Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Firstly, is this theoretically possible? Secondly, if it is, I volunteer a partition for pre-alpha testing. :-)

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  2. #2  
    webOS CE is just code for the normal vanilla webOS released for whatev's.

    CE = 3.0.5, its just easier to mod
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  3.    #3  
    My mistake, I thought CE stood for community edition. Which I thought to be a partially open sourced edition of webOS, allowing the gurus here to mod it.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    My mistake, I thought CE stood for community edition. Which I thought to be a partially open sourced edition of webOS, allowing the gurus here to mod it.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    That part is right. webOS CE is not something you can install on your TP, or even if it is, it's a still webOS 3.05. What you really want are the mods that have been made. I'm guessing they will be released as soon as the devs figure out how to distribute them or perhaps it needs bug fixes.
  5.    #5  
    So, the release is incomplete? I'm asking seriously here since I don't know. If you did a complete compile of the code is it missing portions to run? My impression was that it was complete source.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    So, the release is incomplete? I'm asking seriously here since I don't know. If you did a complete compile of the code is it missing portions to run? My impression was that it was complete source.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    It is something you can install on your TP, but it is not without its bugs...the most extreme one is PDK apps (and full screen video?) don't seem to work correctly. :-|
  7.    #7  
    Back to my original question,how hard would it be to dual boot?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    Back to my original question,how hard would it be to dual boot?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I'm no expert, but perhaps? The UI layer (ie WOCE or stock) is something that must be started on the device. So if you can pause the boot process to allow for the choice, then I guess it is feasible.

    Personally, I'd rather fix this PDK bug and forget about stock.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    Back to my original question,how hard would it be to dual boot?
    Again, as stated in post #2, this is not a complete bootable operating system but rather a part of the code. IOW, you wont be able to dual/triple boot it as you would X/Windows/OS X. Think of it as Microsoft releasing some code relating to the Windows shell so that we can tweak Windows Explorer and Aero elements to our liking. While this would facilitate the patching of bugs (less BSOD and Windows crashes) or optimization of Aero (to work on older intgrated GPUs?), it wont boot because there is no core NT kernel, boot loaders or other needed libraries. Its simply not an OS, but a part of the OS.

    The best you can hope for are patches that will merge the optimized CE code into what we already have on our devices, thereby giving them the new functionality.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Again, as stated in post #2, this is not a complete bootable operating system but rather a part of the code. IOW, you wont be able to dual/triple boot it as you would X/Windows/OS X. Think of it as Microsoft releasing some code relating to the Windows shell so that we can tweak Windows Explorer and Aero elements to our liking. While this would facilitate the patching of bugs (less BSOD and Windows crashes) or optimization of Aero (to work on older intgrated GPUs?), it wont boot because there is no core NT kernel, boot loaders or other needed libraries. Its simply not an OS, but a part of the OS.

    The best you can hope for are patches that will merge the optimized CE code into what we already have on our devices, thereby giving them the new functionality.
    If LunaSysMgr is something that is started, couldn't you have two versions loaded on the tablet? Ie one = LunaSysMgr1 and the other is LunaSysMgr?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dukiedrew View Post
    I'm no expert, but perhaps? The UI layer (ie WOCE or stock) is something that must be started on the device. So if you can pause the boot process to allow for the choice, then I guess it is feasible.

    Personally, I'd rather fix this PDK bug and forget about stock.
    Should be possible. I mean, we already have CM9, Ubuntu and Arch which can all be dual-booted. So that means the boot process can be paused to choose one of those 3 or webOS. I don't see why the same won't apply for CE then.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Again, as stated in post #2, this is not a complete bootable operating system but rather a part of the code. IOW, you wont be able to dual/triple boot it as you would X/Windows/OS X. Think of it as Microsoft releasing some code relating to the Windows shell so that we can tweak Windows Explorer and Aero elements to our liking. While this would facilitate the patching of bugs (less BSOD and Windows crashes) or optimization of Aero (to work on older intgrated GPUs?), it wont boot because there is no core NT kernel, boot loaders or other needed libraries. Its simply not an OS, but a part of the OS.

    The best you can hope for are patches that will merge the optimized CE code into what we already have on our devices, thereby giving them the new functionality.
    So you mean the videos that include the new webkit are fake? Or have you found a way to install the new webkit on the current webOS then?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    So you mean the videos that include the new webkit are fake? Or have you found a way to install the new webkit on the current webOS then?
    New WebKit? Sorry, what? Where did you read that there was new WebKit available for use?

    Allow me to clarify: webOS CE is the open-sourced code of Luna System Manager, which is basically webOS' UI. The cards, exhibition mode, status bar, and all that good stuff. It comes in the form of a linux executable binary file (named LunaSysMgr) which you load onto your device by rewriting the old one. 'Dual Boot' as such isn't really the correct term, since you're booting into the same OS, only with a different UI executable.

    webOS CE is not Open webOS, webOS CE is not Isis Browser (new WebKit). webOS CE is for tiding us over and letting us write neat new features in while we wait for Open webOS, and hopefully the dev team behind it will look at those features and say 'hey, those are cool, we could learn something from this' and include them, or something much like them for the September release.

    Rather than selecting which Luna you want on boot, I think it would be more sensible for someone to write an app to toggle between 3.0.5 and CE. It would be a simple matter of renaming the currently in use executable to LunaSysMgr.old and replacing it with the not-currently-in-use one, then restarting Luna.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    It would be a simple matter of...
    Famous last words Shifty?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    So you mean the videos that include the new webkit are fake? Or have you found a way to install the new webkit on the current webOS then?
    The version of Webkit being used by webOS 3.x is so comparatively ancient to the recent Webkit nightlies that it'd require a pretty concerted effort to bring webOS up to date and still retain app compatibility, nevermind the problems Mojo-based apps would suffer.

    It could be done, but it'll take more than a couple of folks messing with CE code to do it. With any luck, the Open webOS team is tackling it. You only have to remember all the issues that webOS had through the past few years when the Webkit core was updated to realize it takes a team since Webkit is basically the engine that makes everything tick on the app layer.
  16. #16  
    If someone fixed the pdk bug then I don't think there would be a reason to dual boot. Other than that, they're basically the same
  17.    #17  
    I primarily want to dual boot so I can tinker without worrying about needing to find a computer to Dr my TP if I screw something up again.

    Now, let me check my understanding of what the big brains have said; the kernel is the same, the only functional difference is the ui (lunasysmgr) on top of the kernel, correct?


    PS, I don't use windows, and am not familiar with it.
    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  18. #18  
    The easiest way for now to do what you want is to copy your stock lsm when you replace it with the woce one you've built. Then you can copy it back onto the touchpad when or if you need or want it its just one file not an entire os...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  19.    #19  
    The easiest way for now to do what you want is to copy your stock lsm when you replace it with the woce one you've built. Then you can copy it back onto the touchpad when or if you need or want it its just one file not an entire os...

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    A roundabout wah of saying my understanding was correct. Thanks. Your 'easiest way' relies on my having unlimited access to another computer, which I don't have, hence my reason for dualboot. I can't afford to wait a week or so to be able to replace my backed up lsm. I already have a 4gig part, so a dualboot option is more useful to me.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Posting Permissions