for webosnation !
Old 08/02/2012, 10:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

Same here. My touchpad still works. There are still apps being developed albeit a slower pace. I haven't found need to boot up CM9.

HP explained their reason and sad but true it makes sense. Backward compatibility would have had issues going forward. They are still putting money into webOS so something is up.

Food for thought: Imagine Apple winning the patent war with Samsung shortly after the release of WebOS Open Source...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
starbuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

i know you guys don't want to hear this and probably won't accept it but i seriously doubt any oem will pick up open webos. the most that will happen will be a few devs porting it to a variety of phones and some of the oem's stripping parts out of webos and using them in their already existing operating systems.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Replace HP with Homebrew Developers. I'd put my money on that.
sounds like a plan from invasion of the body snatchers, with HP being regular people and the homebrew teams being the body snatchers. Weird that id be rooting and cheering for the body snatchers in that instance.
Old 08/02/2012, 11:24 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
Same here. My touchpad still works. There are still apps being developed albeit a slower pace. I haven't found need to boot up CM9.

HP explained their reason and sad but true it makes sense. Backward compatibility would have had issues going forward. They are still putting money into webOS so something is up.

Food for thought: Imagine Apple winning the patent war with Samsung shortly after the release of WebOS Open Source...

im hoping its more than just HP's dreamed up plan C for if/when/maybe microsoft leave them for dead.
Old 08/02/2012, 12:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
didnt quite catch what you meant there.
1 - Avoid warranty cost if there is some problem with update.

2 - If there is an "unofficial" version release by Webos Internals; for example, the HP have no cost or responsability.

Best Regards...
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 08/02/2012, 09:19 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
Ref the comment from Sledge regarding using his phone above (I don't want to quote it all)

It's similar to people still using Windows XP. Sure, the majority of things still work. But when sites move on and stop supporting IE6, your XP system becomes less useful. In the same way, when things stop working on the TP or WebOs phone, would you have gone and bought another one or asked HP to fix the problem if they still supported it.

Alan
Thanks Alan, wow one person who finally understand my point that I was trying to get across in my post. Sooner or later, our HP touchpad is gonna stop things from working, like syncing our emails with servers among other things and who is going to fix it ? The sound bug that still plagues many us(users) that gives out the impression like if the speakers were broken ? We got to think about this things because eventually one day it will happen....ref about the speaker sound bug on Touchpad

And talking about lack of support and useless devices like the soon-to-be HP TouchPad, how we gonna handle the slow under-performing browser of the HP tablet that runs slow, has errors, wrongfully formats pages and top things off lacks major support of HTLM 5 technology ? How about the browser that HP teased with the Isis engine, not coming to TouchPad ?

Thanks HP, for failing on the community AGAIN!!!!....<edited by staff>
DIE HP

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 08/02/2012 at 11:03 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 01:16 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
This statement is pure speculation and baseless. ...
No it is not.

Is FirefoxOS out yet? No? Still you have heard of what providers there will be and what plans they have and we know a bit about the hardware.
Is the iPhone5 out yet? No? Still we know what it will look like (even though this time nobody had to "forget" it in a bar AFAIK).
Is XBox720 out yet? No? Still we know what it will look like and already know some hardwarespecs.

You know WHY we know all that?`

Because everyone having just a TOUCH of idea what marketing is all about knows, that you have to make people antsy for new devices/solutions long before they hit the market.You want the customer to drool before you feed him.

So if you have not heard anything from HP about new WebOS hardware or a partner, it is because there are none. Or else they would start marketing (or would have started months ago).

Still think it's baseless? Well, your answers show your hope, and I can relate to that. But I won't let hope get the better of me.

But we will see in September won't we? There are - what now - 4 to 8 - something weeks to build the BIG HYPE for a new openWebOS device worldwide ... mhm ... like that is going to happen in that amount of time.
Old 08/03/2012, 10:23 AM   #35 (permalink)

You're forgetting that HP clobbered their ability to leverage the drool factor by shutting down the Touchpad barely a month after it went to market.
They will have to have something to show before the market will get excited again.

starbuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 08/03/2012, 11:45 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
You're forgetting that HP clobbered their ability to leverage the drool factor by shutting down the Touchpad barely a month after it went to market.
They will have to have something to show before the market will get excited again.

down to trust issues imho, hard to trust them given leo's aftermath.
Old 08/04/2012, 07:58 AM   #37 (permalink)

This situation is preferable to the opposite, I think. I'd rather HP devote resources to making OpenWebOS fully functional on a new generation of hardware than blowing their scarce resources on keeping year-old technology in the loop. WebOS 3.7 on my present Touchpad? meh:/ It is as worky now as it's gonna get, and I can boot into Android for things that won't play ball. What I want is some hardware choices when my Pre2 and its backup unit kick the bucket in a year or two or three. If HP perfected the open source versions of the drivers in a current day Pre, what good would that do me down the line. I'd have the pick of the 3-year-old technology, and no certain path forward.

This is the right way to go.
limerickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 01:28 PM   #38 (permalink)

The Touchpad was announced in Feb '11 and released in July '11.

If there was hardware coming this year it would be known already.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 08/04/2012, 02:30 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
The Touchpad was announced in Feb '11 and released in July '11.

If there was hardware coming this year it would be known already.
I'd modify this to say that if there was hardware coming this year FROM HP it would be known already.

Let's face it though guys - HP is done when it comes to putting our their own hardware built for webOS. Under the best case scenario they might work with another major manufacturer to help them put out hardware for it, but I think the more likely scenario is they make Open webOS as easy as they can to run on hardware designed for Android and leave it to the community to do ports and some ambitious OEM's to decide whether they want to give webOS a try on their own.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/04/2012, 03:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
I'd modify this to say that if there was hardware coming this year FROM HP it would be known already.

Let's face it though guys - HP is done when it comes to putting our their own hardware built for webOS. Under the best case scenario they might work with another major manufacturer to help them put out hardware for it, but I think the more likely scenario is they make Open webOS as easy as they can to run on hardware designed for Android and leave it to the community to do ports and some ambitious OEM's to decide whether they want to give webOS a try on their own.
Very astute... HP is obviously not setting themselves up to be an OS publisher making money from licensing fees or the OS would not be Open Source. There remains no economic incentive for them to support the OS once it is released into the wild.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0