webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Compile Isis for the touchpad?
Compile Isis for the touchpad?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 07/08/2012, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Now that WOCE has been released and it includes a lot of header files, has anyone been able to compile Isis for the touchpad?

-Henri
hkowalczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

+1 to that...I'd love to see a build of WOCE with Isis included.
Old 07/08/2012, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

WOCE and Isis are two separate projects. Basically WOCE is the open source version of the webOS running currently on the TP (3.XX), Isis is the next gen brower for webOS. The missing dependencies needed to make isis work have not been released yet. Just be patient...
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

WOCE is just the LunaSysMgr, i.e. the window manager of webOS. It is not a full operating system.
filmor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jakeeeee likes this.
Old 07/11/2012, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can compile Isis for the touchpad right now. Somewhere on the forum someone uploaded an ipk of Isis. He didn't rename it so it replaces the browser you have, but you can remove it using WebOS Quick Install.
efiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: hpalmpad
Old 07/11/2012, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiniti View Post
You can compile Isis for the touchpad right now. Somewhere on the forum someone uploaded an ipk of Isis. He didn't rename it so it replaces the browser you have, but you can remove it using WebOS Quick Install.
efinity....

I should have rephrased that. Compile the non-enyo part of the the browser. i.e. browserserver and browseradapter.

vity traff...
the missing dependencies is what I'm trying to figure out... there shouldn't be many anymore since WOCE has a webview component and js and it has to deal with a lot of the display.
Old 07/11/2012, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

What dependencies are you missing? Just follow the instructions on https://github.com/isis-project/isis-project and build it with your cross-compiler.
filmor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2012, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
What dependencies are you missing? Just follow the instructions on https://github.com/isis-project/isis-project and build it with your cross-compiler.
must admit I haven't tried it... I assumed those would only work to build an ubuntu version...
Old 07/11/2012, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm reasonably certain that building it with the defines set for building for a device fail, although I could be wrong, I haven't bothered, since I'm not sure exactly how to configure it as such. It's quite a complex build process, and I'm rather afraid i'll break it if i change anything

The IPK that was going around the forum does not actually replace the binary parts, and as such, is nothing more than replacing the browser Enyo code with the exact same code.

filmor_ if you have actually built this, I'm pretty sure Rod and friends would love to know how
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2012, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkowalczyk View Post
must admit I haven't tried it... I assumed those would only work to build an ubuntu version...
You can create the ipk too. cd to the isis directory where BrowserAdapter, BrowserServer, etc are stored and after building it run palm-package isis-browser.
efiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2012, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I can't even get it build without make errors, let alone package it...
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2012, 05:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
You can create the ipk too. cd to the isis directory where BrowserAdapter, BrowserServer, etc are stored and after building it run palm-package isis-browser.
The build.sh file seems to be setup for x86 compiling, when it's running it creates an isis-x86 directory. What did you change to make it cross compile?
Old 07/17/2012, 07:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

So I can't build Isis on my 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04? Oh, that might be the reason make fails.
Old 07/17/2012, 08:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
So I can't build Isis on my 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04? Oh, that might be the reason make fails.
The build instructions say 10.04 and 11.10 64 bit... not sure if the libraries changed any in 12.04
Old 07/17/2012, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll try again then and will post the output, which I forgot in my previous post.
Old 07/18/2012, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
All that does is package the javascript.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Old 07/18/2012, 04:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
All that does is package the javascript.
The makefiles have some vague references to ARM7, etc... but I just don't think they are fully functional. I still think we must have pretty much every library necessary since I can't really see how we could compile the window manager and not be able to compile the simple(r) browser.

Unfortuantely I haven't kept up with makefiles and don't even know where to begin.
Old 07/18/2012, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

I am going to be looking at getting this working this evening and I suspect tomorrow as well! I probably won't have something to show until next week, though.

Then the fun begins and I can start making cool changes!

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2012, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
The makefiles have some vague references to ARM7, etc... but I just don't think they are fully functional. I still think we must have pretty much every library necessary since I can't really see how we could compile the window manager and not be able to compile the simple(r) browser.

Unfortuantely I haven't kept up with makefiles and don't even know where to begin.
the browser probably isn't actually simpler, considering browserserver browseradapter and the webkitsupplemental packages. Also WebKit is hundreds of times larger than Luna :-)

It probably can be done, if not now, soon.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 07/19/2012, 09:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
the browser probably isn't actually simpler, considering browserserver browseradapter and the webkitsupplemental packages. Also WebKit is hundreds of times larger than Luna :-)

It probably can be done, if not now, soon.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
yeah... maybe "simpler" is a bad choice of words... but in the source for Luna there is already a webpage.cpp etc, so I figured some (most?) of the libraries we need have already been released.

Hopefully they release everything needed soon since webkit is the heart of the entire touchpad seems like if they wanted to release WOCE, they should have made sure you could recompile webkit. Oh well, cross my fingers!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0