webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS still has a chance.
webOS still has a chance.
Like Tree17Likes

Old 06/12/2012, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

webOS still has a chance. (I want to share with you an article I wrote today. Keeping us positive if the best way to provide good ideas to the future of webOS)

In the years before the smartphones multitouch era initiated by Apple re- inventing the phone, there were a clear worlds smartphone market share between top two , Palm OS with the Treos and RIM with the Blackberries. The fight for the first spot was just between this two mobile giants.

After that, so proud of what they have done , none of them gave even a side eye to the reality of the smartphone market. It was 2006 the iPhone was rising its first version NO stylus NO physical keyboard. A phone to interact with you using your 5 fingers instead. Called a MULTITOUCH screen phone.

Google decided to enter the mobile and bought Android Inc in 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system) Google announced the first Android smartphone the T-Mobile G1. Year 2008, and with physical keyboard. Two years after the launch of the first iPhone.

February 2009 HTC Magic was the World's Second Android Phone with virtual keyboard. HTC Magic is the World's Second Android Phone - HotHardware

In June 2009 T-Mobile second Android phone was the My Touch 3G with a virtual keyboard and matching the iPhone 3GS. T-Mobile Will Drop Its Second Android Phone, The myTouch 3G, This August For $199. | TechCrunch

Palm waited 2,5 years to react after no one wanted the Treos anymore and launched the Palm Pre in June 6, 2009. The Palm foolishness in keeping making the Pre , Pre Plus.Pre 2 and Pre 3 as the Treos but sliders was a tremendous mistake. The only difference between the Treos and the Pres was the OS, the Treos with Palm OS of the touch era and the Pres webOS of the multitouch era.

I insist the foolishness of keeping the physical keyboard and not making an slate smartphone form factor hardware was a great failure.

It happens in marketing when you are blind and you don`t see what the consumer wants You can launch a 100 times a phone with the same form factor pattern and you are getting shot yourself (literally) a 100 times over and over again.

HP big marketing professional staff division did not see it coming , the team did not look the past and the present to project a better future.

However webOS had some bugs and issues on its first versions. Updates via OTA came several times and fixed them.

And the foolishness continued with the Touchpad, launching with less hardware features than the market, and HP was offering it at the same price . An inferior plastic shape look for the world best mobile OS, webOS. The results, the device was took away with a price drop to $99.- and the end of manufacturing webOS mobile devices, at all. August 2011.

webOS still has a chance.

webOS slate smartphone.

A company doesn`t need to launch several devices models to get a spot in the mobile market.

A slate smartphone with the latest hardware technology and a software with better and more features than the today competitors could bring out, is enough.

After all you will need a prototype to demo the webOS 1.0 open source to worldwide customers.

Make a market test and sell it online on yours and via retailers stores ,but unlocked to work with most carriers worldwide.

But remember consumers wanted and want high ended smartphones to make them use the 5 fingers on multi touch screens, at least most of them.

Apple continues to sue over and over again Samsung, HTC and any android who threat its market pie share. Apple is suing Samsung for old and new devices releases, and what ever it comes out and will not stop.

That is an advantage webOS will have in September 2012, when HP releases webOS open source 1.0. Samsung, HTC and android mobile makers devices will opt for an alternative to avoid these unlikely legal battles that don`t have an end.

