webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Okay, good news ... Maybe?
Okay, good news ... Maybe?
Like Tree49Likes

Old 08/01/2012, 02:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Famous People Who Found Success Despite Failures

Colonol Sanders failed 1,009 times before making it big.
Walt Disney...302.

read on for many others.

Yeah, except this time Edison is trying to get his creaky lightbulb to stay lit while GE is pumping out millions of hi-tech florescents every day, and the Colonel is sitting on his eggs while McDonald's sells a billion McNuggets.
astark is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Spherelander likes this.
Old 08/01/2012, 02:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astark View Post
Yeah, except this time Edison is trying to get his creaky lightbulb to stay lit while GE is pumping out millions of hi-tech florescents every day, and the Colonel is sitting on his eggs while McDonald's sells a billion McNuggets.
HUH??

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/01/2012, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshum View Post
Hp and Dell were paired because Microsoft demanded it two by two for each proc maker sorta of god like.
Is there some article or other source you can link?

Msft identified three ARM chip makers: Nvidia, Qualcomm and Texas Instruments to support Win RT and allowed each chipset company to pair with up to two OEM Tablet makers for official, sanctioned release of Win RT Tablets.

Nvidia partnered with Asus and Lenovo.

Texas Instruments chose to partner with only one Tablet maker - Toshiba.

Qualcomm chose to partner with Samsung and HP, but then HP backed out.

Dell is rumored to be trying for the spot HP left open and wants to make the Qualcomm chipset powered Win RT Tablets HP now refuses to build.

See this article: Windows RT launch partners revealed, other OEMs locked out until January 2013 | Geek.com

or this one: Microsoft to Windows RT OEMs: 'If your name's not on the list, you're not making a tablet' -- Engadget

or this one: Microsoft reportedly careful in choosing OEMs for Windows 8 RT tablets | Ubergizmo

etc...

HP is still saying they will make the x86 Intel chipset based Win 8 Tablets: HP Hints at Windows 8 Tablet in Commercial Clip (Video) | TechnoBuffalo

or this: HP won't offer an ARM-based Windows 8 tablet this year | Microsoft - CNET News

etc...

Dell makes Tablets, yes?

HP makes Tablets, yes? (Well, OK: HP makes tablets, cancels tablets, makes tablets again, cancels tablets, makes tablets once more, etc...)

Why and how are Dell and HP partnered together on a Win 8 Tablet?

Is there some link you can provide?

What is the point you are trying to make between that and the recent announcement that OpenSourcewebOS will not support legacy devices?

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 05:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astark View Post
Ok. I don't buy fluorescent light bulbs, (I'd rather use a little extra energy....which I'm pretty conscious about...I shut lights off if I don't need them as opposed to release mercury into my food chain), and I don't eat at either KFC or McDonalds. What's your point? I actually made one.
Old 08/01/2012, 08:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok. I don't buy fluorescent light bulbs, (I'd rather use a little extra energy....which I'm pretty conscious about...I shut lights off if I don't need them as opposed to release mercury into my food chain), and I don't eat at either KFC or McDonalds. What's your point? I actually made one.
My point is there is a difference between failing because you didn't try hard enough and failing because someone else already did it better and more successfully. What's the point of wasting time and energy on such an absolute non-starter? Or to put it another way, how can a product succeed when you want it more than the company making the damn thing? Unless you consider continued existence to itself be some form of success. Not that it matters to me anymore, but we're beyond the point of "Time will Tell". Time has told, repeatedly.
astark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 08:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

WP7 had died 。
in September, when HP announced that openwebos, WebOS will also die, then the pre2 will stop the hands.
I love WebOS until the end of life.
if_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 08/01/2012, 10:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
News Contributor

HP Touchpad webos tablet stills
HP is not running the mill in
Open webos should TouchPad on
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 01:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

<<thread cleansed>>

Please keep the language and comments appropriate and civil

Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/02/2012, 01:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
I'm sorry, if open webOS if for the existing user base then open webOS would have support for existing devices. This statement is just wrong.
No, you just didn't understand what I was saying.
There is no other userbase. Period.
Everything else is hope and speculation. As of now, all the WebOS community and userbase is is enthusiasts at best.

Quote:
They clearly are aiming for future devices, therefore new user base, expansion etc.
Again, speculations and hope.
And I say it again for the 100ths time: firefoxOS has partners, hardware, marketing. Meego has chinese partners, hardware, marketing.
HP has ... NOTHING.
So what userbase, what future are you referring to?

Quote:
Keep it up, naysayers
No need to get touchy and insulting. I was told, people are not allowed to call others names around here. Seems I was wrong?
Old 08/02/2012, 01:40 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
No need to get touchy and insulting. I was told, people are not allowed to call others names around here. Seems I was wrong?
using the term 'naysayers' isn't an insult. His comment was no more than calling someone an 'unbeliever'. If you have issues with a post, please use the 'report button' and/or PM a staff member to discuss outside of a thread. Thanks

Old 08/02/2012, 11:18 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraith View Post
So, if HP is not planning support for devices they all ready made, does that mean they are planning new hardware? It seems silly to make an OS without planned hardware. So what do you think?
hp will not be providing any new hardware for open webos.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 03:44 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Famous People Who Found Success Despite Failures

Colonol Sanders failed 1,009 times before making it big.
Walt Disney...302.

read on for many others.
The difference is, those guys were really trying hard to succeed in their chosen lines of business. Has HP done ANYTHING lately that seems like they are really trying to succeed in the mobile space? Win 8 tablets that are going to have to compete with what seem to be very slick and refined Surface tablets from Microsoft? Is anybody at all on here optimistic about how that's likely to turn out?
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 01:32 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
.... Has HP done ANYTHING lately that seems like they are really trying to succeed in the mobile space? ...
Good point that.

