Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1.    #1  
    WebOS Internals ‏@webosinternals

My list of touchstone-compatible devices: Pixi/Pre/+/2/3/Veer/TP/TPGo/NexS/GNex/L800. Wonder which of them will run openWebOS Ö

2:09 AM - 22 Jun 12 via Adium ∑ Details

Woot!
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/22/2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: thread title updated to clarify
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I don't see they say that they're picking devices to work on porting open webOS from this tweet. I only see they say that they wonder which devices will be available to run open webOS...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Here's the quick Wiki post from the webOS Internals team announcing their direction with this:

Main Page - WebOS-Ports
    That's a list of devices modded for touchstones...

The link above is a note announcing: "Moving forward to well-documented mobile devices with
    readily available hardware drivers using the Open webOS 1.0 release."

I'd think that part in parcel in looking for future hardware is to look (ideally) for those that can also be adapted to TouchStone use (not a necessity - but a feature).
    The intersection of those two sets is not empty, but is also not equivalent to the union of those two sets (or either one of the two sets in fact).

-- Rod
    Who was that masked man? Gottlob Frege?
    (Rod's comment gave me a flashback to my Psych class in college )
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I thought about math, and how much I would not want to repeat those courses.

Baby-making would be my psych interpretation of the above.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The intersection of those two sets is not empty, but is also not equivalent to the union of those two sets (or either one of the two sets in fact).

-- Rod
    understood from the inquiry posed in the tweet as one of the likely possibilities and appreciate your added clarification. If I read it correctly, you are not only adding that not all the devices listed in the tweet are being chosen for open webos but also that one or more of the open webos devices are not modded by your group to also include touchstone compatibility. OK to wait to hear all details, its enough now to know we have some hardware choices to look forward to and arenot confined to reading front page stories about planned hardware which was never releasex.
    Kinda waiting on a definitive statement about ports before buying a new handset, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    Kinda waiting on a definitive statement about ports before buying a new handset, honestly.
    And that is exactly the reason why such statements are not being made.

Until Open webOS is actually released, and attempts at porting it are made, we have no way of knowing whether such ports will be successful or not.

So we don't want people making purchasing decisions based on what can only be purely speculative statements at this point in time.

-- Rod
    ...So we don't want people making purchasing decisions based on what can only be purely speculative statements at this point in time...
    So... I should return the Smart Toaster I purchased on rumor of it being ready to port to???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    So... I should return the Smart Toaster I purchased on rumor of it being ready to port to???
    I ran across one of those throwaway ink jet printers on Taobao. It's an HP Deskjet running webOS and must have been a prototype. Problem is the cost of shipping it to the USA is more than its worth since its description claims its prone to paper jams and its ink jets are clogged with dried up ink. ...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    OldSkoolVWLover and gbp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I ran across one of those throwaway ink jet printers on Taobao. It's an HP Deskjet running webOS and must have been a prototype. Problem is the cost of shipping it to the USA is more than its worth since its description claims its prone to paper jams and its ink jets are clogged with dried up ink. ...
    So long as it heats up enough to toast bread it would be worth it.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

So we don't want people making purchasing decisions based on what can only be purely speculative statements at this point in time.

-- Rod
    You should consider porting it to a device most people already own, the PC. The WebOS community would experience a population explosion providing resources and support for future development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    You should consider porting it to a device most people already own, the PC. The WebOS community would experience a population explosion providing resources and support for future development.
    PC would probably be easier to work on (open source drivers and such), but what about the interface? It's all touch driven, so scrollers and other elements would have to be added, plus higher DPI interfaces that doesn't look out of place. Not sure if considering interface work if making a PC build would be faster than a mobile build.
    Do we know if the 3.3 kernel for Open webOS will only work on ARM architecture only or will it also work on x86?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Do we know if the 3.3 kernel for Open webOS will only work on ARM architecture only or will it also work on x86?
    The linux kernel is compiled, if one alters the makefile it can be compiled to that modification...

So yes it can be compiled to any chip set provided one alters the configuration.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    PC would probably be easier to work on (open source drivers and such), but what about the interface? It's all touch driven, so scrollers and other elements would have to be added, plus higher DPI interfaces that doesn't look out of place. Not sure if considering interface work if making a PC build would be faster than a mobile build.
    I would consider buying a TouchSmart PC for my office if this actually happened... Still would be a great OS for an Auto-PC

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The linux kernel is compiled, if one alters the makefile it can be compiled to that modification...

So yes it can be compiled to any chip set provided one alters the configuration.
    I'm telling you webOSuntu!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Bottom line: When you tell me what device(s) it will work on, I will be going to great lengths to get one and put webOS on it. Just help a simple guy by making it not too hard to do... :-)
    RumoredNow likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast