webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Will Open webOS ever come out?
Will Open webOS ever come out?
Like Tree5Likes

Old 06/13/2012, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

That Palm piece on The Verge certainly didn't make it sound good....
Old 06/13/2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

We'll know a little better around August/ September, I would think.
Old 06/13/2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

The official blog (I believe this was either written or reaffirmed in a separate statement), says they are still on target.
Since they have made their deadlines to date, I don't see a reason to doubt them, they are even hiring more people.
I'm not sure who said it was in doubt, but if it was quotes from people who recently left HP or not directly on the team, I would wait and see.

The Open webOS Project Blog
"1. We are still on target for the September release of Open webOS 1.0. and growing our relationship with the community, including our continued collaboration with the WebOS internals team. More news on that to follow next month. We were also delighted to be featured in LinuxPro magazine for the Isis browser we released last month. http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Isis-Browser-Code-Released"
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
That Palm piece on The Verge certainly didn't make it sound good....
The Verge article was about what happened, not really what is happening.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
The Verge article was about what happened, not really what is happening.
maybe he's thinking of that blog post by that former employee that was very doubtful. don't remember the guys name.
Old 06/13/2012, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

I don't want to start guessing and throwing out names that I think you are talking about, but pretty sure I know who you are talking about.

I never read the blog post (if it's the one I am thinking of), but if it is who I think it is, he's a good guy... just saying.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

its natural to be sceptical of anything HP says about webos, considering their track record. having said that, as bluenote has already stated, they have met their commitments on openwebos to date, so recent history would suggest they are still on track. I am (EXTREMELY) cautiously optimistic.
Old 06/15/2012, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
its natural to be sceptical of anything HP says about webos, considering their track record. having said that, as bluenote has already stated, they have met their commitments on openwebos to date, so recent history would suggest they are still on track. I am (EXTREMELY) cautiously optimistic.
Yes- seeing that the long planned release month is still 2 months away, it's a bit early to start worrying.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think the question is if the team can do it by the deadline, at this point. They seem to be capable of that if they can continue with the resources they have. The big question is if the rug is going to be yanked out from under them. Someone brought up the point that there are tax advantages to keeping the team active until July, when webOS reaches the 2 year mark under HP. After that date HP management may be planning to scrap the project, even if the team is completely unaware.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mafu6 likes this.
Old 06/15/2012, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post
I don't think the question is if the team can do it by the deadline, at this point. They seem to be capable of that if they can continue with the resources they have. The big question is if the rug is going to be yanked out from under them. Someone brought up the point that there are tax advantages to keeping the team active until July, when webOS reaches the 2 year mark under HP. After that date HP management may be planning to scrap the project, even if the team is completely unaware.
I think this recent story regarding Microsoft's plans for doing their own tablet should make HP think twice about doing that:
http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pal...-new-post.html
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have heard a rumour... i know i know its a rumour and have little fact but it does hold a little hope with me that LG have shown interest in Open webOS ...
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 06/15/2012, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
I have heard a rumour... i know i know its a rumour and have little fact but it does hold a little hope with me that LG have shown interest in Open webOS ...
Is your source from the press or from someone at HP or LG who might know?

You know, its weird that a few years ago we were hearing all those rumors about a Sprint Pre2 and just a few days ago webosnation confirmed that it did actually exist as early as a few months after sprint Pre1 was intro'd, just never received the light of day.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
To me, that is great good news and I hope it pans out... I've been trying to promote to the community that LG is exactly the type of hungry, but low market share, mobile OEM that has the corporate resources and multiproduct line revenue streams that could make a serious go of manufacturing and marketing Open Source webOS hardware...

Can you supply a link or give more information of any kind?

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Would be great if LG was interested, but the only place I've seen that rumor is via speculation on this very forum.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2012, 04:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Like i said it was only a rumour, the source was an Apparently former webOS employee...

Hopefully someone will take Open webOS on and make a go of it, but like it's been said many many times on this forum (and elsewhere) for Open webOS to succed that it needs something called Apps, yes we have many apps (no as many as are competitors).
Old 06/16/2012, 06:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

even if no1 does embrace it, its no big deal as long as us end users have the option to cram webos onto whatever devices the homebrew gods can port it to, the rest can do its thing via word of mouth, its worked ok in tne past for other devices and computers, the product just has to be interesting/open/safe enough to make others go "ooooooh shiney".

webos is already friendly in gui terms, again the benefit of ACL will help more, the newer enyo additions will again allow for more quality apps, all id want on top is a set of safety additions to make malware close to impossible, its the main reason i dispise many feature packed android apps.

fix bluetooth xfer issue and other webos gripes that make you feel ashamed when comparing to even archaic ios/symbian/android devices as well and no1 would resist recommending webos to friends/family.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2012, 03:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

I think it is a big deal if no1 embraces it. Yes we have by far the best community here but if you want new hardware, (Are Pre 3 and touchpads wont las forever) then unfortunatly even the best community cant support new devices (unless one of us is an arabic prince with alot of spare $ or a russian oil millionaire).

Now i am aware that you will say, well we will have new hardware by porting across Open webOS, thats not the point. I wouldnt say the Touchpad was built for webOS but it works quite well.. I loved my Pre 2 and i currently love my Pre 3 and they work so well with webOS because they were built for it! Porting it across to a Nexus device (highly probable) will be nice but it wont work the same, the same as it should!

I'd prefer Open webOS to have it's own platform with its own hardware from some different OEMs.
Old 06/17/2012, 01:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Open WebOS will come out. What happens after that is the mystery.

As some are using Android on the Touchpad now, it seems unlikely (unless there is an app explosion) that people will want WebOS on their own non HP phones/tablets.

If it's just some $99 Touchpad buyers clamoring for this to tinker with, it's DOA.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2012, 02:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I think it is a big deal if no1 embraces it. Yes we have by far the best community here but if you want new hardware, (Are Pre 3 and touchpads wont las forever) then unfortunatly even the best community cant support new devices (unless one of us is an arabic prince with alot of spare $ or a russian oil millionaire).

Now i am aware that you will say, well we will have new hardware by porting across Open webOS, thats not the point. I wouldnt say the Touchpad was built for webOS but it works quite well.. I loved my Pre 2 and i currently love my Pre 3 and they work so well with webOS because they were built for it! Porting it across to a Nexus device (highly probable) will be nice but it wont work the same, the same as it should!

I'd prefer Open webOS to have it's own platform with its own hardware from some different OEMs.
the touchpad already doesnt work the way it should, webOS was stuffed into a previously planned/built android device which we now know as the touchpad, so not a lot would change (touchstone etc) tablet wise if ported to something/anything else.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2012, 05:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Since a lot of you have been asking, here's the relevant bit from The Verge's article:

"Last month, McNulty one of the last senior staff who'd been around for several product release cycles after the departures in January called it quits along with other key members of HP's Enyo team to go to Google. Sources tell us they'll head to the Chrome group, where they'll rub shoulders with many former co-workers including Luna architect Greg Simon. Of course, Android's Matias Duarte won't be far away, either.

"Now that McNulty's gone, I don't know who the hell is left," one source said. Entire departments in the webOS team are said to be empty or nearly empty. Though HP has never technically ruled out the possibility of making webOS hardware again, everyone we spoke to agreed that it no longer had the manpower to do so, even if it wanted to. A comeback would be "almost impossible," we were told.

And the software situation isn't much better: skepticism is high that the company will still be able to hit its target of September for Open webOS 1.0, particularly in the face of growing layoffs both inside Palm and throughout HP. Multiple sources tell us that there are specific tax benefits to keeping Palm "on the books" until July 1st, the second anniversary of the completion of HP's acquisition, and that Whitman could conceivably drop the axe shortly thereafter the internal roadmap apparently extends beyond that date, but as always, those plans are subject to change."

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0