webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Unreleased features for HP webOS [video]
Unreleased features for HP webOS [video]

Old 07/09/2012, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, check the following video from webOSFrance :

[Exclu] Les futures fonctions de webOS : Upgrade du mode Exposition et du Tap to Share ?

What do you think about this dual touchstone support and the advanced tap to share ? will this features be included in the next webOS updates ?

Starter - Newspaper Creator - Lithium Benchmark - Lithium Messenger - Multiple App launcher - webOSnation News - Color My Dreams - Lightning Impact - Vision
boucles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelmutsKohl
Old 07/09/2012, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
Hi, check the following video from webOSFrance :

[Exclu] Les futures fonctions de webOS : Upgrade du mode Exposition et du Tap to Share ?

What do you think about this dual touchstone support and the advanced tap to share ? will this features be included in the next webOS updates ?
It's a really nice feature that hopefully WebOS team could integrate something like this on the next version of WebOS software. I think that they need to expand the capabilities of the Touch-to-share technology to support more protocols that just sending URL's. If anyone looks at the new Samsung phone Galaxy SIII, it similarly copied some feature with its S-Beam and the other feature of WiFi-Direct.

Anyways, while it would be cool to see WebOS team tackle such a strategy for the future of this nice WebOS platform. It's not so lucky for those people who owns older devices that doesn't support that touch-to-share feature natively like the Palm Pre 2(like the one I owned).
Old 07/18/2012, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

the link for the video is down, any other links to it?
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Dual touchstone support? The touchpad already does remember what exhibition app was running on each touchstone you dock it to. It would surprise me if open webOS has the drivers necessary to work tap2share. Pleasant surprise.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

This video is either a really early brainstorming type video for the Touchpad, or more likely one for another device altogether. He kept saying "HP Slate" running WebOS. This most likely is about the idea of the hybrid PC / WebOS device that they originally intended to make. When you consider the word "slate" and the form factor it really points to this conclusion.

Funny I was able to get to the page to view the video when I first clicked on the link. Going back I am unable to load that page via the link or even my history.
Old 07/19/2012, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
This video is either a really early brainstorming type video for the Touchpad, or more likely one for another device altogether. He kept saying "HP Slate" running WebOS. This most likely is about the idea of the hybrid PC / WebOS device that they originally intended to make. When you consider the word "slate" and the form factor it really points to this conclusion.

Funny I was able to get to the page to view the video when I first clicked on the link. Going back I am unable to load that page via the link or even my history.
No the Slate is the name for HP original pads. I dont rememb they intended to originally make an hybrid. Back to 2009 HP has been working on a Windows 7 tablet "The Slate". With Palm acquisition and Windows 7 issues on mobile devices (battery life, bulky design, non touchfriendly UI) they decided to go for an ARM/webOS tablet for the public (code name Topaz aka Touchpad) and kept "The Slate" for a confidential Professional market.

Here's the video.
[Exclu] Les futures fonctions de webOS : Upgrade du Tap to Share ?

And yes the touchstone specific exhibition already exists:
Touchstone-specific Exhibition Mode apps (webOS 3.x) | webOS Nation
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sunriseshell#WN
Old 07/20/2012, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
No the Slate is the name for HP original pads. I dont rememb they intended to originally make an hybrid. Back to 2009 HP has been working on a Windows 7 tablet "The Slate". With Palm acquisition and Windows 7 issues on mobile devices (battery life, bulky design, non touchfriendly UI) they decided to go for an ARM/webOS tablet for the public (code name Topaz aka Touchpad) and kept "The Slate" for a confidential Professional market.
Thanks for a new link to the video!

Yes the HP slate was a Windows 7 tablet PC, And yes the Touchpad was an ARM/WebOS device.

However, In the video the narrator states "HP Slate running WebOS". So I surmised this meant a Windows tablet PC which would run WebOS as well. This Idea is not much of a leap if you keep in mind that HP announced their intention of running WebOS in one form or another on a windows PC.

Perhaps you remember this:
McKinney: webOS to be integrated with Windows on PCs

So if I read your post correctly HP was intending to revamp the Slate in a WebOS version for enterprise?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0