On the positive side: they opensourced WebOS.

That's it.

For me this whole thing reminds me of how we did our homework back in those (for me far away) days at school. We did the absolute necessary most of the times. Nothing more.
This might work in school, but with that attitude, you will fail in life.
And as a company, with this attitude you will fail on the market.

My guess/expectation is, that as the PC market shrinks to insignificance and if HP still has no valid mobile strategy, HP will be reduced to a server producing company, maybe keeping the printer business as well.
It will become but a shadow of it's former glory.

But hey, that's what life is, ey? The survival of the fittest? HP is not the fittest, and most definitely not adapted to the market. It was the fattest of companies for a time, but Leo saw to that (cut the worth of the share in half within a weeks time... gooood work).

So yes, I expect NOTHING of HP anymore but some more deliberation and missing the train completely.
Old 08/03/2012, 02:06 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well, for one, you're supposed to dispose of those bulbs through the appropriate city-mandated channels through a Dept. of Sanitation for free, or your local Home Depot/Lowes, which have bins specifically set out for this, so I'm not sure I see your pseudo-environmentalist point here.

Anyone who can't take some time to dispose of their CFLs through either of these means is just plain lazy and contributing to the overall problem in no less than a selfish manner. Keep a bag of them and drop 'em off at Home Depot when you need another drill bit or, hey, new light bulbs. Not exactly difficult.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 02:12 AM   #35 (permalink)

With all due respect, the mobile business shut down was not the the reason the stock price dropped. It was their announcement to exit and spin off the PC business and paying $10.3 billion for Autonomy Corp.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 04:01 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
With all due respect, the mobile business shut down was not the the reason the stock price dropped. It was their announcement to exit and spin off the PC business and paying $10.3 billion for Autonomy Corp.
True. It is never just ONE bad decisions. Not with a company that size. It is a long stretch of bad decisions as well indecisiveness and cluelessness, that costs customer trust.

Thanks for putting that right

But in case of WebOS the bad decisions have not yet seized. Having no hardwarepartner to show off and seemingly not caring a lot to get one is a very bad move as far as I see it.
Having no visible strategy on the pad/smartphone sector at all is an even more bad thing.
Those are not at all ways to gain trust and get customers back.

Just (as always) my 2 cent
Old 08/03/2012, 08:16 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Good point that.

On the positive side: they opensourced WebOS.
The thing is too, opensourcing webOS doesn't even directly benefit HP. Even if it takes off like a rocket, it's only going to benefit the third parties who develop and maintain ports to new devices, not HP. The best HP can hope for from all this is residual income from increased app sales, and since the app catalog is not very well stocked even now, that's not going to be much money.

It's like Derek said in that article last year where he had that imaginary meeting with HP - just open sourcing webOS does not constitute a plan, and the fact that legacy hardware (and we're really stretching the definition by including the Pre3 and TP in that group) will not be supported by HP for Open webOS makes it even more of a non-plan.

We're still waiting for them to announce what the plan for webOS will really be. I'm sure they are considering various things, but the time for just knocking ideas around internally is long gone - if they're serious they need to announce something and move toward implementing it.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Spherelander and RumoredNow like this.
Old 08/03/2012, 12:21 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
True. It is never just ONE bad decisions. Not with a company that size. It is a long stretch of bad decisions as well indecisiveness and cluelessness, that costs customer trust.

Thanks for putting that right

But in case of WebOS the bad decisions have not yet seized. Having no hardwarepartner to show off and seemingly not caring a lot to get one is a very bad move as far as I see it.
Having no visible strategy on the pad/smartphone sector at all is an even more bad thing.
Those are not at all ways to gain trust and get customers back.

Just (as always) my 2 cent
HP never had many customers for their mobile and tablet business. $99 fire sale buyers can't be seen as customers, as those were giveaways.
Old 08/03/2012, 01:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

"Hey, here's a new tablet" followed quickly by "We don't make those anymore" is hardly enough time to gauge what the sales performance would have been under sane leadership. There is no way you can reasonably compare that product cancellation decision with a failed product or lack of customers. The sample time is waaaaay too small to have statistical relevance when analyzing the sales model next to a supported product of the same type.

Palm got squeezed by huge market forces and lost out on economies of scale. HP picked them up and then dumped the whole concept quite abruptly and in a media saturated fashion. Botched corporate leadership and support is the leading factor in the decline of the OS and has no relevance to the fact of how the OS works and the great reviews it got in Tech Media outlets. It is an ongoing fallacy for certain posters on this site to reference the Apotheker policies as proof of webOS unworthiness in the market. That is putting the cart before the chicken and confusing the timing of cause and effect.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 08/03/2012, 03:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

For what it's worth, the Touchpad didn't sell. More time in the marketplace would have changed this in what way?

Sales decreased weekly, retailers were about to return unsold stock.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0