webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What do YOU expect of Open webOS?
What do YOU expect of Open webOS?
Like Tree24Likes

Old 07/21/2012, 05:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm after your opinions folks.

Do you think it'll be ported to your device? Do you think it'll included more features, bug fixes, both or neither?

Do you think it'll create an influx of new apps for our eco system?

As HP have said very little about any of this I'm interested in what the community think.

Personally I'm hoping a build for my Pre 3 and Veer will be created. They are both so damn buggy. New apps would be great but I'd settle for bug fixes and improved speed!

Tell me what you expect!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

new customised features and additions, but not stuffed down your throat as standard, its all good when its a choice like when you get the patches/features you want via preware.
Old 07/21/2012, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I expect a version of webOS with basically the current functionality which will run on Touchpad. Beyond that I will expect "the community" to modify it to run on Palm/HP phones and port it to Android phones.

EDIT: Expectations lowered on 1st August 2012. HP's version won't run on existing HP/Palm webOS hardware

Last edited by johncc; 07/31/2012 at 10:22 PM.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

"That would be world peace....and harsher punishment for parole violators, Stan." -- Gracie Hart [remix]

I do expect adventurous souls to take open webOS and put it on some devices to show it can be done. I'm hopeful that an entity larger than a few adventurous souls that is keeping an eye out to see what happens, takes that work and has their R&D folks take a whack at it on their devices. And then I hope to see a modest growth of the opportunity to have webOS on devices for the average Joe...except my name is not Joe...so I hope it also becomes available for the average Rockbeast...of which I am one.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quite simply, smartphone support. It would be nice if the first builds were for phones first, then tablets.

could you imagine it running on a nexus s with the openmobile layer later this year? Fuggitaboutit!
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just to name a few....

-Ability to be ported to ANY device currently running Android/Linux
-Both low memory (256mb and below) and high memory support
-Drivers for HDMI out, USB host, memory card readers, etc
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2012, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Just to name a few....

-Ability to be ported to ANY device currently running Android/Linux
-Both low memory (256mb and below) and high memory support
-Drivers for HDMI out, USB host, memory card readers, etc
To be blunt and to the point, I want Open webOS to be able to run on just about every Chinese knock-off device.

When HP decided not to make webOS devices, one of the first things I mentioned was for them to just commission someone else to make the devices for them (Samsung, HTC, etc). Some of you folks thought I was crazy. Why would Samsung or HTC make a device for HP? Why not?

There are so many low cost Chinese devices that it is just scary. Who makes the iPhone? The Chinese. Who made the Pre, Pre2, Pre3, Pixi, and TouchPad? The Chinese. Plus their copyright laws suck. There are so many iPhone knock-offs from China it will make your head spin.

If you are on AT&T you can get a decent, close to high end smartphone for under $100 from any of the Chinese market websites and have it shipped to the US. Most use the correct GSM band. Pop your SIM card in it and go. If you are on Verizon or Sprint, you have to dig a little more to find a phone that will work on CDMA2000.

What do the vast majority (pretty much all) of these phones run as an OS? Ding, ding, ding.... Android! So if Open WebOS is made to run on just about any Android device, we won't need HP or anyone else to make new hardware. Just buy a named brand or knockoff phone/tablet from China and install Open WebOS on it.

Two things:

1) You won't get official software support (and limited hardware support)
2) We need a way to accurately track the number of folks using Open WebOS

I figure the guys at webOS Internals and the folks here could help out with the software support.

We need to keep track of the install base to get more developer support with native apps. For example: There are a ton of desktop computers running Linux. However, us Linux users have a hard time getting big name developers to port to Linux because our numbers count towards Windows sales (I have 4 computers at home. All run Linux. Only one runs Windows constantly, but since they came pre-installed with Windows and I installed Linux myself, I count as a Windows user 4x). If we can show our user base is strong, like Mozilla did with Firefox, we will get app support.

