webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Will Open WebOS actually be installable on a Pre?
Will Open WebOS actually be installable on a Pre?
Like Tree8Likes

Old 06/27/2012, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is open WebOS only for newer devices?
6tr6tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I vote no. The only devices that should be touch are the TouchPad, Veer, Pre3 and MAYBE the Pre2.

Pres and Pixis I would imagine become low priority simply because of the outdated hardware.
Accessories
-5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
bnceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 06/27/2012, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

the op was asking a technical/factual question (that's a good one) I don't really see the need to vote your opinion.
poppeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by 6tr6tr, HelmutsKohl and SnotBoogie like this.
Old 06/27/2012, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I would hazard a guess that TP gets the first "official" update and 2.x phones soon after...

Just a gut feeling.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

If this is anything like Android development, it could be ported to the Pre-. "Could" is the key word. Will it? It depends if a developer wants to port it. But it will probably not run well. The G1 can still run the latest version of Android, but only because someone ported it and it isn't as good as it's meant to be. We'll have to see how things work out.
Armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

WebOS 2 wasn't released for the Pre, WebOS 3 wasn't released for the Pre, so it's hard to imagine that Open WebOS would be compatible with the Pre.

Other than the TouchPad, there are a limited number of Pre 2s, Veers and Pre 3s in the marketplace and WebOS 3 wasn't released for those models.

It will most likely be for the Touchpad. Hopefully they will port it to a phone to showcase it 's mobile capabilities.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 04:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Please pardon my ignorance of these things, but would Open webOS contain gesture area support? (Does webOS CE?)

-OM
Ottermatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a touchpad, but its the phones I care about since its what I use the most.

My pre2 two is fine, just about the only thing I need is browser improvements to where I can read any webiste. Try reading some websites especially forums and it can't be done not even in landscape
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
WebOS 2 wasn't released for the Pre, WebOS 3 wasn't released for the Pre, so it's hard to imagine that Open WebOS would be compatible with the Pre.

Other than the TouchPad, there are a limited number of Pre 2s, Veers and Pre 3s in the marketplace and WebOS 3 wasn't released for those models.

It will most likely be for the Touchpad. Hopefully they will port it to a phone to showcase it 's mobile capabilities.
Limited number of Pre 2's? The Pre 2 has more users than the Veers and Pre 3s. Also, the Pre 3 may not have webOS 3 but the Pre 3 does have Enyo (any other webOS phone does not have Enyo). Enyo is the toolkit used in webOS 3 and Enyo apps run well on the Pre 3. So I guess it wouldn't be much of a hassle to port OpenWebOS to the Pre 3 at least.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

webOS 2.1.0 was release for the Palm Pre (on O2 and SFR, and meta-doctor scripts available to make it work on any carrier).

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

There is also an unofficial webOS 2.1.0 for Pixi/PixiPlus which might be used with the code (recompiled for ArmV6) to enhance that...

webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!

webOS 3.x was only release for Touchpad, Touchpad AT&T 3G, and Touchpad Go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottermatic View Post
Please pardon my ignorance of these things, but would Open webOS contain gesture area support? (Does webOS CE?)

-OM
webOS CE is webOS 3.0.5 code released to the public, as webOS 3.x was for the Touchpad I would assume no, but only LunaSysMgr was released so far...

https://github.com/woce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Limited number of Pre 2's? The Pre 2 has more users than the Veers and Pre 3s. Also, the Pre 3 may not have webOS 3 but the Pre 3 does have Enyo (any other webOS phone does not have Enyo). Enyo is the toolkit used in webOS 3 and Enyo apps run well on the Pre 3. So I guess it wouldn't be much of a hassle to port OpenWebOS to the Pre 3 at least.
ENYO 1.0, was released to all phones now, provided someone installs the BING MAPS or uses PREWARE to install the ENYO modules...

Last edited by John Steffes; 06/28/2012 at 07:43 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Limited number of Pre 2's? The Pre 2 has more users than the Veers and Pre 3s.
Where? Here in Europe, the Pre2 was sold nowhere except IIRC in Britain.

Quote:
Also, the Pre 3 may not have webOS 3 but the Pre 3 does have Enyo (any other webOS phone does not have Enyo). ....
My Pre+ had Enyo. It was installed via Bing Maps.
I presume you are talking of Enyo 2?
Old 06/28/2012, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@John Yes, but the Pre 3 has full Enyo support while the older Pre's have only partial Enyo support (some modules are missing on the older devices).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
@John Yes, but the Pre 3 has full Enyo support while the older Pre's have only partial Enyo support (some modules are missing on the older devices).
I have a Verizon Pre3, Pre2, PrePlus, PixiPlus, AT&T Veer, and WiFi Touchpad.

All have enyo 1.0 all have the same modules under the /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework...

Now the Pre3 does have a different mojo framework to handle the newer screen resolution 1.5 vs the 1.0, as does the Touchpad as if you run a legacy mojo app it frames it into a pre/pre2 screen window.

But according to diff (utility) Enyo 1.0 is Enyo 1.0, now if one compares the bing enyo to the pre2 enyo there are two files different Only in bingenyo/build/resources: es_mx.json and Only in pre2enyo/lib/syncui: css. Comparing the Verizon Pre3 there are different country files (Verizon Enyo only has ES and EN), where Pre2/Bing have all country files.

If there are modules you have discovered that are part of Enyo but not part of the Enyo framework bits I would love to know.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

My (admittedly limited so far) understanding is that webOS 3.x was akin to Android's Honeycomb release... In that it skipped over phones and was just for tablets when released... So no 2.x upgrades available.

But - as with Android's Ice Cream Sandwich, why could there not be a confluence of the two (Gingerbread + Honeycomb = ICS supporting tablets and phones) for webOS so that 2.x + 3.x = Open Source webOS supporting phones and tablets???

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes there are a limited number of Pre 2s. It was manufactured for about 6 months and then the plug was pulled on all WebOS devices. It was not a big seller.
Old 06/28/2012, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes there are a limited number of Pre 2s. It was manufactured for about 6 months and then the plug was pulled on all WebOS devices. It was not a big seller.

are you trying to say there are more pre3 and Veer than there are pre2s

I wouldn't agree with that
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 06/28/2012, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
are you trying to say there are more pre3 and Veer than there are pre2s

I wouldn't agree with that
I am not saying that. I am pointing out that WebOS 3 was not released for any of those phones including the Pre or Pre plus.
Old 06/28/2012, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Technically the Pre2 was manufactured for over 2 years. Seeing as how there were Sprint test devices being used prior to Pixi launch.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 06/28/2012, 01:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
my pre2 has enyo
gach87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Is there anyone from WebOS Internals who might know the answer?
6tr6tr is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0