webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What do YOU expect of Open webOS?
What do YOU expect of Open webOS?
Like Tree24Likes

Old 07/29/2012, 02:22 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
The 3rd generation iPod Touch most certainly runs 5.1.1.

Correct, Mountain Lion doesn't work officially on a macbook pre 2008, but it does on a 2007 macbook pro. It's a 64 bit OS unlike Lion which is both 64 and 32 bit.

Which 5 year old laptop is going to support Windows 8?

The Pre, pre plus, pixi and pixi plus from 2009/2010 don't support anything higher than 1.4.5.1. That's the Palm/HP way.

In terms of the word "stiff" I mean it did not catch on or sell. A movie that opens way below expectations is a stiff.
FYI the PrePlus (from O2 and SFR) did release webOS 2.1.0. Performance is a different thing. Windows 8 is not released yet, but windows 7 works well on Vista+ machine, but it will function on XP devices (ignore performance).

For me a stiff is something that is dead, a dead body is referred to as a stiff. I agree the Touchpad was not a netbook, not a IPAD, but dead upon arrival, I disagree. But I agree to disagree with your opinion. Using it with webOS 3.0.0 to 3.0.2, 3.0.4, then finally for now) 3.0.5. It has fulfilled its obligation. Developers that is a different story. They gave up, when Open webOS is released, I doubt that will change. Not much a user to do, once hardware fails, apps fail or stop functioning, what will be?

The community will keep it limping along... What will HP/Palm and other OEMs do for hardware, and Developers for new or existing apps we can only guess.

FYI Daughters IPOD touch, I thought 3rd gen,might be 2nd gen, can not do IOS 5.x.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2012, 02:35 PM   #82 (permalink)

I don't own any tablet although the fire sale prices for the Touchpad were amazing. Pretty much a give away. By the time you figure in shipping from the factory, shipping to retail, etc, the only people who made money off that deal were the retailers.

My wife and I have been die hard Palm fans since the Vx, had Treo 600s and 755Ps tried the original Pre - waaay too buggy - took them back went back to the Treo and now use Pixis.

There is not a day that goes by without my wife saying " I HATE this phone." She likes being able to have a couple cards open, but other than that it's weak.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2012, 02:57 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Then the Nexus 7 should sell tons.
Don't know much about the Nexus 7, but if it is a 7 inch tablet it should be ~$100, to compete with kindle fire, or it will fail...

As far as Palm Pixi goes I have a PixiPlus it is not activated, but is a great MP3 player and works well at the gym, not a power smart phone, but was Palm's entry level device (sprint marketed it to teens), Palm never put much into that device, even the PixiPlus only Plus was WiFi, they should have bumped up the memory from 256 to 384 or 512, 8G flash to 12G or 16G, upped the processor or something..., but entry level is what they wanted. Armv6 can't even do Flash...
Old 07/29/2012, 04:38 PM   #84 (permalink)

Kindle Fire is $199. Nexus 7 is $199. Go out and look at the $100 tablets, They are horrible.

The no wifi on the Pixi doesn't bother me as I wouldn't spend time in that device online other than to look up something quickly and it works fine over the air for that.

The problems with it are scrolling through missed calls will open and dial almost everything you scroll past. That is a terrible OS design. The OS never knows a phone number from a contact. In practical day to day use, I find WebOS to be subpar but the idea of it pretty good.

Designed for teens or not, it should work.

If someone is going to design a phone for "teens" it should not be a throwaway because they are the future customers.

Last edited by rnld; 07/29/2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 08:40 PM   #85 (permalink)

As we are heading out to the month of August, I was kind of wandering about when will this stupid company called "HP" is going to be announcing anything about WebOS. Only we are seeing, they making their own unveiling/announcements of new PC's, however nothing could be said about the operating system which HP stupidly abandoned-- thanks to mostly those knuckleheads executives at HP(which they haven't seen a new innovation since printers came to history.) I'm mad because other companies makes their events be known to the press or talks about them for weeks in advance but not even a word of HP about the Open WebOS.

Come on, STUPID HP get serious about it.....
Old 07/30/2012, 08:56 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
As we are heading out to the month of August, I was kind of wandering about when will this stupid company called "HP" is going to be announcing anything about WebOS.
Open WebOS is due out in Sep along with Open Mobile.

Does anyone know if developers will have to submit their apps to Open Mobile separately or if all android apps will be available at launch?
darth_luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 09:11 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:

Does anyone know if developers will have to submit their apps to Open Mobile separately or if all android apps will be available at launch?
Where did you hear that Open Mobile will be out for webOS in September?

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 09:23 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_luigi View Post

Well, that's true if HP manages to keep their promise of delivering Open WebOS ....But I was referring to the Open WebOS Beta software which according to the time-frame that the company laid out on their website mentioned that the first beta will be released on August. I'm just a little bit anxious to know what will WebOS will be announcing when the first beta hits the market and if the features we will be seeing with be superior or perfectly match the OS from the others competitors.
Old 07/30/2012, 09:57 PM   #89 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Where did you hear that Open Mobile will be out for webOS in September?

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
So far as I know they just keep saying fall 2012. I see nothing new on their web site. The link to compatible devices generates a "Not Found" error.

Here is the ACL for webOS Data Sheet http://openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet_ACL_for_WebOS_3.pdf which says "Available today" in the second sentence... Of course it isn't available today...

More info about ACL is in this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...le-update.html

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2012, 11:02 PM   #90 (permalink)

Sorry I should have gone back and reread the article before I said that.

