webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Sprint Photon Q
Sprint Photon Q

Old 07/26/2012, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

So guys Open WebOS is just 2 months away =D i just wanted to post this device because i feel like it will be a great canidate phone for those who want to keep a physical keyboard, and still want all the bells and whistles of all the android devices like LTE hd screen and camera and the usual. Let me know what you guys think

Anticipated specs of the device:
New Motorola slider for Sprint surfaces with Android 4.0, many mysteries - Engadget

Sprint CEO saying its coming soon =DDDDDD
Sprint's Motorola Photon Q LTE is coming 'very soon' - Engadget
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2012, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Speak of the devil sprint just officialy announced it today

MOTOROLA PHOTON Q - 4G LTE Android Smartphone - SMARTACTIONS - ColorBoost - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
Old 07/26/2012, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

It'll have a locked bootloader; in fact, all Motorola smartphones from the past year onward are starting to get updates to irreversibly lock the bootloader so another OS can't be loaded on it at all. Ever. You can't reverse it.

My current Photon 4G keeps getting alerts every 4 hours as of a week ago asking me to update, but I keep cancelling them because I'm just not ready to give up my ability to change the OS if I choose to do so in the future.

I wouldn't call any future or recent past Motorola devices candidates for Open webOS given this recent decision by Motorola to start locking their phones down with no recourse.

Sorry. Any device with a locked bootloader is a no-go from the start.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Daughain, RumoredNow
Old 07/26/2012, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
It'll have a locked bootloader; in fact, all Motorola smartphones from the past year onward are starting to get updates to irreversibly lock the bootloader so another OS can't be loaded on it at all. Ever. You can't reverse it.

My current Photon 4G keeps getting alerts every 4 hours as of a week ago asking me to update, but I keep cancelling them because I'm just not ready to give up my ability to change the OS if I choose to do so in the future.

I wouldn't call any future or recent past Motorola devices candidates for Open webOS given this recent decision by Motorola to start locking their phones down with no recourse.

Sorry. Any device with a locked bootloader is a no-go from the start.

Lol your whole post is now invalid

Motorola to allow bootloader unlocking from Photon Q 4G LTE onwards - Engadget
Old 07/27/2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

<staff edit> color me pleased nonetheless? Motorola should probably try a little consistency in their message and follow-through.

Now I might actually consider upgrading to the Q.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/01/2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: removed comment
Old 07/27/2012, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
<staff edit> but color me pleased nonetheless? Motorola should probably try a little consistency in their message and follow-through.

Now I might actually consider upgrading to the Q.
<staff edit>

I think im definitely gonna get this phone it comes out in august. I love my pre 2 but honestly i want new hardware, im not gonna let waiting for an os hold me back, im sure its a possibility that this phone could get a port anyways now that we know it has an unlocked bootloader...plus its a world phone so when i go to Germany ill just unlock it and get an O2 sim.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/01/2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07/27/2012, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I can tell you I've been nothing but pleased with my Photon 4G (other than the recent bootloader lockdown); the hardware quality, worldphone capability, and general performance have been great. I imagine the Q will be just as good.
Old 07/27/2012, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I can tell you I've been nothing but pleased with my Photon 4G (other than the recent bootloader lockdown); the hardware quality, worldphone capability, and general performance have been great. I imagine the Q will be just as good.
Yea a buddy of mine here has the photon 4g and he loves it hes gonna be in germany with it this year too.

I feel that the photon q is basically an upgraded photon with a keyboard which is awesome. If i could dual boot webos like my touchpad someday it will be a match made in heaven lol
Old 08/12/2012, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh yea whos gonna go check it out if this turns out to be real ;D

Sprint Motorola Photon Q release rumored for Aug. 19 | Android Central
Old 08/12/2012, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
Oh yea whos gonna go check it out if this turns out to be real ;D

Sprint Motorola Photon Q release rumored for Aug. 19 | Android Central
I'm guessing: you?

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I'm guessing: you?
Yea lol i was hoping for a little more enthusiasm from the old sprint pre owners on here but i guess its just me for now
Old 08/12/2012, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

It looks mildly interesting, but it slides the wrong direction. Portrait sliders FTW!

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

So, I looked more into the Photon Q, on XDA's Photon boards and other places. Despite the fact I have almost no interest in a slider anymore, much less a landscape slider, I thought it was a decent piece of kit. Maybe even an upgrade candidate until...

What stopped me cold in my tracks when researching the Photon Q was learning the SIM card is likely soldered into place in these units, which renders the idea of using local SIMs when traveling to another country pretty much a no-go; you end up having to pay Sprint's insane charges with no other option. If true, man, that's a red flag for me when it comes to my need for a good workhorse worldphone.

I'll stick to my Photon 4G until a better worldphone comes about.
Old 08/12/2012, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
So, I looked more into the Photon Q, on XDA's Photon boards and other places. Despite the fact I have almost no interest in a slider anymore, much less a landscape slider, I thought it was a decent piece of kit. Maybe even an upgrade candidate until...

What stopped me cold in my tracks when researching the Photon Q was learning the SIM card is likely soldered into place in these units, which renders the idea of using local SIMs when traveling to another country pretty much a no-go; you end up having to pay Sprint's insane charges with no other option. If true, man, that's a red flag for me when it comes to my need for a good workhorse worldphone.

I'll stick to my Photon 4G until a better worldphone comes about.
oO dude dont tell me that. My friend has the Photon as well and he unlocked it i guess cuz were in a program called eurotech and we go to germany for study abroad hes there now with it on O2 i think and i was planning to do the same next year when i go with this phone
Old 08/13/2012, 07:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

This post pretty much sums it up for me: xda-developers - View Single Post - Motorola Photon Q 4g LTE

Here's the whole conversation about the Q over at XDA. Pretty eye-opening. Motorola Photon Q 4g LTE - xda-developers
Thanked By: howemi01
Old 09/28/2012, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

I love my photon q. Upgraded from the OG photon. Now if only we could get some Open webOS on it I'd love it even more.
seventy_x_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventy_x_7 View Post
I love my photon q. Upgraded from the OG photon. Now if only we could get some Open webOS on it I'd love it even more.
^^^This

I honestly wish i knew more programming so i could help out

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0