Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  1.    #1  
    So I'm looking to get a phone to replace my Pre3.

    Granted, I love my Pre3, but I need functionality that just isn't there. Is the Galaxy Nexus a safe bet for open webOS?

    I see it cited around here quite often as the ideal open webOS device. Should I go ahead and buy it since it's only $350 unlocked? In other words, what is the chance that the GNex will be a viable open webOS device?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    So I'm looking to get a phone to replace my Pre3.

    Granted, I love my Pre3, but I need functionality that just isn't there. Is the Galaxy Nexus a safe bet for open webOS?

    I see it cited around here quite often as the ideal open webOS device. Should I go ahead and buy it since it's only $350 unlocked? In other words, what is the chance that the GNex will be a viable open webOS device?
    There are a lot of "wish lists" out there and they include many devices that people speculate will be capable of receiving a port of Open Source webOS...

    However, those that know best have said definitively - There is NO "OFFICIAL" device targeted for Open Source webOS. No promises have been made regarding anything other than webOS Open Source will be released. Anything other than that is a wait and see proposition.

    It is not even clear if Open Source will support phone or tablet or both at this point.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    sledge007 likes this.
  3. #3  
    I'd say the safest bet is one of the more popular Android phones. It's not likely we'd see webOS put on an android that sold less units than the TP Go

    There's no guarantees, since there's so many things that need to go right to get webOS up and running well.
    We'd have to wait, but I would probably say the GNex is a decent bet, but who knows. It could end up being the most incompatible Android phone, but I highly doubt it.

    There are no promises yet,and things are still unclear.
    I guess if you do spring for a GNex, you should cross your fingers and hope for the best
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  4. #4  
    Nothing's in stone but if I were to guess, any of these will be a safe bet:
    HTV Evo 3D (b/c hardware is so similar to pre 3)
    Nexus S
    Nexus
    GSII
    GSIII

    Of course, GSIII is the latest and greatest and by the time Open webOS comes out, it will still be the latest and greatest so naturally I can see ppl choosing that phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Nothing's in stone but if I were to guess, any of these will be a safe bet:
    HTV Evo 3D (b/c hardware is so similar to pre 3)
    Nexus S
    Nexus
    GSII
    GSIII

    Of course, GSIII is the latest and greatest and by the time Open webOS comes out, it will still be the latest and greatest so naturally I can see ppl choosing that phone.
    Unfortunately, the GSIII is an ***-ugly, oversized phone with those damned capacitive buttons instead of the ICS/JB soft buttons. -____- worst industrial design on a phone in awhile, everything is proportioned very weirdly and there are some terrible design choices, like the physical button in the middle and the cluttered space above the screen.

    Never, ever, ever getting a GSIII. I don't care how powerful it is.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Unfortunately, the GSIII is an ***-ugly, oversized phone with those damned capacitive buttons instead of the ICS/JB soft buttons. -____- worst industrial design on a phone in awhile, everything is proportioned very weirdly and there are some terrible design choices, like the physical button in the middle and the cluttered space above the screen.

    Never, ever, ever getting a GSIII. I don't care how powerful it is.
    actually, I personally think that having screen-only, always-on navigation buttons, is the stupidest and ugliest thing that could have been ever invented, and I much more prefer to have capacitive buttons below - not to mention, that it should be possible to implement "gesture area" based on the inputs from the capacitive buttons. But that's just my opinion.

    "Ugly, oversized" ...well, doesn't seem like anyone else cares, it is the best selling Android phone ever...
  7. mdram's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    #7  
    I wouldn't mind seeing it on my Lumia 900...

Posting Permissions