webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS June Update - Community Edition released!
Open webOS June Update - Community Edition released!
Like Tree37Likes

Old 06/27/2012, 07:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

I just want the audio bugs in the pre 3 and the touchpad to be fixed
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by LocoTreoGurl and blackfireball5 like this.
Old 06/27/2012, 08:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

<quote deleted>

No software was released, only the code. What happens with the code, is up to those that know how to implement it, so in answer to your question, no it isn't.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/28/2012 at 12:39 PM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 12:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

HMMMMM just got to thinking... webOS CE + ACL would be pretty awesome, give me those couple of apps it would be nice to have and a nice customized OS I'll be a happy man!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 01:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
HMMMMM just got to thinking... webOS CE + ACL would be pretty awesome, give me those couple of apps it would be nice to have and a nice customized OS I'll be a happy man!
and there was much rejoycing.

but yeah seriously im happy so long as 1 of the first working things we get is bluetooth support so i dont remain an utter fool in the eyes of ios/android users that i just cant beam a wallpaper/ringtone etc to, its probably the biggest and onyl major gripe i have, i can live with pretty much any other issue np.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc likes this.
Old 06/27/2012, 01:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

<quote deleted>

but at least its out there, even in bugridden form at least people will be striving to fix those issues over time, potentially multiple teams/individuals who can iron out and expand on what HP/Palm couldnt do, esp in their current post leo situation.

There is potentially the situation where some of the best/better apps homebrewers use could end up with significantly better integration with the OS, im looking at the likes of.....

Better Browser Boltins (numerous patches already to integrate with other apps, twitter/glimpse/etc sharing)
Datajog / Sendtowebos
Project Macaw or similar
Dropbox Integration/Synergy rather than a standalone app.
An RDP/VNC app as standard. (first major thing most people wanted on a touchpad)
Real Bluetooth instead of Walled in WebOS only bluetooth.
Real Bluetooth yet again which would make UbuntuChroot much better for BT Mice etc (unless some legend can get HP's WiFi mouse drivers working on linux instead of win7 only).

etc etc blah and so on

the possabilities are endless, and im getting overly moist thinking of more nice but unlikely dream additions, of that list yeah its basically bluetooth im excited about.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/28/2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: original quoted post was deleted
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 06/27/2012, 04:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

From the front page comments....

Posted by ka6sox on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 7:25 pm EDT

the github for the community edition support: https://github.com/woce
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 06/28/2012, 02:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
I am so hoping this results in being able to flip through cards with swipe from side bezel!!!!
Well what do we have here?

It's OFFICIAL: webOS CE brings side swiping to switch cards!!!!!

Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 06/28/2012, 05:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Yeah, modify the card view. Its not very useful on touchpad compared to phone, bigger than they need to be
I believe there's a patch that actually -increases- the size of the cards, or at least there was back in 3.0.2, when i was playing with every patch that came across.

Quote:
I am so hoping this results in being able to flip through cards with swipe from side bezel!!!!
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: flows
Old 06/29/2012, 10:14 AM   #29 (permalink)

so is WOCE actually installable right now?
drahgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 10:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
so is WOCE actually installable right now?
No, the only thing that was released was source code. It is up to developers to take that code, and alter it as they wish, most likely in the form of patches.
Old 07/02/2012, 12:54 AM   #31 (permalink)

Ok, I understood, that WOCE is atm just open code and not an installable update.

How big are the chances, that there might be some Doctor file or patches that enables us "Linux challenged" people to install all these fine new thingamatchoos??
Old 07/02/2012, 04:35 AM   #32 (permalink)

I guess we'll need to be patient and *hopefully*? nice patches will be available through preware?

Must admit, looking at the latest video, where the browsing is incredibly fast, there's more than one person interested to see how that is done... the speed of the web browser is one of the things which keeps pursuading me to flip over to android, despite having it under-clocked to extend the battery life... (and it's still faster browsing)

Cheers

Carl.
carlbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2012, 05:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post
I guess we'll need to be patient and *hopefully*? nice patches will be available through preware?

Must admit, looking at the latest video, where the browsing is incredibly fast, there's more than one person interested to see how that is done... the speed of the web browser is one of the things which keeps pursuading me to flip over to android, despite having it under-clocked to extend the battery life... (and it's still faster browsing)

Cheers

Carl.
Maybe WebKit was updated to a more recent version somehow that gives better performance?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 likes this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 07/02/2012, 09:52 AM   #34 (permalink)

I like your "Maybe"s
Old 07/02/2012, 09:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

I know its nice to get lots of new 'bells and whistles', but its just as valid to improve the basics :-)

Saying that - I'm looking forward for a fix for the sound going gaga problem... - ahhhh (he says looking whistfully at the screen... )
carlbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2012, 10:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

oh i wish they had made a community release for the 2.x branch for phones, but i know the installbase (interest) is much higher on the touchpad version. *sad panda*
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 07/02/2012, 10:54 PM   #37 (permalink)

Oh how I wish someone would look into why PDK apps are broken in woce. The bells and whistles are nice, but if you use a PDK app you have to stick with 3.0.5...
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2012, 05:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Be patient, there are people who are looking into that stuff. We've got a fairly sizeable volume of code here now, and very few of us that are messing with it, have any experience with the internals of it before. My guess is that there aren't a whole ton of former Palm engineers that are particularly interested in it, although I could be wrong .. if I were a former Palm engineer, I'd probably have a grudge.

So, it takes time to figure out how it works. Even to experienced programmers, often looking at a brand new rather sizeable amount of code, we don't have a built-in understanding of it all, but the experience does help us deciper it faster.

I know someone was trying to track down how the PDK apps interface to the system a few hours ago, but I don't know how far he got towards figuring out where the breakage might be. That'd be a lot easier if we could see what's different between this and 3.0.5!!
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0