webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS June Update - Community Edition released!
Open webOS June Update - Community Edition released!
Like Tree37Likes

Old 06/26/2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

From the blog:

Quote:
Back in March we announced that we would make available additional components from the current release of webOS for the TouchPad. To distinguish this code from the Open webOS project, we’re calling these components the “Community Edition”.

Today we’re pleased to share the “Community Edition” code.

We have been working closely with WebOS Internals to bring this to fruition. WebOS Internals has set up a dedicated team for providing support for legacy TouchPad devices using the webOS Community Edition release. Going forward they also plan to support Open webOS 1.0 on well-documented mobile devices with readily available hardware drivers. The WebOS Internals team is called WebOS Ports and is led by Tom King (ka6sox).

With the release of the webOS Community Edition you can now learn how the TouchPad works, modify your TouchPad experience and then apply that learning to Open webOS 1.0 in the future. We are excited to empower the community to create custom user experiences on the TouchPad. For example, developers can now modify the card view, launcher, notifications, Just Type and more.

The Community Edition is focused on supporting the TouchPad. By contrast, the Open webOS 1.0 release planned for September includes modernized technologies to better enable the community to port webOS to the hardware of their choice, and to integrate open source technologies in areas such as BlueZ bluetooth and GStreamer. No matter which aspect of the platform you care about, webOS will provide options for you. The source code can be found here.

Finally, a quick update on our sister open source project Enyo, the cross-platform JavaScript framework for app development. Enyo has come a long way lately. An overview of the latest release was published earlier this month on the Enyo blog, and we had a very successful showing at the O’Reilly Fluent conference in San Francisco. Enyo was very well received by enthusiastic developers. We were also busy promoting Enyo’s capabilities at HP Discover in Las Vegas, which was attended by over 10,000 CIO’s and HP customers.

We are planning a busy month for July, where we will be attending Spain.js in Madrid, GothamJS in New York City, Open Web Camp in San Jose, Throne of JS in Toronto, OSCON and PhoneGap Day in Portland. And, we’ll be doing all this while also preparing our July deliverables.

We continue to see great progress on all things webOS and are marching forward in meeting our milestones for the 1.0 release.

Hope to see you at one of these events!

Source:
http://blog.openwebosproject.org/pos...ition-released

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LocoTreoGurl, Rnp, xandros9 and 9 others like this.
Old 06/26/2012, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, modify the card view. Its not very useful on touchpad compared to phone, bigger than they need to be
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

I am so hoping this results in being able to flip through cards with swipe from side bezel!!!!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Thanked By: amrcc
Old 06/26/2012, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

something important to keep in mind, from the webOS-Ports side of the announcement

Quote:
Our ETA Philosophy

We believe that it is best if we focus on working on the code rather than giving ETAs to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy.

We also believe that with any porting effort there will be bumps, roadblocks and even bridges washed out that are insurmountable.

Therefore:

We will not give ETAs for anything we are working on.

We will not comment on what projects we are working on till they work (or have been proven to not be currently feasible)

Once we are finished with a port or have found it not currently feasible then we will publish all our findings so others can recreate or push forward with the work we have already done.

ETA - WebOS-Ports
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

It does not cease to amaze me how dedicated and talented the webosinternals team is, I would like to buy them at least a good cold beer, speaking of... where is the donate button!
zubiaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

So is open webos 1.0 where get to modify the phone? My with list : option for where new card loads, ability to move entire stack, maybe speed scrolling.
Old 06/26/2012, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Donation to webos internal is easy to to. Also purchase some of their apps would help, lets all pitch in
Liked by kataran likes this.
Thanked By: zubiaur
Old 06/26/2012, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubiaur View Post
It does not cease to amaze me how dedicated and talented the webosinternals team is, I would like to buy them at least a good cold beer, speaking of... where is the donate button!
http://donate.webos-internals.org/ donate.webos-internals.org

And show http://bit.ly/phd-ac to anyone who has a TouchPad and does not already have Preware installed, so they can prepare for future webOS CE package releases...

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LocoTreoGurl, Rnp, retroblu and 6 others like this.
Old 06/26/2012, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just donated. Thank you dear webos-internals for making the years of using webos a rockin experience!

Hopefully soon I can contribute some code myself.
efiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 and kataran like this.
Old 06/26/2012, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

i smell back swipe...coming soon
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

and flick side cards away...
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Does anyone have instructions on how to install this on an HP TouchPad today?
zackawee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Features I'm looking forward to:

1. Swipe from the sides to switch between cards (edit: I mean a switch to left/right card gesture when an app is maximized)

2. Wave launcher

3. Power swipe as a universal gesture

4. A former feature on webOS phones that when tapping below a card, it further minimizes opened cards into a row where you can scroll horizontally for faster navigation between opened cards.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by matchqq; 06/26/2012 at 11:26 PM.
matchqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
Do you have a particular reason to do htaht?
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2012, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
Quote:
Today we’re pleased to share the “Community Edition” code.
Key word in there is code. There isn't an actual "version" to install.
Old 06/26/2012, 10:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
Features I'm looking forward to:

1. Swipe from the sides to switch between cards

2. Wave launcher

3. Power swipe as a universal gesture

4. A former feature on webOS phones that when tapping below a card, it further minimizes opened cards into a row where you can scroll horizontally for faster navigation between opened cards.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Talking about features for the WebOS cards, I will love to see these features for the future of WebOS:

* Support for the next-generation of multitasking for WebOS. Originally when the users have cards open, you still have to scroll through one by one. How about implementing a way for a two finger swipe gesture that could enable to give a preview of all your apps into one single view. Similar fashion like Mac OS X "Mission control" which used to be called spaces or expose.

* Voice-Control built into WebOS along with ability to use it with its synergy capabilities. And with the easiness that Voice Dialing was brought to WebOS 2.1, that shouldn't be such a difficult obstacle.

* Ability to create folders like iOS operating system to organize/categorize apps more easily.

* Samsung brought to their tablets of Galaxy Tabs what they call "Mini Apps Tray". It's a built in option that allows users to gain access to apps that were built into the OS, things like people commonly used on their tablets e.g Calendar, Clock, Memo, calculator etc. When the app is pulled up it appears as an overlay atop the screen, any apps previously on the screen will remain open below the MiniApp.
Attached Images
File Type: png Samsung's miniApps-Tray.png (181.5 KB, 66 views) Email Attachment
Old 06/26/2012, 10:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Some kind mini card view would be nice, no two finger swipe please.
Old 06/26/2012, 11:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, I don't know if they opensourced that already, but the bluetooth-stack is kind of unreliable ... especially on the phones.
noradtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 03:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

I don't know if that question has been asked before somewhere, but I dare ask it anyways:

How is software compatibility from actual WebOS to openWebOS (and of course to the Community Edition as well) going to be?
Do the app devs have to rewrite their apps?

Because the availability of apps is always a critical factor for an OS to be successful...
Old 06/27/2012, 03:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
How is software compatibility from actual WebOS to openWebOS (and of course to the Community Edition as well) going to be?
I guess maintaining compatibility is pretty high up in the priority list.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0