webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Wave launcher and Stacks on webOS open source.
Wave launcher and Stacks on webOS open source.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By blackfireball5
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By ShiftyAxel
  • 1 Post By akitayo

Old 07/06/2012, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Wave launcher and Stacks on webOS open source.

Will the webOS unique and exclusive wave launcher be included on the open source version?

The unique and exclusive wave launcher on webOS shortcut which works when you open any application swiping it from the center up of the screen, is a must have on the open source version .

Is so unique and exclusive feature to differentiate the OS from rivals . All webOS smartphones versions have it.
You can customize your apps to have them available on the wave launcher

Despite there are now some apps that emulates the webOS launcher on Androids, meaning you have to find out the app, tap it to have it running , on webOS it is native, meaning ,you don`t need to find an additional app to have it.

To complete this post would be interesting if you upload a video tutorial on youtube of the wave launcher.

Stacks is also a must have feature on webOS as exclusive . I have not seen any other mobile OS making or copying it yet. Have you?
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano likes this.
Old 07/06/2012, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

The wave launcher on the TouchPad would be cool. If it ever comes to light, I hope that it would be a 2nd gen WL, ie the schematics we saw months ago. Open wave launcher, keep holding on an icon, and a 2nd wave launcher opens under that. Think 7 icons, which split into 7 each.....total of 49.
Old 07/06/2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed, i wanna see the wave launcher version 2 in Open webOS.
Old 07/06/2012, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

What I hope for is a wave launcher that can have a different list of apps than the quick launch bar.

right now, it feels a tad bit redundant to me
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2012, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

since its not native to the touchpad, maybe someone can do what eblade did for side swipe gestures, i believe he took the code from the phone and applied it to the touchpad.

so maybe some could try that, phone code for wave launcher and apply it to the touchpad, at least version 1 of it and xandros9 thats not a bad idea, though i wouldnt like it as a default, maybe a wave launcher system setting, with an on/off slider for alternate apps and you select which apps you want instead of the ones on the quick launch bar

Last edited by retroblu; 07/06/2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling error: once - ones
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2012, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

Hi guys thanks for yours posts and great opinions. Now this forum info have been twitted worldwide.

P.S By the way is there a verb past tense: twitted?
Old 07/06/2012, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was thinking the proper term/verb you are looking for would be "tweeted" but I'm just a twit who knows nary a thing about it...so...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by akitayo, xandros9
Old 07/07/2012, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
The wave launcher on the TouchPad would be cool. If it ever comes to light, I hope that it would be a 2nd gen WL, ie the schematics we saw months ago. Open wave launcher, keep holding on an icon, and a 2nd wave launcher opens under that. Think 7 icons, which split into 7 each.....total of 49.
Is that possible I mean to program it to get your vision, sounds great.
Old 07/07/2012, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
since its not native to the touchpad, maybe someone can do what eblade did for side swipe gestures, i believe he took the code from the phone and applied it to the touchpad.

so maybe some could try that, phone code for wave launcher and apply it to the touchpad, at least version 1 of it and xandros9 thats not a bad idea, though i wouldnt like it as a default, maybe a wave launcher system setting, with an on/off slider for alternate apps and you select which apps you want instead of the ones on the quick launch bar
like the Teal OS app maybe???
Old 07/07/2012, 01:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Is that possible I mean to program it to get your vision, sounds great.
http://www.webosnation.com/multi-lay...ld-have-been-1
Remember this article? This is what I was talking about.
Old 07/07/2012, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Well, for a wave launcher on Touchpad, you'd have to have the OK of the patent holders officially.

Not that it'd be much of a problem if someone got it into webOS CE, of course, given that it's a contribution to an HP-owned OS on a now HP-owned patent, but to cover your legal bases you're always better off getting the blessing before making it official. As long as it's to their patent specification, any developer should be good to go as long as it's from code of their own derivation and not an augmentation of any other that currently exists.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 07:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

I just assumed that the wave launcher, is a part of webOS, and that webOS was going open source, so therefore....so will the wave launcher. I realize it isn't part of any version of webOS 3.x.x, but that isn't what was being open sourced, was it? webOS, as a whole is going open source, not just a specific version of webOS?

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

This page here looks to me like ALL versions, but feel free to correct me.
Old 07/07/2012, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I just assumed that the wave launcher, is a part of webOS, and that webOS was going open source, so therefore....so will the wave launcher. I realize it isn't part of any version of webOS 3.x.x, but that isn't what was being open sourced, was it? webOS, as a whole is going open source, not just a specific version of webOS?

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

This page here looks to me like ALL versions, but feel free to correct me.
The wave launcher isn't in webOS 3. I assume the code was removed. Hopefully, it returns in Open webOS. Not sure whether Palm/HP released the Luna source code for webOS 2.X. In spite of its age, I still use my Sprint Pre. I prefer the elegance of the launcher UI over webOS 2 & 3, even though I own a Pre 2, Pre 3 and Touchpad.
Old 07/07/2012, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
http://www.webosnation.com/multi-lay...ld-have-been-1
Remember this article? This is what I was talking about.
That is an historical great article by Derek .
If That multilayer wave launcher could be included on webOS open source yet, would be great.

I made a pdf of that article attached herewith.
Liked by blackfireball5 likes this.
Old 07/08/2012, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There is indeed no wave launcher code in 3.x, but there's nothing to stop it from being reimplimented by some resourceful developer.
However, I think it needs a new way to activate it that doesn't involve an upswipe- upswipes should trigger as soon as your finger leaves the gesture area instead of when your finger leaves the screen (see this).
I'm thinking something like a tap-and-hold at the bottom of the screen to reveal it, then the user is free to drag up/down/release-to-launch as they please?
Old 07/10/2012, 12:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
There is indeed no wave launcher code in 3.x, but there's nothing to stop it from being reimplimented by some resourceful developer.
However, I think it needs a new way to activate it that doesn't involve an upswipe- upswipes should trigger as soon as your finger leaves the gesture area instead of when your finger leaves the screen (see this).
I'm thinking something like a tap-and-hold at the bottom of the screen to reveal it, then the user is free to drag up/down/release-to-launch as they please?
I like it ., it is a great alternative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9oV...ature=youtu.be
Thanked By: ShiftyAxel
Old 08/18/2012, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

It should be triggered and usable just with one thumb: you swipe from the right of the bottom bezel for instance, and the wave appears in the corner, touching both the right of bottom bezel and the bottom of the right bezel.

Dunno if it's clear!

Anyway, it could also come from right or left corner, but not bottom only since we would want to keep the tp in both hands...
Old 08/18/2012, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
It should be triggered and usable just with one thumb: you swipe from the right of the bottom bezel for instance, and the wave appears in the corner, touching both the right of bottom bezel and the bottom of the right bezel.

Dunno if it's clear!

Anyway, it could also come from right or left corner, but not bottom only since we would want to keep the tp in both hands...

Once the user swipes from left or right the wave holds on the screen to select and tap on
Liked by grasshoper likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0