webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Is this a candidate for a Open webOS development platform? ODROID-Q
Is this a candidate for a Open webOS development platform? ODROID-Q

Old 07/15/2012, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

ODROID-Q > ODROID :: Hardkernel
vividos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, that was tweeted by @webosinternals a few days ago as a possible candidate.
Old 07/17/2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

$850 USD with only a 3G/HSPA+ radio and 16GB of space? Holy ouch.

You could literally get a top of the line 4G LTE iPad 3 with 32GB for over $100 less. I just don't see the value proposition in even considering that device when Google's selling out of highly-rated $199 Nexus tablets these days.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

the advantage to this would be that it is fully documented and comes with all the right drivers. Apple on the other hand have done evrything possible to make sure you can't mess with the iPad. Not saying it's not possible, but a dev platform like this is sure to be up and running much faster.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
$850 USD with only a 3G/HSPA+ radio and 16GB of space? Holy ouch.

You could literally get a top of the line 4G LTE iPad 3 with 32GB for over $100 less. I just don't see the value proposition in even considering that device when Google's selling out of highly-rated $199 Nexus tablets these days.
My exchange with webOS Internals on that exact subject:

@webosinternals little on the pricey side, no? I know beggars can't be choosers but sheesh!

@RkNRollaAyatola that price is actually quite reasonable for a *development* *platform* (which usually are >> $2K)

It's way out of my price range, but I'm in no rush for buying another tablet anyway.
Old 07/17/2012, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

So this is a development platform, what does that mean exactly?
Old 07/17/2012, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
So this is a development platform, what does that mean exactly?
It's primarily meant for both serious--and I don't talk round-of-the mill app--development and, in many cases, hardware hackery. Generally not meant for common consumers or general app developers to purchase at all.

This is the type of unit you'd use if you were, well, coding an operating system because every piece of hardware you'll be coding against is already there, as are the drivers. For the people heading up and coding Open webOS itself, it makes a certain level of sense to have one.

In other circles, one would consider this "reference hardware" because every device built downstream that shares its components will "just work." So, in that sense, it makes perfect sense for someone like Rod to be discussing using that device as a potential target; on first impression in this thread, I thought it was meant as a potential target for consumers to purchase...which boggled me.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 04:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

dignitary is pretty much correct. The question is, what consumer devices might that equal?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0