webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS Community Edition - Findings
webOS Community Edition - Findings
Like Tree10Likes

Old 06/30/2012, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I figured we should have a place to post and discuss findings and tidbits related to the Community Edition, stuff like interesting finds inside the source code or the locations of well-hidden unctionality.
So, here it is.

I'll start the ball rolling with a few points:
Virtual Gesture Area
There seem to be definitions for a 'VirtualCoreNavi' in Settings.cpp similar to those of the Virtual Keyboard, but there are no references to it anywhere else. Perhaps it was a planned feature for 3.x that didn't make it?
There also seems to be some kind of virtual gesture area inside HostQtDesktop.cpp, but since woce-build only supports armv7 as of writing, this isn't really something we can investigate.

Phone Support
There are host definitions for all of the known webOS platforms inside the source code (and some unknown, 'chile' anyone?) yet webOS 3.x was only ever released for the topaz/touchpad. Also included is a phone-sized virtual keyboard. Were there plans to update previous devices? Or perhaps they were simply left over from webOS 2.x?

So, have at it. What items of interest have people discovered?

Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 06/30/2012 at 08:52 PM.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, Garfonso and 2 others like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 06/30/2012, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Considering I just ran across some commented or defined out code from the CES Demo, my guess is that there has never been a whole re-write of LunaSysMgr, ever

The Virtual Gesture area is for the phone app emulator, I think. I was wondering if it might be interesting to add one to the top menu bar in the otherwise dead space, though.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2012, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That makes me a sad panda. But I guess that's what Open webOS is for

Come to think of it, there's a pre-made virtual gesture area inside lunaui/cards/emulation that could be repurposed for that. I tried adding it to one of the scene/window manager files the other day, but no results. It was a pretty feeble attempt at making it work though, if I'm honest.
Old 07/01/2012, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I stumbled across the phone keyboard images too. I wonder what the horizontal drag handle image was going to be for? (Maybe resizing keys by dragging up or down?)
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I was poking around the keyboard files earlier and found reference to a dragHandleEnabled variable (or something like that). I wonder if it's implemented... Sound preferable to holding the dismiss button.
Old 07/01/2012, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Maybe...

Swipe ^ - call up keyboard

Swipe v - dismiss keyboard

??? What do I know? Keep poking at it dudes... I like reading what you're finding behind the scenes.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2012, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Should be this:
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and xandros9 like this.
Old 07/01/2012, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The phone key images inside WOCE are actually different looking- they're black and look like they gain a blue outline when tapped.
Old 07/01/2012, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post

Phone Support
There are host definitions for all of the known webOS platforms inside the source code (and some unknown, 'chile' anyone?) ...
This might have been the touch-screen only phone that was rumoured a while back. Looking in the conf file it's got a display res of 800x480.

There is also a mention of windsor in the conf files too with a similar resolution but tablet display set to true. Interesting...

Remember this? http://www.webosnation.com/keyboard-...gray-exclusive
Old 07/01/2012, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Oh man, THAT article. That made me sad, the stingray looked like a really nice bit of kit.

Perhaps the windsor was a pen-enabled phablet, akin to the Galaxy Note? There are references to stuff like 'penIndicator' (aka the tap ripple) in the code, which seems like an odd name to give a finger position indicator.
Old 07/01/2012, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Haha. Sorry!

Just found another couple of things. (Feel free to discount them as HTML is pretty much my limit of my coding abilities.)

First, more on "WindsorNot", Chile etc. https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/t...Src/base/hosts is an interesting place to look through.

For example, https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/b...WindsorNot.cpp mentions:

Code:
int HostArmWindsorNot::getNumberOfSwitches() const
{
	// Has ringer, No slider, Has Headset, Has Power
	return 3;
}
Which suggests it would have been a candy bar like phone.
Although looking at https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/b...stArmChile.cpp simply states that it has a headset only (which I'm presuming is a speaker / microphone combination):
Code:
int HostArmChile::getNumberOfSwitches() const
{
	/* headset only, no slider or ringer */
	return 1;
}
So what's that? A bluetooth headset? IDK.

Lastly, is Loupe.js (in https://github.com/woce/LunaSysMgr/t...baselineserver) sounds promising - if it relates to the UI and selection of text, I'm not sure it does.
Old 07/02/2012, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

did anyone notice that when they open the app catalog that the first pivot comes up?
zackawee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2012, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
did anyone notice that when they open the app catalog that the first pivot comes up?
What video are you talking about? I never saw the app catalog in the two videos in the front page article.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2012, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
What video are you talking about? I never saw the app catalog in the two videos in the front page article.
I think he's talking about my video - the touchpad that i made that on is not on the public servers, so has never received a pivot change. Same thing would be if I restored it from a doctor before demoing, I guess.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2012, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I believe zacky59 has WOCE installed on his Touchpad, based on his posts in the app switching gestures thread. He also had to perform a full reset, which would explain the first edition of pivot showing up.

@lsandunk I thought that when I first saw the entry for the chile too, but I believe that's referring to the switches on the devices, aka ringer switch, slider 'switch', not sure what a headset switch is though. I don't think any of the released devices have one.
And loupe.js looks like a magnifying loupe of some sort, but rebaselineserver sounds like some sort of system/debug tool to me.
Old 07/02/2012, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Maybe...

Swipe ^ - call up keyboard

Swipe v - dismiss keyboard

??? What do I know? Keep poking at it dudes... I like reading what you're finding behind the scenes.
This makes me wonder...with some fields you can restrict to #s only. Perhaps when you're on one of these fields, the keyboard drops to just show those keys?

Or slide over and have a keypad style input mechanism?
dukiedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2012, 03:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Am I going mad, or have I just stumbled across something?

I just googled Windsornot, and found this on Vimeo:

Products - HP Palm - WindsorNot on Vimeo

Which is either a very good spoof, or an actual teaser. It matches up with the conf file - No slider, headset, ringer and power. From looking at the back it has a removable battery, too.

Looking across the rest of their videos, they seem to have a large amount of HP work, so it may be legitmate.

There are also a number of Opal (Touchpad Go) which I'm not sure anyone has seen before? (I haven't seen them at least) Transparent House’s Videos on Vimeo.

I'm gutted seeing these videos. Windsornot (which I think is actually a reference to a Windsor Knot) looks pretty nice, and matching it up against the Pre 3 gives you an idea of it's approximate size. It's even got a physical hardware button a la TouchPad, so it's probably running 3.x.x

Here's a quick mockup (excuse the roughness):

On the left is Windsornot, and the right, old faithful, the Pre 3.

Here's the back:
Liked by Rnp, xandros9 and renater like this.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 07/03/2012, 04:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

WindsorNot looks like a very nice phone actually even though I personally prefer a physical keyboard. I really don't know why HP quit the phone hardware business
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Garfonso
Old 07/03/2012, 04:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

I bet that phone would stay on the Touchstone, with no problems. What a shame.
Old 07/03/2012, 04:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
I bet that phone would stay on the Touchstone, with no problems. What a shame.
I'm quite sure too and if not it would rest on the desk with it's bottom
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0