webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > porting webos to the galaxy s3??
porting webos to the galaxy s3??
Like Tree3Likes

Old 06/11/2012, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

so the touchpad and s3 use a snapdragon processor... Anyone think it would be possible to put webos 3.0 on the galaxy s3????
scorpeo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh its possible. Just a matter for someone to see its worth in the long run. I think it would be cool IMO. I miss WebOS..

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
cgardnervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by duanedude1 likes this.
Old 06/14/2012, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm taking the plung and upgrading to the S3 before VZW cuts off unlimited data upgrades.

So here's hoping it happens!
OrionAntares#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

My hope is that with the webOS-Internals gang getting Android ICS hardware (think I read that here somewhere), that there will be a path for Galaxy hardware to get a dual boot option to webOS. I am liking what I am hearing about the Galaxy Note II (rumors) and maybe this is the one that Sprint will get. Would be awesome to be able to boot to webOS. My question is if the hardware was on the Sprint network, if someone came up with a dual boot to webOS, because it is Sprint hardware, would it work in webOS on Sprint? I am hopeful.
Old 07/10/2012, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
so the touchpad and s3 use a snapdragon processor. Anyone think it would be possible to put webos 3.0 on the galaxy s3????
A complete source tree/build environment isn't publicly available for webOS 3.x or webOS CE. Open webOS 1.0 would be a candidate.

I've been debating an International S3, but will probably keep using my Sprint Pre and unlocked Pre3 until Google releases a new Nexus phone.
Old 07/11/2012, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Technically speaking, there is not very much, that can't be done.
Financially speaking, there is much a lot that can't be afforded or won't earn profit.

So alltogether you can say, there's a lot more that can be DONE than there is to be AFFORDED

For me, WebOS on S3 would be a dream and I would buy such a device instantly.
I can dream, can't I?
Old 07/11/2012, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

As much as I love webOS, I wouldn't buy that overpriced S3 for it. S2 is good priced, S3 is overpriced.

I would buy a Motorola Razr (or Razr Maxx) thoug for it. Also an option to check out as the Razr and Razr Maxx are very popular.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2012, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

To butcher a phrase:

Give me physical QWERTY or give me constant cussing from stupid typos caused by virtual keyboards!!!

Galaxy S III just won't entice me for that reason alone.

I can NOT comprehend how many people bow down to ugly slab form factor.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2012, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Funny thing is that yesterday I tried to type on the Galaxy SIII with it's huge-*** screen. I failed. Well, let's say I got about 50% of the words right and about 50% not.
Then, I saw the Motorola Razr (for the first time) and tried to type on it. I had about 90% of the words right.

Funny how I got more words right on that 4" Motorola than on that 4.6" Galaxy SIII. Says a lot about the keyboard and screen quality lol.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2012, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
To butcher a phrase:

Give me physical QWERTY or give me constant cussing from stupid typos caused by virtual keyboards!!!

I know the slab form factor should only be used in 3.5" to 4" screens. Also The GS3 is a piece of knock off crap that has been stolen from the Prē series. And is also just .2" short of being another crap device the galaxy note.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blue duck butter likes this.
Old 09/09/2012, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
To butcher a phrase:

I thought the exact same thing about virtual keyboards and after a nice few months using the HPre3, I decided to follow Matias Duarte to Google and picked up the Galaxy Nexus.

I had trouble at first too, but then I discovered Swift Key 3. It's absolutely incredible as it learns my personal typing style and predicts words for me. I can now type almost double the speed I could on any of the Pre series phones and with fewer errors (and I was VERY fast and accurate on the Pre 2 and Pre3).

I'm now running my Nexus at 1.8ghz dual core, with overclocked GPU to 512mhz and Swift Key 3 and I can finally say the phone along with Jellybean is at least half as usable as webOS
blue duck butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 09/10/2012, 06:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
To butcher a phrase:

+1... I cannot stand software keyboards, my problem on my Kindle Fire is I type without lifting my fingers all the way off the screen, so it screws up the letters :/ to bad there aren't as many physical keyboard devices out there
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

[Rant]
Swype does not work for me... I tried. Everyone seems to love it. I can not make it work. Maybe because I'm old and learned to type on an honest to God typewriter. My option now on my Android tab is a split keyboard for thumb typing. That only works because the screen is 10". I still get plenty of typos.

My solution is a Msft Arc bluetooth keyboard.

I guess it doesn't matter too much if all you are going to type is: OMG CTNPOS ROTFLMAO.

I'm trying to be productive on my devices, not a social media butterfly textaholic twitbook terfacer MMSing pics of my behind to weirdos met in chat rooms.
[/Rant]

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 09/10/2012, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
+1... I cannot stand software keyboards, my problem on my Kindle Fire is I type without lifting my fingers all the way off the screen, so it screws up the letters :/ to bad there aren't as many physical keyboard devices out there
I am with you, I make horrible typos on my touchpad.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

It seems all virtual keyboards let you slide your finger across the screen to select another key. While sort of convenient for correcting typos as you catch them mid-word, what the design fails to accommodate is people usually type too fast to notice that they're making a mistake, unless they're a first time user of the keyboard. And it's easy to slide a finger to the next key instead of meticulously picking it up and relocating to the next key. A particular annoyance I have with virtual keyboards is when I hit Shift instead of A and Space instead of B or N. Correcting mistakes made on a VKB takes longer than writing out the word right in the first place.

Hmm... Maybe for a keyboard mod, the Shift could be moved down to the space bar row and a gap put in between the space bar and the bottom row keys.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
It seems all virtual keyboards let you slide your finger across the screen to select another key. While sort of convenient for correcting typos as you catch them mid-word, what the design fails to accommodate is people usually type too fast to notice that they're making a mistake, unless they're a first time user of the keyboard. And it's easy to slide a finger to the next key instead of meticulously picking it up and relocating to the next key. A particular annoyance I have with virtual keyboards is when I hit Shift instead of A and Space instead of B or N. Correcting mistakes made on a VKB takes longer than writing out the word right in the first place.

Hmm... Maybe for a keyboard mod, the Shift could be moved down to the space bar row and a gap put in between the space bar and the bottom row keys.
I constantly hit .com or @ when attempting to hit the space bar, since the space bar is longer w/o these keys.... drives me insane!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Autoselect kills my accuracy, but without it there is no spellchecker. It is waaaaay wrong about my word choices and writing style.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 09/11/2012, 03:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Anything new on the theme itself? Is anyone working on a port to the S3?
Old 09/11/2012, 06:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I know the slab form factor should only be used in 3.5" to 4" screens. Also The GS3 is a piece of knock off crap that has been stolen from the Prē series. And is also just .2" short of being another crap device the galaxy note.
So what are you trying to say here? The Pre 3 and Galaxy Note are the same size?
(Very, very, rarely have I ever used my Pre3 with the slider closed, even on phone calls. I like sliding it closed to hang up.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0639.jpg (49.2 KB, 19 views) Email Attachment
Old 09/11/2012, 07:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Autoselect kills my accuracy, but without it there is no spellchecker. It is waaaaay wrong about my word choices and writing style.
the TPad autoselect learns you as you type . If you hit the backspace button when a word is corrected it will change the underlined word back and give it red underlining . Then tap on that word and select it on the far right. Now your TPad will auto correct any time you type that word again and misspell it . Its really a great feature in the TPad if you use it properly.
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galaxy s, samsung, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0