Related post:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...n-go-them.html
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blackfireball5 and sq5 like this.
Old 06/12/2012, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
A slate smartphone with the latest hardware technology and a software with better and more features than the today competitors could bring out, is enough.
That's the hard part, isn't it?
My point is, features like a music store, iCloud like cloud integration, iOS' GameCenter and productivity apps like Pages won't happen overnight. So anyone who picks up Open webOS has to basically start from scratch in lot of areas to have better and more features than the competition.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
My point is, features like a music store, iCloud like cloud integration, iOS' GameCenter and productivity apps like Pages won't happen overnight.
yep. i mean if they could have done all that when they where throwing millions of dollars at stuff they would have. There was that recent article on the front page that pointed out that the touchpad had second teir components because Apple dominated the supply chain. They already bought up all the latest screens and latests cameras etc. One of the companies even said, "if you want displays build us a manufacturing plant." like that's what apple did for foxcon didn't they. And didn't they build someone a plant in Brazil. That stuff costs. like if you want the latest tech parts you're gonna pay through the nose if you can get them at all. I read today that that new ios map app with turn by turn navigation is apple cutting a deal with Tom-Tom to use Tom-Tom maps. Again that sort of stuff costs plenty. And if you want to go feature for feature with the top android and ios app that's a bunch of stuff.
Old 06/12/2012, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
My point is, features like a music store, iCloud like cloud integration, iOS' GameCenter and productivity apps like Pages won't happen overnight. So anyone who picks up Open webOS has to basically start from scratch in lot of areas to have better and more features than the competition.
Unless webOS is already there and we don`t know it yet. I remember it was originaly made for the web and was on its way to the cloud
Old 06/12/2012, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
yep. i mean if they could have done all that when they where throwing millions of dollars at stuff they would have. There was that recent article on the front page that pointed out that the touchpad had second teir components because Apple dominated the supply chain. They already bought up all the latest screens and latests cameras etc. One of the companies even said, "if you want displays build us a manufacturing plant." like that's what apple did for foxcon didn't they. And didn't they build someone a plant in Brazil. That stuff costs. like if you want the latest tech parts you're gonna pay through the nose if you can get them at all. I read today that that new ios map app with turn by turn navigation is apple cutting a deal with Tom-Tom to use Tom-Tom maps. Again that sort of stuff costs plenty. And if you want to go feature for feature with the top android and ios app that's a bunch of stuff.
That happened for tablets not smartphones
Old 06/12/2012, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
That happened for tablets not smartphones
it happened for the smartphones too
methods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Unless webOS is already there and we don`t know it yet. I remember it was originaly made for the web and was on its way to the cloud
This is a bargain basement effort, HP are not spending hundreds of millions in secret on an ecosystem.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

So all that has to happen is that a slate smartphone with the latest hardware technology and software with better and more features than the today competitors could bring out, is enough?

That's it? Easy peasy!

Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance' - YouTube
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stung View Post
So all that has to happen is that a slate smartphone with the latest hardware technology and software with better and more features than the today competitors could bring out, is enough?

That's it? Easy peasy!

Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance' - YouTube
No that easy ,stung, but everything is possible, all depends on the new brains developing webOS for a Sept ready.
Old 06/12/2012, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm just not a fan of slab phones.

I don't do well at swype even though people say try it, you'll like it... or... you'll get used to it. And my hunt and peck method on a virtual keyboard is so fraught with errors it's really quite laughable.

That was the thing I hated about Pocket PC and Palm devices. Granted my accuracy with a stylus is better, but it is still slow.

And it is a real estate issue. I want my screen to show... screen. Not half whatever I'm interacting with and half keyboard.

Slate is what's being bought - mostly because that's what is being pushed, IMHO. I think consumers sit back and let the OEMs drive the market too much.

I don't want a physical keyboard. I NEED a physical keyboard if I'm to be productive on a device. Honestly, the learning curve and amount of adjustment is so much less on any size/style physical keyboard than it is on a virtual one (in my experience). A smart phone is supposed to be a tool to enhance productivity. Lack of a physical qwerty hampers that tool's effectiveness.

My last 3 phones have all had physical qwerty keyboards going back about 6 years. Before that I was using dumb phones so it didn't matter.

The tablet I just got. No swype. I tried it and didn't like it. Now I have a split virtual keyboard for thumb typing and an M$ Arc keyboard for when I need to get some actual work done.

If slab is my only choice for Open webOS 1.X phones I'll be toughing it out with my Pre 2 thank you very much.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by circadia likes this.
Old 06/12/2012, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

I take a different view; I don't want to have to use a keyboard at all. Apple has the right idea with Siri... Keep the technology moving forward so that I can just talk to it and it understand me 99% of the time. That's a truly natural interface, and that's where we need to be heading...

