webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Respect for the work, but why do we have to wait for devices?
Respect for the work, but why do we have to wait for devices?
Like Tree19Likes

Old 07/13/2012, 01:22 AM   #41 (permalink)

don't know why we still see posts that suggest HP will/might/will release anything or announce another who will, they won't and can't afford to, they will only play the safe bet imho, which is why they went for windows.

we will only get new hardware support from the powers that be, the community.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 01:56 AM   #42 (permalink)

If your a webOS user your used to waiting that's why you have to wait and respect the work.
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 02:00 AM   #43 (permalink)

Will Open WebOS be Touchpad only is the question.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Juize likes this.
Old 07/13/2012, 05:20 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Will Open WebOS be Touchpad only is the question.
As far as I read it from other postings and threads here, the webOSinternals guys told us IIRC, that all the phone-parts of the softwareare there. So there should be no reason why it couldn't be used on a phone.
Old 07/13/2012, 06:03 AM   #45 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Only issue might be the performance of 3 vs 2 so we might need faster CPU for 3 to work properly?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 10:49 AM   #46 (permalink)

Did 3 work on any phones a year ago? Does it work now?
Old 07/13/2012, 11:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Did 3 work on any phones a year ago? Does it work now?
Since it wasn't open sourced, there was no way to verify it...

With it being open sourced we can finally test if it works, I would be surprised if it doesn't, but since 3 doesn't run always very smoothly on a dual core 1,2 GHZ CPU, I doubt that it would run properly on a Pre 3 or a Veer without the necessary tweaks.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 01:42 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

With it being open sourced we can finally test if it works, I would be surprised if it doesn't, but since 3 doesn't run always very smoothly on a dual core 1,2 GHZ CPU, I doubt that it would run properly on a Pre 3 or a Veer without the necessary tweaks.
And there aren't many Pre 3 or Veer phones around.
Old 07/14/2012, 12:29 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Seeing is believing
Abso-freaking-lutely.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2012, 12:34 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
As far as I read it from other postings and threads here, the webOSinternals guys told us IIRC, that all the phone-parts of the softwareare there. So there should be no reason why it couldn't be used on a phone.
Since no webOS devices ever supported LTE (only HSPA at best for 4G-ish speeds), how does Open webOS propose to solve that for device ports given that even CyanogenMod itself largely doesn't support 4G due to a variety of technical and legal reasons? That's the larger question that needs to be hashed out. I'm curious to know how the Open webOS project looks to get past this hurdle.
Old 07/14/2012, 06:14 PM   #51 (permalink)

In theory, theory mind you, using the standard linux 3.3 kernel *should* make it fairly easy to port drivers. But then, I'm no dev, and don't think any will really be able to say you til we see the source for open webOS. The biggest question here would be the difficulty of implmenting Android drivers under webOS I think? Or I could be talking out my axx. ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2012, 08:25 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Well, as my post above stated, even CyanogenMod--the people who have developed the most successful Android ports other than Android itself--can't even get 4G working on most of the devices they support. That should make it crystal clear just how difficult it's going to be for Open webOS to do the same if they try to port it to non-webOS devices.

And yes, CyanogenMod uses the same "standard linux kernel" Android uses. They kinda have to. CM still can't get 4G working on 90%+ of those devices. That's what I was getting at.

Hope this clears it up.
Old 07/15/2012, 07:10 AM   #53 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

With Uberkernel and Muffle System Logging, everything runs buttery smooth. Just put OpenWebOS on it and install those 2 and then it'll fly.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2012, 12:46 PM   #54 (permalink)

I don't know much but searching for devices with the same processor as Pre3 gives 51 devices:

Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

Maybe it will be easier to port to those.
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 09:06 AM   #55 (permalink)

I still have my three webOS devices. I thought maybe they'll get an update, but after the news that the exissting hardware won't be supported I don't have my hopes up.

In fact I bought myself an iPad 64GB with wireless and I am loving it so far. Finally content and the apps I want to use...

The latest news make me thing to sell the whole package (TP 32GB, Pre 2 unlocked GSM and Veer unlocked GSM) to a soul who has the nerve to stay with them.
Juize is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 08/01/2012, 12:52 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juize View Post
The latest news make me thing to sell the whole package (TP 32GB, Pre 2 unlocked GSM and Veer unlocked GSM) to a soul who has the nerve to stay with them.
I have at least some nerve.
it's nice having something different compared to my peers
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 01:16 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I have at least some nerve.
it's nice having something different compared to my peers

some like to be different and most like to do the same as all the other cool people
Old 08/01/2012, 05:38 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Click to view quoted image

some like to be different and most like to do the same as all the other cool people
they're nice conversation pieces too

I'm on mobile, but there was this picture I remember, It was a lot of people using apple laptops (sea of white glowing apple logos) captioned: "Think different, yet all the same"
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 01:44 AM   #59 (permalink)

I will buy an iPad ... as soon as it runs WebOS ... *ducks away and runs out*
Old 08/04/2012, 05:04 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Click to view quoted image

I used to think the same way. But for being successful means not having resistance. I thought it would have been a cool third alternative with webOS. But HP failed on many levels. Besides putting Angry Birds on a sloppy device they failed . Still a lot of people are loving the system, but to me it lacks the most important thing a vision with execution.

I still wonder why there are people employed as developer relation counsels. For what???

And to make it clear. I want the leading apps on the system I use. That is why I tend to go with iOS. For my needs there is everything. Android has the Google apps support and then some. But I am not into games, I couldn't care less. I am not 12 years old.

I am into movies, rentals and buying. Zero serious apps on there.

I am into producing music. Zero serious apps on there.

Android doesn't deliver in both fields in Germany.

I don't want to mess around with my music collection. It's now completely on iTunes.

But anyway besides amazon, there is no real music to buy on Android.

I don't want a cluttered experience anymore.

I liked to be the outsider and have interesting conversations about webOS. But I want to focus on the content and the creation of content, not the plattform and how to fiddle with the shortcomings.

Time is precious and sometimes one has to change a way to be more successful.

It could have been different, but with half assed people leading a company like HP it had to suck. MS is too powerful. That was my feeling right from the start. That is why they brought in Leo the menace and what I never understood is that a small group of developers are able to smooth over a system like webOS in weeks and the official crew isn't able to come up with decent solutions?

Are you kidding me?

So you couldn't buy the best hardware around HP? I don't believe you.

To this day we don't have an onscreen keyboard on the phone.

Too many jokes...

Don't get me wrong: webOS is the best system, just like betamax .

Cheers

I had to get this out. Especially after the latest announcement and the iSheep reaction here.
Juize is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0