webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open Source Phone Idea
Open Source Phone Idea
Like Tree11Likes

Old 06/11/2012, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Before people jump all over me saying this is a stupid idea or not possible, just hear me out and let my creative mind take over for a second. lol.

From a Manufacturer standpoint such as Samsung, HTC, etc, would the idea of having a phone that can run multiple open sourced operating systems be a positive idea?

For example, HTC creates new phone X, when the user buys the phone for any carrier, they are presented with the option to choose an operating system of choice such as webOS, android, Tizen, etc.

Obviously this would mean almost triple the support for the device in drivers and such, but would this be that difficult of a feat for a large manufacturer like HTC or Samsung, and would this be a worthy idea for a new phone?

Just a thought i had, be gentle... haha.
Thanked by Daughain, RumoredNow
Old 06/11/2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I like the ala carte idea...

That would be too cool. Buy a phone. Go to the OEM website and input the IMEI #, then download an OS or dualboot option to flash to your phone...

Then bop on over to a carrier and activate service.

If the OS(s) chosen were open source the download would be free... If a user wanted WinPhone or some custom UI overlay they could pay the licensing fee when they download the ROM. Keeps cost low for some users and adds revenue stream from power users.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: blackfireball5
Old 06/11/2012, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, RumoredNow!

I envisioned a phone made from the highest quality hardware, that would support all the open OS's that smaller communities are desperate for. I personally know nothing about Tizen, but I'm sure there are people that would love a high quality phone that can run it. This way people would be able to get a device that would run their lesser known OS, but also can be configured to run a big name OS that's open source like Android. This would allow the Manufacturer to still make a profit off the device.

Maybe make it so that support for each OS is left up to members of the community. Like a Sandbox phone.

Just ideas here.
Old 06/11/2012, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
Thanks, RumoredNow!

I envisioned a phone made from the highest quality hardware, that would support all the open OS's that smaller communities are desperate for. I personally know nothing about Tizen, but I'm sure there are people that would love a high quality phone that can run it. This way people would be able to get a device that would run their lesser known OS, but also can be configured to run a big name OS that's open source like Android. This would allow the Manufacturer to still make a profit off the device.

Maybe make it so that support for each OS is left up to members of the community. Like a Sandbox phone.

Just ideas here.
In the US the big 3 (Sprint, AT&T, & Verizon) have all talked about stopping subsidizing the phone, if that were to happen, smart phone makers would be wise to make a world phone that works on any carrier, with any OS choosen by the end customer... I for one would jump off my contract (no need if I have to pay full price for a phone) and go month to month.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: blackfireball5
Old 06/11/2012, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

It could be called something like the Samsung Ajar (like a door is ajar or open ) or the HTC Open or HTC Free.
Old 06/11/2012, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
It could be called something like the Samsung Ajar...
Then they could have a special Star Wars edition... the Samsung Ajarjar Binks. I'm here all night... try the veal!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treodoc755, blackfireball5 and kataran like this.
Old 06/11/2012, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Then they could have a special Star Wars edition... the Samsung Ajarjar Binks. I'm here all night... try the veal!
haha. Encore.
Old 06/11/2012, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

While I think it would be a sweet idea, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably about 1% of consumers who would actually use this service. Most don't know/don't care about a different operating system other than Android, so why put in the effort if you're a phone manufacturer?
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2012, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe these guys could make webOS phones....

How many percent of consumers do you think will be buying these Android phones?
Old 06/11/2012, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
From a Manufacturer standpoint such as Samsung, HTC, etc, would the idea of having a phone that can run multiple open sourced operating systems be a positive idea?
I think it depends on the cost of supporting two os's and honestly it depends on what OS. And the demand for that os. does demand for two os's justfiy the cost? Especially something like webos which has such low demand. I don't see it happening. I think it's more likely it get's hacked onto a device.
Old 06/12/2012, 05:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Considering the Lamborghini phone is Russia-only and rich folks in Russian love anything golden luxury, I imagine enough since it's going to be a limited edition as it is.
Guess I forgot the smiley....and you took me as serious? (I did read the article....and I did see that it was being manufactured in Russia only) Regardless.....imagining enough doesn't give me an answer. You think they are just making the phone....and hoping people buy it.....or do you think they took a certain amount of pre-orders before they committed to making the phone? Personally, I'm going with #1.
Old 06/12/2012, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
While I think it would be a sweet idea, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably about 1% of consumers who would actually use this service. Most don't know/don't care about a different operating system other than Android, so why put in the effort if you're a phone manufacturer?
i"d say 1% is pretty small. Though I'm sure your probably right that it is a small market. They could sell it as an Android device by default but then offer the option to have another OS if the user chooses. The support for other OS's could be minimal.