So, while I would love to see a new device from some big named company running webOS, I'm not holding my breath. Neither do I care. As long as Open WebOS is flexible enough to run on anything I throw at it, I will be happy.
Old 07/21/2012, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

The OP asked what you expect, not what you dream about.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie likes this.
Old 07/21/2012, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just make webos so that netflix,hulu plus and mlb-tv work on it. Web OS is not bad at all just let these apps work on it so the touchpad can be for entertainment tablets like the rest
TimN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I expect it to be working with the newer HPalm phones (Veer,Pre2,Pre3) having current mega patches like Advanced System/Option Framework, Ubercalendar, Synergy Messaging Plugins, All-In-One settings and many detail changes of http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...wish-list.html to be integrated.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 03:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well I hope they remove all the lag. Full hardware acceleration of the UI/apps would be really good, like Android's project butter.

Do I expect it? Not really.
tharrison4815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 03:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharrison4815 View Post
Well I hope they remove all the lag. Full hardware acceleration of the UI/apps would be really good, like Android's project butter.

The nexus is indeed butter! I :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
The OP asked what you expect, not what you dream about.

Expectation and dreams are always intertwined. Plus since Open WebOS is going to use the standard Linux kernel and that kernel is supposed to have Android stuff built in by default, those dreams/expectations wouldn't be far off.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Old 07/22/2012, 08:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

Why not? The source code will be controlled by the open source community. Since patches pretty much remove most of the lag, I'm sure the code included in them will be added by default. I get the lag less than twice a day.

What I would really like to see are the same UI tricks that make iOS and Android seem faster. I would like the option for apps to go full screen on launch, instead of the card animation. This will give the appearance of speed (like it does for iOS/Android). Save card view for app switching. I would also like to see parallel booting, like the rest of the Linux OS world (Android included) has had for years now. This along with some Luna tweaks should hopefully get the boot time to under a minute.

After using Linux for the last 17 years, I am amazed with what the open source community does. That's why I was/am very happy webOS went open source. Any programmer with the skills and time can add/fix just about anything in the code. Plus, open source has been ahead of closed source projects in added features and UI design for the last decade. Desktop Linux looks better than and runs better than Windows 7 on everything, to include ancient machines. Once the community takes a look at the code, they will strip it clean of the laggy parts.

Look at what the community has done so far with just the code to Luna....

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Old 07/22/2012, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Interestingly, I notice that the Jelly Bean video that's floating around is still using 2.6.35. Will webOS be the first 3.0 mobile?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I expect that:
It will release on time...
Those who know more than I will fall on it with a vengeance and there will be a flurry of activity...
The community of Developers here will concentrate on current webOS hardware as a first tier effort...

I'm afraid that:
OSwebOS will just be for TouchPad upon initial release...
Pressure will be high to port OSwebOS to Android phones for dual boot and that will distract many...
(Resulting in) My Veer and Pre 2 will be left behind...

I'd love to see:
LG buck the market trend and go their own way by abandoning Android (which makes them no money) and adopting OSwebOS as their dedicated platform for smart phones, followed by tablets...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tharrison4815 likes this.
Old 07/22/2012, 08:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
I'm after your opinions folks.

Do you think it'll be ported to your device? Do you think it'll included more features, bug fixes, both or neither?

Do you think it'll create an influx of new apps for our eco system?

As HP have said very little about any of this I'm interested in what the community think.

Personally I'm hoping a build for my Pre 3 and Veer will be created. They are both so damn buggy. New apps would be great but I'd settle for bug fixes and improved speed!

Tell me what you expect!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
I use a Pre 2 which for the most part works well. Open webOS would be nice to use but only if it is stable. I can't experiment on my primary phone.
I would like it on my Touchpad in particular a better, faster more compatible web browser.
I think there may be a few apps that will show up but not much (maybe some enyo 2 developers will build a webos app while building their android or ios app) If there isn't a OEM that adopts webOS, then open webOS is just a thank you for prior webOS users. I really don't see HP putting this effort just for the current webOS user base or loading it on to some android devices.
If an OEM doesn't pick up webOS I would see HP abandoning this effort soon since it doesn't generate revenue. Then it would be handed over to interested parties like webOS internals.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

