webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Its Begun! WebOS Internals picks devices for openWebOS install!
Its Begun! WebOS Internals picks devices for openWebOS install!
Like Tree26Likes

Old 06/22/2012, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

WebOS Internals ‏@webosinternals

My list of touchstone-compatible devices: Pixi/Pre/+/2/3/Veer/TP/TPGo/NexS/GNex/L800. Wonder which of them will run openWebOS Ö

2:09 AM - 22 Jun 12 via Adium ∑ Details

Woot!

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/22/2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: thread title updated to clarify
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: CGK
Old 06/22/2012, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't see they say that they're picking devices to work on porting open webOS from this tweet. I only see they say that they wonder which devices will be available to run open webOS...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
matchqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's the quick Wiki post from the webOS Internals team announcing their direction with this:

Main Page - WebOS-Ports

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2012, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's a list of devices modded for touchstones...

Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2012, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

The link above is a note announcing: "Moving forward to well-documented mobile devices with
readily available hardware drivers using the Open webOS 1.0 release."

I'd think that part in parcel in looking for future hardware is to look (ideally) for those that can also be adapted to TouchStone use (not a necessity - but a feature).

Old 07/04/2012, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Developer

The intersection of those two sets is not empty, but is also not equivalent to the union of those two sets (or either one of the two sets in fact).

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, TopTongueBarry, Rnp and 7 others like this.
Old 07/04/2012, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Who was that masked man? Gottlob Frege?
(Rod's comment gave me a flashback to my Psych class in college )

Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 07/04/2012, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I thought about math, and how much I would not want to repeat those courses.

Baby-making would be my psych interpretation of the above.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2012, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
The intersection of those two sets is not empty, but is also not equivalent to the union of those two sets (or either one of the two sets in fact).

-- Rod
understood from the inquiry posed in the tweet as one of the likely possibilities and appreciate your added clarification. If I read it correctly, you are not only adding that not all the devices listed in the tweet are being chosen for open webos but also that one or more of the open webos devices are not modded by your group to also include touchstone compatibility. OK to wait to hear all details, its enough now to know we have some hardware choices to look forward to and arenot confined to reading front page stories about planned hardware which was never releasex.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2012, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kinda waiting on a definitive statement about ports before buying a new handset, honestly.

Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2012, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
Kinda waiting on a definitive statement about ports before buying a new handset, honestly.
And that is exactly the reason why such statements are not being made.

Until Open webOS is actually released, and attempts at porting it are made, we have no way of knowing whether such ports will be successful or not.

So we don't want people making purchasing decisions based on what can only be purely speculative statements at this point in time.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, gbp, HelloNNNewman and 5 others like this.
Old 07/06/2012, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
...So we don't want people making purchasing decisions based on what can only be purely speculative statements at this point in time...
So... I should return the Smart Toaster I purchased on rumor of it being ready to port to???

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rennat, bushi.mich, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
Thanked by Rennat, Vistaus
Old 07/22/2012, 09:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
So... I should return the Smart Toaster I purchased on rumor of it being ready to port to???
I ran across one of those throwaway ink jet printers on Taobao. It's an HP Deskjet running webOS and must have been a prototype. Problem is the cost of shipping it to the USA is more than its worth since its description claims its prone to paper jams and its ink jets are clogged with dried up ink. ...
Liked by gbp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/22/2012, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I ran across one of those throwaway ink jet printers on Taobao. It's an HP Deskjet running webOS and must have been a prototype. Problem is the cost of shipping it to the USA is more than its worth since its description claims its prone to paper jams and its ink jets are clogged with dried up ink. ...
So long as it heats up enough to toast bread it would be worth it.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

So we don't want people making purchasing decisions based on what can only be purely speculative statements at this point in time.

-- Rod
You should consider porting it to a device most people already own, the PC. The WebOS community would experience a population explosion providing resources and support for future development.
Peppy431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
You should consider porting it to a device most people already own, the PC. The WebOS community would experience a population explosion providing resources and support for future development.
PC would probably be easier to work on (open source drivers and such), but what about the interface? It's all touch driven, so scrollers and other elements would have to be added, plus higher DPI interfaces that doesn't look out of place. Not sure if considering interface work if making a PC build would be faster than a mobile build.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Do we know if the 3.3 kernel for Open webOS will only work on ARM architecture only or will it also work on x86?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Do we know if the 3.3 kernel for Open webOS will only work on ARM architecture only or will it also work on x86?
The linux kernel is compiled, if one alters the makefile it can be compiled to that modification...

So yes it can be compiled to any chip set provided one alters the configuration.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
PC would probably be easier to work on (open source drivers and such), but what about the interface? It's all touch driven, so scrollers and other elements would have to be added, plus higher DPI interfaces that doesn't look out of place. Not sure if considering interface work if making a PC build would be faster than a mobile build.
I would consider buying a TouchSmart PC for my office if this actually happened... Still would be a great OS for an Auto-PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
The linux kernel is compiled, if one alters the makefile it can be compiled to that modification...

So yes it can be compiled to any chip set provided one alters the configuration.
I'm telling you webOSuntu!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2012, 09:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Bottom line: When you tell me what device(s) it will work on, I will be going to great lengths to get one and put webOS on it. Just help a simple guy by making it not too hard to do... :-)
bigstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0