webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Respect for the work, but why do we have to wait for devices?
Respect for the work, but why do we have to wait for devices?
Like Tree19Likes

Old 07/09/2012, 11:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
I know HP's name is worth very little on this forum due to the webos debacle, but questioning whether they will be around in 10 years is slightly OTT in my opinion. Their market share in the enterprise space is (and has always been) either number 1 or two and that is where they innovate. They have never been a "sexy" brand to consumers and will likely never be. That doesn't mean they'll disappear (despite some wishful thinking of many spiteful folk on here).
Say now, Brother... I don't know why you quoted ME after your remark about spiteful folk.

What in my post sounded spiteful?

I was advising the OP to hang tight and give Open Source a chance. I made exactly ZERO comments about HP... I bear them no ill will. I was addressing the fact of the uncertain atmosphere regarding just what Open Source will yield for loyal users. I'm looking forward to it coming and want to see it succeed. If anything I would give credit to HP for turning the code loose and not just shelving it.

Better a struggle to port and adapt than just a dead end OS.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 11:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

For me I've simply stocked up on webOS phones so I don't have to worry bout them breaking. I've got 2 Pre Plus' that still work, 2 Pre2's (one of which is my daily carry) and just ordered 2 Pre 3's for $300. They'll all work great on my Verizon data plan and, frankly, they all still work great!.

I frankly find that I use my Touchpad more than my phones for web browsing. The phone is there for quick google lookups, text and voice.

I really believe I've got enough phone choices to last me for 2 or more years. If Open Source is going to work...and I believe it will...I fully expect to be able to keep my webOS on devices from other makers. I've been thinking lately that a Windows 8 phone with dual boot webOS would really integrate my phone/tablet/desktop life in a way that would be really convenient.

Who knows....time will tell. My choice is simply to take advantage of all the cheap NIB Pre's to keep my webOS world rocking for quite a while...and for less money than a new phone.

My 2 cents.
floridarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Balooz
Old 07/09/2012, 03:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Say now, Brother... I don't know why you quoted [I]ME after your remark about spiteful folk.

What in my post sounded spiteful?

I was advising the OP to hang tight and give Open Source a chance. I made exactly ZERO comments about HP... I bear them no ill will. I was addressing the fact of the uncertain atmosphere regarding just what Open Source will yield for loyal users. I'm looking forward to it coming and want to see it succeed. [I]If anything I would give credit to HP for turning the code loose and not just shelving it.

Better a struggle to port and adapt than just a dead end OS.
sorry dude, I think I quoted the wrong post, but I wasn't having a go per se - someone mentioned Hp not being around in 10 years which is what I took umbrage with.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/09/2012, 04:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions . I had a pre- then got the pre 2 and have a touchpad. Basically all I am saying is there needs to be some kind of "Nexus" webOS phone.

I don't care if it's HP or HTC or Samsung. But it needs to set the tonality right.

Galaxy Nexus - considered that. Camera is bad. Screen is bad and still no micro SD. Other than that great phone.

That only leaves the iPhone 4s/5 or HTC One X. HTC is too big and iPhone too small.

Pre3 too expensive for what it is. If someone would offer me one for a realistic price US version I might consider spending the money.

It's like having the meal without a plate...not so handy at all.
Juize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 05:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juize View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions . I had a pre- then got the pre 2 and have a touchpad. Basically all I am saying is there needs to be some kind of "Nexus" webOS phone.

Pre3 too expensive for what it is. If someone would offer me one for a realistic price US version I might consider spending the money.

It's like having the meal without a plate...not so handy at all.
I agree with your words, I wanted a Palm Pre 3 device as my upgrade from my old Palm Pixi+. However, looking at the price of that device which is sold online for more than $400 is not much worthy of a purchase considering the high price of it. I was looking for a U.S version for the red Verizon Wireless company, but everywhere that I looked was too expensive. So I kindly settle for a cheaper Palm Pre 2 device which ended costing me $100 dollars(not including shipping).

Hopefully, if my Palm Pre 2 device goes of the way of the Doodoo for whatever the reason that happens to my device(oreo effect/breaks off)...crossing my fingers that HP Pre 3's gets cheaper online to get my hands on one of those devices.
Old 07/09/2012, 06:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

HP may be simply being tight lipped about a partnership or device. They could spring it for holidays sales. I highly doubt it but it is not an off the charts scenario.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 08:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I agree with your words, I wanted a Palm Pre 3 device as my upgrade from my old Palm Pixi+. However, looking at the price of that device which is sold online for more than $400 is not much worthy of a purchase considering the high price of it. I was looking for a U.S version for the red Verizon Wireless company, but everywhere that I looked was too expensive. So I kindly settle for a cheaper Palm Pre 2 device which ended costing me $100 dollars(not including shipping).

Hopefully, if my Palm Pre 2 device goes of the way of the Doodoo for whatever the reason that happens to my device(oreo effect/breaks off)...crossing my fingers that HP Pre 3's gets cheaper online to get my hands on one of those devices.
Bought 2 Verizon Pre3's this weekend. Seller accepted offer automatically for $300 and when I tried $275 for the second he replied @ $299.

★ HP PLAM PRE 3 VERIZON 3G GLOBAL SMARTPHONE ★ 16GB BLACK ★ MATCH YOUR TOUCHPAD 886111711512 | eBay

My guess is they won't last long at this price.
floridarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 02:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
HP may be simply being tight lipped about a partnership or device. They could spring it for holidays sales. I highly doubt it but it is not an off the charts scenario.

Highly doubtful - they are going to put out either a tablet good enough to compete with the ipad or cheap enough to compete with the nexus 7 or a phone that will not be sunk by the iphone 5?

