webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Questions for developers. Samsung and webOS open source.
Questions for developers. Samsung and webOS open source.
Like Tree8Likes

Old 06/13/2012, 05:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
...welcome our frankensteined mobile overlords...
Just... LOLz.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 10:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
They (LG) keep plugging away at the mobile market. A fresh approach might be just the thing they need to make headway against stiff competition.
Maybe might be good to see someone who is whisful to reach on a better market spot with money resources like LG instead of just seeing Samsung only.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 06/14/2012, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Will see who arrives first webOS opensource or Bada/Tizen integration , which one works best and Samsung will finally select.
It's not an issue, who arrives first.
Samsung has invested a lot into Bada already and is now part of the Tizen Project, where they try to return on their investments. I cannot see a scenario where they just shrug, can Bada/Tizen, write off the investments to instead get an OS that has already failed multiply ... sorry, I just can't.

I think that is just wishful thinking.

I believe a company that
a) is already in the Smartphone market
b) is not very successful yet or has lost marketshare or wants to extend their market presence
c) is atm using Android but looks for an alternative to (re)gain footing in the smartphone market
d) has not yet invested in Tizen or is not interested in it
might be interested in using openWebOS on their devices.

HTC or LG are IMHO fulfilling the points above and are therefore viable candidates.
Samsung ist not.

Not that I wouldn't like to have openWebOS on a miraclemachine like the Galaxy S3
I just can't see it happen.
Old 06/14/2012, 10:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
The whole goal of merging Bada with Maemo, Mobilin and Meego (Tizen is just a combo of those four OSes) is this:

"Tizen provides a robust and flexible environment for application developers, based on HTML5. With HTML5's robust capabilities and cross platform flexibility, it is rapidly becoming the preferred development environment for mobile apps and services. The Tizen SDK and API allow developers to use HTML5 and related web technologies to write applications that run across multiple device segments."

Let me think, where have I heard about an HTML5 based OS before??? hmmm...

That would make webOS a VERY interesting code base for them to utilize to help create their vision of an HTML5 OS.

I bet they were/are interested in possibly buying OpenwebOS from HP and dissecting it and Group-hiring their html5 web developers. Why build your HTML5 impletemntation from the ground up when you could buy one that has 4 years of development under the hood?

I bet they wanted to buy it and HP said no.

While this combo might be the death of the webOS we love, as only core elements would be stripped out, at least a formidable web based, open source linux mobile OS would come out of the ashes of this "frankensteining" of webOS with Tizen, with support from some pretty big players.

If this means an OS with very similar look, feel, and hackability of webOS were to come out on a device from Samsung, I for one welcome our frankensteined mobile overlords...

heck, it might be our only chance..
While I don't know what license openwebOS is going to use, or even much about those licenses, why should they pay money for something that will be freely available?

Yes, I admit my lack of knowledge, and welcome someone to explain it for me. I'm sure I am not the only one.:-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2012, 09:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Questions for developers. Samsung and webOS open source.

Is the right time for Samsung to get webOS on board its smartphones and tablets ?

Despite HP webOS open source is going to be full released in September 2012 in its version 1.0, the OS at this time might be almost ready for a previous-premier debut. ???

Samsung has a permanent headache from Apple with legal battles around the world for using Android OS for its devices. And will not stop. The “Thermonuclear War” declared by the late Steve Jobs to Android is a never ending war. Apple may seek to stop U.S. launch of Galaxy phone | Reuters

HP should start talks and demonstrations to Samsung of the new webOS, before Samsung goes with an own mobile software: Samsung Seeks Outside Talent - WSJ.com

Maybe webOS loaded on the Galaxy SIII might be the first test, right the way.?

What are the chances if HP do so tomorrow ? seriously.
I could see HP pitching the idea to a current Andorid OEM; however, I doubt it would be Samsung. Samsung appears to be the one Android device manufacturer actually making some money. I think Sony might be an interesting choice, especially since they have other divisions where they might be able to use webOS. LG might fall into that category too.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 06/18/2012, 12:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
While I don't know what license openwebOS is going to use, or even much about those licenses, why should they pay money for something that will be freely available?

Yes, I admit my lack of knowledge, and welcome someone to explain it for me. I'm sure I am not the only one.:-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

openWebOS will be using the Apache license, IIRC

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0