webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What do YOU expect of Open webOS?
What do YOU expect of Open webOS?
  Reply
Like Tree24Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08/01/2012, 05:53 AM   #101 (permalink)
Member
 
lagoldste's Avatar
 
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
Even manually importing is quite easy, you just have to open Outlook Web Access in your browser and you'll be asked if you'd like to import the certificate.
T-Pad & Herrie - you misunderstand. I have no problem importing any certificates into my Pre 2 or TP. My employer's Exchange setup requires that along with my username & password, my device must also authenticate with a certificate that says "yes, this is lagoldste". It doesn't do that. Android does it. iOS does it. webOS does not.
lagoldste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 06:03 AM   #102 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
Strange, because our Exchange at work demands a certificate as well. I just imported it once and now I can authentify at my workmail, adress and calender without any beef.
I even can "universally" search for Exchange Adresses from our pools...
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 05:27 PM   #103 (permalink)
Member
 
lagoldste's Avatar
 
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Strange, because our Exchange at work demands a certificate as well. I just imported it once and now I can authentify at my workmail, adress and calender without any beef.
I even can "universally" search for Exchange Adresses from our pools...
Hm. I wonder what's different in our setups. Do you know how your user certificate was generated? Mine was generated on our internal RSA server. I have that and our internal certificate authority chain imported to my TP, which should be all that's needed.
lagoldste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 01:17 AM   #104 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
I would not know actually. I just connected once to our Outlook WebAccess, which uses the same certificate. From then on it worked fine.
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 05:23 AM   #105 (permalink)
Member
 
lagoldste's Avatar
 
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
I would not know actually. I just connected once to our Outlook WebAccess, which uses the same certificate. From then on it worked fine.
We auth to OWA in a completely different way. I think that I, the Exchange admin and the infosec guys will have to poke at it some more. In our Copious Free Time(tm), of course.
lagoldste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 07:56 AM   #106 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
As I reminisce, over what Palm webOS was, I re-watched the CES 2009 and 2010 videos…

CES 2009: Palm Pre CES Press Event - YouTube
CES 2010: Palm's Presentation at the 2010 CES. - YouTube

And what HP webOS was to become…
Think Beyond: HP webOS Think Beyond Event (February 9th, 2011) - YouTube

Now I hope Open webOS meets some of what Palm webOS was and what HP webOS was to become.
Knowing it will not be on our existing hardware is another blow to the in the coming months… HP/Palm could have detailed this when they first started, but as normal to keep silent when we have bad news.
If only, If only, If only, but what made it to the public thru, official releases and unofficial releases webOS in my opinion is one of the best mobile operating systems, to bad HP/Palm does not see it that way.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 01:15 PM   #107 (permalink)
Member
 
Rockbeast's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
... 9 times out of 10, those lawsuits get settled and agreements are forged with money exchanging hands...
We are the 10%!

I envision the following commercial...David Copperfield says...."Someone hand me an Android phone...any Android phone....[some fool does so]...now, watch as I magically install Open Source webOS on it before your very eyes!"

Open Source webOS....watch the magic happen...Then you'll be saying "where have you been all my life?"

I'm having fun here, sure...but a guy can dream! And like at Disney...dreams can come true!
__________________
Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and Rnp like this.
Old 08/02/2012, 04:24 PM   #108 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 124
I expected it to run on my Pre3. :-(
Davide-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 01:23 AM   #109 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
...David Copperfield says...."Someone hand me an Android phone...any Android phone....[some fool does so]...now, watch as I magically install Open Source webOS on it before your very eyes!"

Open Source webOS....watch the magic happen......
Hehehe ... very good one. I had to laugh!


Maybe the webOSInternal guys should call the first OpenWebOS Port to any droid device "Project Copperfield"
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 01:41 AM   #110 (permalink)
Banned
 
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davide-NYC View Post
I expected it to run on my Pre3. :-(
Did you buy it expecting it to run Open webOS? I'm curious how many people dipping their toes into the Pre 3 (and Touchpad, Pre, Pre 2, etc) forum did just that and ended up getting burned spending money on devices after people kept telling them that Open webOS was "totally destined" for those devices despite nobody knowing what Open webOS would support in the first place.

This is how a community's own excitement tends to kill off new and promising users of the platform rather quickly, I might add. Assumptions posed as facts often don't match up to reality, regardless of third-party promises to fill the void.

