Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is open WebOS only for newer devices?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I vote no. The only devices that should be touch are the TouchPad, Veer, Pre3 and MAYBE the Pre2.

Pres and Pixis I would imagine become low priority simply because of the outdated hardware.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    the op was asking a technical/factual question (that's a good one) I don't really see the need to vote your opinion.
    I would hazard a guess that TP gets the first "official" update and 2.x phones soon after...

Just a gut feeling.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    If this is anything like Android development, it could be ported to the Pre-. "Could" is the key word. Will it? It depends if a developer wants to port it. But it will probably not run well. The G1 can still run the latest version of Android, but only because someone ported it and it isn't as good as it's meant to be. We'll have to see how things work out.
    WebOS 2 wasn't released for the Pre, WebOS 3 wasn't released for the Pre, so it's hard to imagine that Open WebOS would be compatible with the Pre.

Other than the TouchPad, there are a limited number of Pre 2s, Veers and Pre 3s in the marketplace and WebOS 3 wasn't released for those models.

It will most likely be for the Touchpad. Hopefully they will port it to a phone to showcase it 's mobile capabilities.
    Please pardon my ignorance of these things, but would Open webOS contain gesture area support? (Does webOS CE?)

-OM
    I have a touchpad, but its the phones I care about since its what I use the most.

My pre2 two is fine, just about the only thing I need is browser improvements to where I can read any webiste. Try reading some websites especially forums and it can't be done not even in landscape
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    WebOS 2 wasn't released for the Pre, WebOS 3 wasn't released for the Pre, so it's hard to imagine that Open WebOS would be compatible with the Pre.

Other than the TouchPad, there are a limited number of Pre 2s, Veers and Pre 3s in the marketplace and WebOS 3 wasn't released for those models.

It will most likely be for the Touchpad. Hopefully they will port it to a phone to showcase it 's mobile capabilities.
    Limited number of Pre 2's? The Pre 2 has more users than the Veers and Pre 3s. Also, the Pre 3 may not have webOS 3 but the Pre 3 does have Enyo (any other webOS phone does not have Enyo). Enyo is the toolkit used in webOS 3 and Enyo apps run well on the Pre 3. So I guess it wouldn't be much of a hassle to port OpenWebOS to the Pre 3 at least.

webOS 2.1.0 was release for the Palm Pre (on O2 and SFR, and meta-doctor scripts available to make it work on any carrier).

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

There is also an unofficial webOS 2.1.0 for Pixi/PixiPlus which might be used with the code (recompiled for ArmV6) to enhance that...

webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!

webOS 3.x was only release for Touchpad, Touchpad AT&T 3G, and Touchpad Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottermatic View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance of these things, but would Open webOS contain gesture area support? (Does webOS CE?)

-OM
    webOS CE is webOS 3.0.5 code released to the public, as webOS 3.x was for the Touchpad I would assume no, but only LunaSysMgr was released so far...

https://github.com/woce

Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Limited number of Pre 2's? The Pre 2 has more users than the Veers and Pre 3s. Also, the Pre 3 may not have webOS 3 but the Pre 3 does have Enyo (any other webOS phone does not have Enyo). Enyo is the toolkit used in webOS 3 and Enyo apps run well on the Pre 3. So I guess it wouldn't be much of a hassle to port OpenWebOS to the Pre 3 at least.
    ENYO 1.0, was released to all phones now, provided someone installs the BING MAPS or uses PREWARE to install the ENYO modules...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 06/28/2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Limited number of Pre 2's? The Pre 2 has more users than the Veers and Pre 3s.
    Where? Here in Europe, the Pre2 was sold nowhere except IIRC in Britain.

Also, the Pre 3 may not have webOS 3 but the Pre 3 does have Enyo (any other webOS phone does not have Enyo). ....
    My Pre+ had Enyo. It was installed via Bing Maps.
    I presume you are talking of Enyo 2?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    @John Yes, but the Pre 3 has full Enyo support while the older Pre's have only partial Enyo support (some modules are missing on the older devices).
    @John Yes, but the Pre 3 has full Enyo support while the older Pre's have only partial Enyo support (some modules are missing on the older devices).
    I have a Verizon Pre3, Pre2, PrePlus, PixiPlus, AT&T Veer, and WiFi Touchpad.

All have enyo 1.0 all have the same modules under the /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework...

Now the Pre3 does have a different mojo framework to handle the newer screen resolution 1.5 vs the 1.0, as does the Touchpad as if you run a legacy mojo app it frames it into a pre/pre2 screen window.

But according to diff (utility) Enyo 1.0 is Enyo 1.0, now if one compares the bing enyo to the pre2 enyo there are two files different Only in bingenyo/build/resources: es_mx.json and Only in pre2enyo/lib/syncui: css. Comparing the Verizon Pre3 there are different country files (Verizon Enyo only has ES and EN), where Pre2/Bing have all country files.

If there are modules you have discovered that are part of Enyo but not part of the Enyo framework bits I would love to know.

My (admittedly limited so far) understanding is that webOS 3.x was akin to Android's Honeycomb release... In that it skipped over phones and was just for tablets when released... So no 2.x upgrades available.

But - as with Android's Ice Cream Sandwich, why could there not be a confluence of the two (Gingerbread + Honeycomb = ICS supporting tablets and phones) for webOS so that 2.x + 3.x = Open Source webOS supporting phones and tablets???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Yes there are a limited number of Pre 2s. It was manufactured for about 6 months and then the plug was pulled on all WebOS devices. It was not a big seller.
    Yes there are a limited number of Pre 2s. It was manufactured for about 6 months and then the plug was pulled on all WebOS devices. It was not a big seller.

are you trying to say there are more pre3 and Veer than there are pre2s

I wouldn't agree with that
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    are you trying to say there are more pre3 and Veer than there are pre2s

I wouldn't agree with that
    I am not saying that. I am pointing out that WebOS 3 was not released for any of those phones including the Pre or Pre plus.
    Technically the Pre2 was manufactured for over 2 years. Seeing as how there were Sprint test devices being used prior to Pixi launch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    my pre2 has enyo
  20.    #20  
    Is there anyone from WebOS Internals who might know the answer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast