webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Will Open webOS ever come out?
Will Open webOS ever come out?
Like Tree5Likes

Old 06/18/2012, 11:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Since a lot of you have been asking, here's the relevant bit from The Verge's article:

"Last month, McNulty one of the last senior staff who'd been around for several product release cycles after the departures in January called it quits along with other key members of HP's Enyo team to go to Google. Sources tell us they'll head to the Chrome group, where they'll rub shoulders with many former co-workers including Luna architect Greg Simon. Of course, Android's Matias Duarte won't be far away, either.

"Now that McNulty's gone, I don't know who the hell is left," one source said. Entire departments in the webOS team are said to be empty or nearly empty. Though HP has never technically ruled out the possibility of making webOS hardware again, everyone we spoke to agreed that it no longer had the manpower to do so, even if it wanted to. A comeback would be "almost impossible," we were told.

And the software situation isn't much better: skepticism is high that the company will still be able to hit its target of September for Open webOS 1.0, particularly in the face of growing layoffs both inside Palm and throughout HP. Multiple sources tell us that there are specific tax benefits to keeping Palm "on the books" until July 1st, the second anniversary of the completion of HP's acquisition, and that Whitman could conceivably drop the axe shortly thereafter the internal roadmap apparently extends beyond that date, but as always, those plans are subject to change."
You are confusing Enyo with webOS Open Source, these are two separate projects. Really not surprising to see a chunk of the Enyo team go to chrome. Most of the developers I know that have been using Enyo since open sourced, as part of their coding, have made ports for chrome of at least some of their Enyo apps.

With the way Palm employees have been treated since HP took over, I don't blame any of our friends for going with a more stable employer. I have been in similar situations and was one of the people that held on too long. They have to do what is best for them and their families.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2012, 12:02 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
You are confusing Enyo with webOS Open Source, these are two separate projects. Really not surprising to see a chunk of the Enyo team go to chrome. Most of the developers I know that have been using Enyo since open sourced, as part of their coding, have made ports for chrome of at least some of their Enyo apps.

With the way Palm employees have been treated since HP took over, I don't blame any of our friends for going with a more stable employer. I have been in similar situations and was one of the people that held on too long. They have to do what is best for them and their families.
perfect and understandable logic, but still painful to see from afar as a webos user/fan.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2012, 12:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Oh I fully agree, sad for sure.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2012, 08:21 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafu6 View Post
I have heard a rumour... i know i know its a rumour and have little fact but it does hold a little hope with me that LG have shown interest in Open webOS ...
the verge is reporting that LG is exiting the tablet business. This is the perfect time for openWebos to come out, while the OEMs are scrambling for a new tablet strategy after amazon dominates android and google rumored to announce its own tablet and now MSFT announcing Surface.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0