ProTip: When it comes to anything webOS, wait for the official announcement before doing anything...and never assume anything. Anyone who went through the webOS 1.4.x to 2.x "OMG, Palm broke their promise!" era (among others) would know what I'm talking about. It's completely unsurprising that Open webOS broke off support for all existing devices--and for good reason, at that.

tl;dr: Act on results, not conjecture.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 09:51 AM   #111 (permalink)
Member
 
Rockbeast's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Did you buy it expecting it to run Open webOS? I'm curious how many people dipping their toes into the Pre 3 (and Touchpad, Pre, Pre 2, etc) forum did just that and ended up getting burned spending money on devices after people kept telling them that Open webOS was "totally destined" for those devices despite nobody knowing what Open webOS would support in the first place.

This is how a community's own excitement tends to kill off new and promising users of the platform rather quickly, I might add. Assumptions posed as facts often don't match up to reality, regardless of third-party promises to fill the void.

ProTip: When it comes to anything webOS, wait for the official announcement before doing anything...and never assume anything. Anyone who went through the webOS 1.4.x to 2.x "OMG, Palm broke their promise!" era (among others) would know what I'm talking about. It's completely unsurprising that Open webOS broke off support for all existing devices--and for good reason, at that.

tl;dr: Act on results, not conjecture.
Be wise of course, but if we never dreamed, never imagined, never stepped out a bit beyond the established line, we would be limiting what can be. So there is a balance that must be attempted.

I'm reminded of a book by C.S. Lewis, That Hideous Strength, the 3rd book of his Space/Scifi Trilogy, where the main character Ransom had an old friend, Andrew MacPhee. MacPhee is basically a skeptic who, despite his unbelief, is part of a company or group formed around Ransom, who has a rather amazing back story ( you will have to read the first two books of the Space Trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra). Ransom's story is amazing, and this group is grappling with the meaning and effects of that story that are happening and will happen to our world. Mr. MacPhee is playing the role of the skeptic, always questioning what is discussed, trying to keep the others from flying off to far afield in their imaginings and emotional responses. Some of the people wonder why MacPhee is even there. Ransom says something like: the role of the skeptic is important, and hard. And we need Andrew MacPhee to steady the course that we are traveling. That is a complete paraphrase from memory, forgive me for any errors.

The point is, there is a possible journey with open source webos. Some in this community are running headlong into the possible future with their head held up, not minding their surroundings. They might trip themselves or lead others to trip themselves up. It is good that there are people who function more as the skeptic, who may slow the progress, may dampen that free spirited run towards the future...or the abyss...but may help reduce poor choices and disappointments...which might just help this community deal better with the actual future once it becomes the present. And some of us are just lowly cavemen...following along and bumping into each other...sometimes digging holes...trying to find our way to the exit where webOS exists on any device you want. My name is Grogg.

Whew, my time anomaly indicator is spinning around at warp speed! I've got to stop now or I'll be sick!

Oh, and did I have enough references to pop culture, gaming, scifi, and literature to make my post acceptable to our eclectic community?
__________________
Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/03/2012, 08:32 PM   #112 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Ripped from the webOSNation front page HP/Palm has only ~200 people developing/support webOS, will not do any updates to existing devices (touchpad) because of the lack of resources...

Maybe they should have not fired the people, maybe they should have paid the exist staff before they left more...

But we will see in the coming months...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 11:15 PM   #113 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
We are the 10%!

I envision the following commercial...David Copperfield says...."Someone hand me an Android phone...any Android phone....[some fool does so]...now, watch as I magically install Open Source webOS on it before your very eyes!"

Open Source webOS....watch the magic happen...Then you'll be saying "where have you been all my life?"

I'm having fun here, sure...but a guy can dream! And like at Disney...dreams can come true!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Well... I know one thing: no one company spends money in some project while believe that is useless. Somebody have some idea to use the OS webOS.

What I can believe is that: if is not for old devices, the OS webOS can be ready to new devices... from HP or not!


Best Regards....
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 02:36 AM   #114 (permalink)
Member
 
darth_luigi's Avatar
 
Posts: 45
Another Hope/Expectation

I Hope HP will have their new Intel powered tablet ready to be flashed with OpenWebOS.

I Expect they havn't even given it a second thought.
darth_luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 05:46 AM   #115 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 331
I expect that someone will build an Open WebOS VM for all the fans to go "ooh aah" at, and then it will vanish into obscurity.

Anything better than that will be a pleasant surprise for me.
__________________
-- Bring back DateBk!!

DS_Palm_Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0