idk, it was just an idea. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
I think it depends on the cost of supporting two os's and honestly it depends on what OS. And the demand for that os. does demand for two os's justfiy the cost? Especially something like webos which has such low demand. I don't see it happening. I think it's more likely it get's hacked onto a device.
Maybe they could offer the OS on the device and do enough just to allow it to work, then allow the communities to update the software for the phone and the manufacturer could accept software revisions from the open source community.

I'm just trying to think outside of the box, i know a lot of this isn't practical. But its those ideas that are far out there that every now and again are golden.
Old 06/12/2012, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

While HTC might consider the idea, the carriers would have a **** fit. Carriers are the biggest problem there. Sprint or T-mobile are the only ones I can think of who might offer it, as far as the main carriers.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 01:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
While HTC might consider the idea, the carriers would have a **** fit. Carriers are the biggest problem there. Sprint or T-mobile are the only ones I can think of who might offer it, as far as the main carriers.

Do you say this because of customer service and support?
Old 06/12/2012, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Here in Canada, I can't see any of the big 3 carriers (Rogers, Bell, Telus) jumping on board either. However, if it's an AWS device, I could se some of the smaller carriers such as Wind, Mobilicity, Public Mobile, etc. grabbing a webOS device. They'll essentially take any AWS device.
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 02:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bad part about those (Wind, Mobilicity etc)....as soon as you leave city limits, you have no service, and I'm in and out of city limits daily. Another reason why people subsidize phones here, you own your own phone, and you get virtually no discount with the Big 3.
Old 06/12/2012, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post

The other problem is certification - I would think if someone offered a dual-booting android/webOS tablet, google would refuse to certify it for the google market and key google apps like gmaps, gmail etc.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post

Really Sprint? I don't see them ever adopting something this open.

I think the key is what was mentioned above, if US carry subsidizing goes away, it changes the entire smartphone market. The last 3 phones we have purchased, were not sold by AT&T but made to operate on AT&T frequencies.

If we hadn't been under contract when Leo killed the brand, we would be on straight talk right now. If there is nothing compelling next year at this time, we will be moving to straight talk and using our phones until we choose a course of action. Unless there is a really good subsidized phone on AT&T at that point, I will look to buying my wife whatever she wants off contract if she is done with her Pre2. I don't see putting down my Pre3 any time soon. (unless Open webOS is running on something I want to use.... PHYSICAL KEYBOARD)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
The other problem is certification - I would think if someone offered a dual-booting android/webOS tablet, google would refuse to certify it for the google market and key google apps like gmaps, gmail etc.
The phone wouldent be dual-booting. It would only have 1 OS installed on it. But the phone would be able to be shipped with the OS of choice by the user. So if the user wanted Android, the manufactureer would ship it to them with Android.

In this scenario why would Google not certify it?
Old 06/13/2012, 12:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
The phone wouldent be dual-booting. It would only have 1 OS installed on it. But the phone would be able to be shipped with the OS of choice by the user. So if the user wanted Android, the manufactureer would ship it to them with Android.

In this scenario why would Google not certify it?
It cannot work --- simply because of chipset issues.

If Google decides to make Android 5.0 with Tegra 3 first and Microsoft decides to make WP 8.0 with Qualcomm chipset first --- then handset makers will make 2 separate phones based on totally different chipset no matter what. The alternative is for the handset maker to wait months and months for the new OS to be optimized for a second chipset --- while all your competitors are making big sales.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0