What i "EXPECT" not what i hope:

Tablet only interface. HP has shown little interest in phones from the beginning so i expect their focus to be largely on tablets. I wouldn't be totally stunned if they released both phone and tablet OS's but i do not expect it. I do not expect it to be ported to my devices at least not by HP. I have no tablet and as I said I expect this to be a tablet only OS until someone else changes it. And my webos phone is a Pre minus which i'm totally guessing won't run it well anyways. My main phone is not webos and i don't expect it to be ported to that, ever. I expect it there will be bug fixes. Will there be new features? Not sure exactly how you define "features" but my guess is there may be some new stuff but nothing huge like Siri, or iCloud, or google play, or an HP navigation program, or the equivalent of garageband, or a NFC payment system. I think it may be closer to smoothing out loose ends like maybe adding a format here and their to the music player, sorting out how it reads id3 tags so it's more uniform and ignores things etc. All that being said i would not be 100% stunned if they improved on a few other things like maybe making a webos native podcast app, improved youtube player, improved google maps, a native twitter app. But that's just a thought. I wouldn't be surprised; i just wouldn't "expect" it. I do not think there will be a huge influx of apps simply because even when it was going full bore with ads and tv commercial there was not huge influx of apps. What apps do come i would expect to be the result of interested hobbyist developers. But i don't expect Netflix to care or other big companies that typically release free apps on other platforms because the userbase isn't big enough to make it worth devoting money to. Like i use the starbucks app on my phone to buy coffee. I think there is zero chance Starbucks will make an webos app if they haven't already just because openwebos launches. Also if it is supposed to be released in september i expect any thunder it has to be pretty quickly stolen by hype for an upcoming new iphone and ios 6 release in the month or two after.
Old 07/22/2012, 09:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
If you are on AT&T you can get a decent, close to high end smartphone for under $100 from any of the Chinese market websites and have it shipped to the US. Most use the correct GSM band. Pop your SIM card in it and go. If you are on Verizon or Sprint, you have to dig a little more to find a phone that will work on CDMA2000.
Go ahead and buy one of those knockoffs and use it for a month to check its short-term build quality and performance. You'll know why they aren't popular here in the States despite their low cost and wide availability; even if you could port Open webOS to them, most are made of second-rate parts as opposed to the major brands which hand-pick their parts from top-tier providers and/or design their own. And their performance is almost unilaterally horrendous.

Going to cheap Chinese knockoffs in a desperate attempt to find a home for webOS is just asking for disappointment. You think the build quality of the original Palm Pre and its huge issue with The Oreo Syndrome was bad? You've seen nothing yet.

If you want seriously competitive quality from China when it comes to the top smartphones and tablets here in the U.S., you have to make all the important hardware decisions yourself, hand-pick all the hardware from their best producers, design the device here in the States, and have their factories back in China assemble it. That's how it works.

Last edited by dignitary; 07/22/2012 at 09:39 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 09:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Go ahead and buy one of those knockoffs and use it for a month to check its short-term build quality and performance. You'll know why they aren't popular here in the States despite their low cost and wide availability; even if you could port Open webOS to them, most are made of second-rate parts as opposed to the major brands which hand-pick their parts from top-tier providers and/or design their own. And their performance is almost unilaterally horrendous.

Going to cheap Chinese knockoffs in a desperate attempt to find a home for webOS is just asking for disappointment. You think the build quality of the original Palm Pre and its huge issue with The Oreo Syndrome was bad? You've seen nothing yet.

If you want seriously competitive quality from China when it comes to getting something comparable to the top smartphones and tablets here in the U.S., you have to make all the important hardware and software decisions yourself or what you're going to get is an unpredictable mish-mash of lowest-bidder parts thrown in a hastily-assembled case and, in the case of phones, largely unreliable call and data reception quality. There are rare exceptions (that cost considerably more), but in general that's how it works.

I'd love to hear some solid evidence (and device specs) from someone that's purchased one of these knockoffs or off-brand devices that it's been anything more than an exercise in money wasted.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0