To quote Mr. Scott: "Keyboard... How quaint!"
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie likes this.
Old 06/12/2012, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
I take a different view; I don't want to have to use a keyboard at all. Apple has the right idea with Siri... Keep the technology moving forward so that I can just talk to it and it understand me 99% of the time. That's a truly natural interface, and that's where we need to be heading...

There are huge amounts of time where talking to your device just isn't practical or socially acceptable. You can't take notes in a meeting by repeating what the speakers are saying, can you? Or walk the room holding the phone out to them in turn to speak into?

Would you ride on the bus or in the back seat of your coworker's car in your carpool dictating a love letter to your SO?

And background noise will always be a problem. People in manufacturing plants and construction sites need to interact with their devices.

LOL Siri famously can't understand a Scottish dialect and suggests the user practice United States English!

It just isn't there yet. And even if it were... I refuse to be that jag that can't stop talking at his device to the exclusion of the rest of his surroundings.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 06/12/2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: punctuation police pulled me over...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gihmley View Post

Honestly I find siri and voice command in general make me feel silly, and I will never do it in public, only to test it maybe.

Why can't it just know what I want it to do?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by bearda and RumoredNow like this.
Old 06/13/2012, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

No apps = no platform

Unless the open webOS project means that devs can simply port apps to webOS, there will never be an ecosystem, and thus no hope. Period. End of story. Because no one is going to devote time to build an app that won't make any return on investment.

Debbie Downer, I know, but it's wake-up time
jrsharp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 06/13/2012, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

There are some devs that have recently tweeted that they got a lot more money from their webOS apps than from their android apps (or even IOS).

Not so simple. I think we will get a lot more information on capabilities of openWebOS in the next 2-3 months as we see it, we will just have to wait.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 06/13/2012, 02:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
I know, but it's wake-up time
Yeah for how long already
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 04:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Not everyone needs so many applications.
All my family still use webOS phones and we also have some Iphones. I have an Ipad and a Touchpad.
My sister bought the Iphone 4s a month ago, the result? She brings her Pixi in a pocket and Iphone 4s in the other pocket. why? She writes a lot of emails and tweets.
She fails to adapt to IOS because the main use of the phone is for calendar, email, twitter and little else.
I feel the same, although I am webOS developer do not need more applications than I have.
For this type of work I think there is nothing, nothing like a webOS phone with keyboard and gesture area. How many people need just that? I think a lot more, but are not themselves conscious.
Does not always win the best product, but which has better sponsor and Google or Apple are the best technology for many people. They do not consider anything else.
I do not know if this can change but sometimes people get tired of sophisticated technology.
For people looking for an efficent, clean and beautiful system. The zen of Palm is still in webOS.
pitsop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bluenote likes this.
Old 06/13/2012, 05:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
So when driving using voice commands make you feel silly? I bet if webos had it you would say it was awesome. I don't have an iPhone but my friend just got one and i was impressed with Siri. All you do is put the phone to your ear and talk without having to press anything on the phone. It works so well so i don't understand why it would make you feel silly. There is no way to tell who you are speaking to.
No, I would not think its awesome. I know this because was excited to finally get voice dial on webOS and I used it about twice and forgot its there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 06/13/2012, 06:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Great post pitsop. My Pre2 is so perfect I am in no hurry to to get any new phone and I have all the apps I need. Too many cards error is a thing of the past. Totally in love.

Also, I agree about the physical keyboard. I have the virtual keyboard which I use for texting and just type and also use if I am in bed or something like that, but no doubt if I a writing an email I want to see screen.

Ps. Wanna see if I can change the minimum font size in the browser, that's it

Last edited by laingman; 06/13/2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06/13/2012, 09:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
No, I would not think its awesome. I know this because was excited to finally get voice dial on webOS and I used it about twice and forgot its there.

I wouldn't compare voice dial to siri. It's more akin to Just Type, er...Just Speak. It seemed like a gimmick at first, but it really does seem like the first step in reducing our depenency on typing. I don't see how anyone could knock siri, especially the webOS crowd. Obviously you wouldn't want to compose a private email/text in public, but that's why apple didn't ditch their virtual keyboard altogether.

I hope open webOS gets their own version of siri, and the ACL. That would be a good start in the comeback story...
Sylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0