Open Mobile & Open webOS: When, Where and the Competition | webOS Nation

It was Sep or Oct at a guess.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/31/2012, 11:51 AM   #91 (permalink)

To get back to the original question...

What I expect from Open webOS is that it will finally hand user certificates to Exchange so I can hook my TP to our corporate email. There are other things I'd like to see, sure, but fixing that omission is long overdue.
lagoldste is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 07/31/2012, 12:04 PM   #92 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
To get back to the original question...

What I expect from Open webOS is that it will finally hand user certificates to Exchange so I can hook my TP to our corporate email. There are other things I'd like to see, sure, but fixing that omission is long overdue.
What is your problem? I could use Exchange with my old company and with new one also. I just had to manually import the certificate for my new company once, afterwards it worked flawlessly!
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 04:13 PM   #93 (permalink)

So now the announcement of Open webOS will not support all the old HP/Palm devices (Pixi/PixiPlus,Pre/PrePlus,Pre2,Pre3,Veer,and TouchPad), here is the new question, if one is to take a current webOS Doctor, rip out the correct drivers, incorporate them with the final product (sort of meta doctor), as long as we release a script and pull the doctor (make sure you have every copy you need of said current for your device, if HP/Palm decide to remove them), we can still make a meta doctor Open webOS build, it just will not be allowed to be distributed. As the released email etc are broke one can rip the exiting one from 3.0.5, via script? Any ideas if this sounds right?
Old 07/31/2012, 04:14 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
What is your problem? I could use Exchange with my old company and with new one also. I just had to manually import the certificate for my new company once, afterwards it worked flawlessly!
Even manually importing is quite easy, you just have to open Outlook Web Access in your browser and you'll be asked if you'd like to import the certificate.
Old 07/31/2012, 04:20 PM   #95 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
So now the announcement of Open webOS will not support all the old HP/Palm devices (Pixi/PixiPlus,Pre/PrePlus,Pre2,Pre3,Veer,and TouchPad), here is the new question, if one is to take a current webOS Doctor, rip out the correct drivers, incorporate them with the final product (sort of meta doctor), as long as we release a script and pull the doctor (make sure you have every copy you need of said current for your device, if HP/Palm decide to remove them), we can still make a meta doctor Open webOS build, it just will not be allowed to be distributed. As the released email etc are broke one can rip the exiting one from 3.0.5, via script? Any ideas if this sounds right?
It sounds like a vast oversimplification of the amount of work that would need to be done to backport Open webOS to webOS devices.

If the Open webOS team everyone's put all their trust in can't get it done, well, good luck finding people that really want to look backward instead of forward to do it.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 05:20 PM   #96 (permalink)

HP's open webOS team can't do it according to the Verge article because the older hardware has code licensed from other people and HP is not allowed to distribute it.

Whether the community can figure out a way to bring open webOS to older hardware, ie webos internals and the others working like mad right now on the community edition, is still an open question.

One thing for sure: they will try their hardest.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 07:25 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
HP's open webOS team can't do it according to the Verge article because the older hardware has code licensed from other people and HP is not allowed to distribute it.

Whether the community can figure out a way to bring open webOS to older hardware, ie webos internals and the others working like mad right now on the community edition, is still an open question.

One thing for sure: they will try their hardest.
But arenr there android devices out there that use the same hardware and have cm releases. Even modern hardware sees fully working and opensource cm9 or 10 ports. Wy cant hp use those drivers? Maybe im missing something but it sounds strange to me that the tp can run opensource cm but not webos.
I hope the internals team canstill push out some life od my pre3 and veer. I just got my first android phone but im thinking about ditching it again... The tons of apps are great but im just used to the great webos feel. Wouldnt mind seeing webos on my galaxy note but i cant see the small number of left webos devs maintaining so many ports to existing devices with no new hardware planned
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 08:10 PM   #98 (permalink)

Well HP you didn't even reach my expectations let alone my hopes.

This is just penny pinching on HP's part.

As I understand it there's nothing stopping HP from releasing a closed source ROM for a device that includes the drivers.

WebOS has always been partly open-source to begin with.

Last edited by darth_luigi; 07/31/2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07/31/2012, 09:39 PM   #99 (permalink)

i feel bad now for those who bought some phone in hopes for OWO.

sigh.
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2012, 10:55 PM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
But arenr there android devices out there that use the same hardware and have cm releases. Even modern hardware sees fully working and opensource cm9 or 10 ports. Wy cant hp use those drivers? Maybe im missing something but it sounds strange to me that the tp can run opensource cm but not webos.
Simple: Because many of those drivers are also closed-source. That severely limits the devices to which one can port Open webOS with ease to.

Just because a device seems similar, it doesn't mean access to the drivers for that device's hardware are just open and free for anyone to get webOS working with, and there's a big difference between getting an Android port like CM working with the hardware and getting an entirely different OS (like Open webOS) working with it. Big difference. webOS had such little exposure to the vast majority of hardware out there that it's basically blind compared to CyanogenMod skipping from device to device.

In some cases, even CyanogenMod ports take a hell of a long time to get polished or get all the hardware working. Look at how long it took for the Touchpad port to support certain hardware, and as far as I'm aware, the compass and camera still aren't supported by CM9.

Not to say there aren't devices out there that can be ported to, but that's going to be up to whomever has to do all the footwork figuring out which are 1) able, and 2) worth porting to.

Last edited by dignitary; 07/31/2012 at 11:00 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0