That is before you get into the fact that Nokia and RIM will be throwing everything they have at trying to stay in business and relevant.

HP will never put out another WebOS device.

Last edited by CGK; 07/10/2012 at 02:40 AM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 04:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juize View Post
Why should I hold on to webOS? It's basically software without hardware right now. I am a consumer and partially a prosumer with in depth interest.

But I need hardware to run the software I like on.

HP cannot be serious about this.
There is only so long even the most die hard of us can hold on, At some point we wont just be overlooking the bugs but the hardware will be severely out of date. I hope a big manufacturer proves me wrong and makes webos devices..i really really do.
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 07:23 AM   #30 (permalink)

Yes, HP is "bad"
You get another device around there.

But... again..
But, device without hard-qwerty keyboard?
I am so sorry, personally I dont like.
The only Android I bought is Xperia Pro (with keyboard).

Better, I will buy another Veer again from China. Around 150 dollars

So,
Palm without keyboard? Its' not the original tradition..
AREMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 08:07 AM   #31 (permalink)

Panasonic Eluga : Best smartphone for webOS Porting
Old 07/10/2012, 12:57 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
Panasonic Eluga : Best smartphone for webOS Porting
You are joking around. 4.3 GB useable. LOL. Forget it. No flash for the camera. sluggish system.

Seriously. My Pre2 is not getting better every day. Keyboard starting to suck up letters.

My guess is that it's going to be iOS. Android hasn't got the device I want. Everything is out of proportion. 4.X screens do not, I repeat, do not find in my jeans pocket. I am talking about the front pocket not the back hanging in my knee.

I especially enjoyed the place over here. Been here from day one and you guys helped a lot.

Now it's time to be pro about my choices and accept that I invested into a sinking vessel.

That Is how I feel about my "mobile" experience.
Juize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 01:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

As an ex iphone4 user, I can say that unless there is some app you can't live without I like using the pre3 that I have now much better. Ios isn't bad. Its fast and works, however it doesn't multitask like webOS does. I couldn't go back to ios right now webOS is just too nice to use for me, but to each their own...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 11:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
As an ex iphone4 user, I can say that unless there is some app you can't live without I like using the pre3 that I have now much better. Ios isn't bad. Its fast and works, however it doesn't multitask like webOS does. I couldn't go back to ios right now webOS is just too nice to use for me, but to each their own...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Unless hardware support and updates are important to someone.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2012, 04:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
I get a kick out of @HP's time line. T-shirts, ink, toner, paper, Envy Spectre, & this ad for a new smart phone app....iPhone and Android....not even a bone tossed our way. I'm not surprised, but it would have been a nice gesture. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/sm...cm:245-1067045

webOS is the furthest thing in their minds right now. Maybe they will change their mind, but if they aren't even willing to have heir own app for Open webOS, what does that tell you?
Page not found. But if you're talking about the Eprint app: that is already built-in on the Touchpad. I don't see why we need an app for something that's built-in.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2012, 07:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Myself I think they should discard the ePrint support like so much rubbish and implement network/wifi printing via CUPS. No point in restricting functionality to HP printers now the OS is going open-source.
Old 07/11/2012, 08:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Btw:: HP just released a new app for webOS: Security Information Pulse.
it's not a spectular app, but any app that HP creates for webOS is IMHO a sign that they do not forget about us.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by Daughain, RumoredNow
Old 07/12/2012, 10:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
No, HP might come with a webOS-tablet in 2013. Phones are dead, tablet might not be.
I can't believe people are still hanging onto the one mention Whitman made of this.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2012, 10:21 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
I can't believe people are still hanging onto the one mention Whitman made of this.
Seeing is believing
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 07/13/2012, 01:05 AM   #40 (permalink)

Fact is, every time a new OS (like Firefox OS) comes out, you know beforehand on which phone/tablet hardware it will run, who the partners are and sometimes even what dataplans they have and what the device will probably cost.
Being "tight lipped" is contra productive, because you will need time to press the coming product into the minds of the customers. Because if you only start marketing AFTER the device is on the shelves, it will take too much time for the train to catch up to speed and the product will be off the shelves for not being bought in sufficient numbers.

Therefore my guess is, that HP doesn't tell us anything because that company is, as always, completely clue- and strategyless when it comes to the mobile sector...
They don't have any partners and they don't seem to be looking for one. Maybe they are waiting for companies to cometh before them. Or they simply are not interested in WebOS anymore. Or both?

Strategywise HP gives me a "hrmph"-like laugh each time. If you look at the players who are successful, like Samsung i.e., then you see, they have a clear product philosophy and pricepolitics. They sell smartphones in different pricing categories as well as tablets. They produce good products and have top of the line technics in their devices but also sell lower-tech devices for lower prices. They have a main OS provided by Google. They have a fallback szenario with Bada/Tizen with strong partners there as well (i.e. Intel). They FLOOD the tv, internet and mags with ads.
They have so much business drive, they now even announced tablets with win8.

And now compare this to HP.
They have ... nothing.
They had WebOS and busted it.
They will have openWebOS but don't care.
They tried to go for Win8 Tablets, but rumour has it, that M$s surface scare them off.
Except for notebooks they are non existant in the mobile world.
And why? Because they are clueless and have nothing that could remotely be called a strategy.

Oh BTW, Microsoft will open their own shops for the Surface tablet (and probably for more hardwarestuff as well). They seem to be following the Apple strategy.
And why? Because they have a strategy and put the $ behind it to enforce it.

Normally incompetence the way HP shows it would simply amuse me, but as my favorite mobile OS suffers from it, that tends to make me p*ssed off.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0