webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Phoenix devices
Phoenix devices
Like Tree55Likes

Old 06/01/2012, 11:18 AM   #41 (permalink)

Get Android apps running in webOS and I would be back in a heartbeat.

I still boot into webOS every now and then on my Touchpad just to reminisce about the good ole' days before I found that one or two Android apps that I couldn't live without.

Ok, "live without" is a strong phrase...I would not get as much use out of my devices if I didn't have these apps, and they're not available on webOS. I think that statement works much better.

I would love to be able to put webOS onto my Incredible.
callmechewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2012, 11:23 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post

I still boot into webOS every now and then on my Touchpad just to reminisce about the good ole' days before I found that one or two Android apps that I couldn't live without.

Ok, "live without" is a strong phrase...I would not get as much use out of my devices if I didn't have these apps, and they're not available on webOS. I think that statement works much better.

I think zukny is in contact with OpenMobile, so maybe we'll see that happening.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2012, 11:24 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post

If you don't mind saying, what are those apps you really enjoy? I've only used Android a little before I got my Pre+ (Verizon launch day), and I loved their voice activated google maps navigation. I also loved a tower defense game called....rats...no, it wasn't called 'rats', I was just 'exclaiming' that I have forgotton...it might have been Robot Tower Defense...can't remember now....but there were no rats involved, just wanted to be clear about that!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2012, 11:49 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
If you don't mind saying, what are those apps you really enjoy? I've only used Android a little before I got my Pre+ (Verizon launch day), and I loved their voice activated google maps navigation. I also loved a tower defense game called....rats...no, it wasn't called 'rats', I was just 'exclaiming' that I have forgotton...it might have been Robot Tower Defense...can't remember now....but there were no rats involved, just wanted to be clear about that!
for joe random average europeans typically the must have app list consists of Netflix and not much else, for americans its similar stuff + pandora and a plenty more of the same.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2012, 02:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
I think zukny is in contact with OpenMobile, so maybe we'll see that happening.
I think i read somewhere that OpenMobile was going to have it ready by Q3?

Edit:

Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
Hi webOS Nation,

Anita from OpenMobile here…

I want to start off by thanking you all so very much for your continued support. I also want you to know that I read this forum daily and relay your encouraging posts to the OpenMobile team. Please be kind as we are working diligently on multiple platform development ports for ACL. Most recently we had our hands full with Samsung and Intel (How Exciting!) pushing hard for ACL on Tizen for the conference in San Francisco last week. Our engineers are head down with ACL ports, and we expect to have the webOS port in the market in Q3. On behalf of OpenMobile thank you… as always… for your patience and support. You have no idea how much we as a team appreciate the webOS followers. You guys rock!
Thanked by Garfonso, un_designer
Old 06/03/2012, 09:13 AM   #46 (permalink)

I send them a mail as well. This come up:
Quote:
Thanks for your interest in the project. As Derek (from webOSNation) mentioned in the article, this is a huge project and we're looking to involve people of all sorts of backgrounds. If you're willing to join us, we can definitely find a way for you to make a valued contribution to the effort. During the next week we will be going through all of the information you have provided in order to team each of you up with the right persons/group: Some of you will begin helping out with Porting, website design, Smart phone Design specifications, Software development & much much more. We ask that you wait patiently for our emails back to you as we are working on setting up the proper communication system for each task.

A little more background on what we're working towards:

As great an operating system as webOS is, it's been hobbled by 2 major issues - lack of apps, and lack of good hardware. We know there isn't much we can do about lack of native apps, as the major app developers balance resource requirements against expected revenue and so the decision on whether to support a particular platform is mainly made by the number crunchers. But with OpenMobile confirming that their Android Application Compatibility Layer for webOS will be ready in Q3, we feel quite confident that if they deliver as promised the ability to run the majority of Android apps (OpenMobile claim ALL apps, but some developers we've spoken to are skeptical of that, so lets just say most), will be enough to satisfy pretty much anyone.

Re the hardware - webOS has been plagued by poor quality hardware from the outset, but most users seem to feel that with the Pre 3 and the Touchpad HP got it just about right (even with the case cracks and the buggy audio subsystem on the TP). But that hardware is now a year old and no longer being produced, and HP seems pretty firm on their decision not to get back into making hardware for webOS. We're aware of some early efforts at porting webOS to other manufacturers hardware, but as that is clearly a violation of HP's terms of use that's not something we want to get mixed up in. Thankfully though open webOS will be out in a few months, and so we're working on putting a team and structure in place so that the day it's released we can get to work on porting it (or possibly a bit earlier as it is in our plan to try to partner with HP officially and get early access).

Our plan for webOS hardware is split into 3 phases:

1) Porting open webOS to run on popular phones and tablets from other manufacturers that are currently in the market.
Our plan is to implement a structure somewhat analogous to that of Cyanogenmod - a core team of lead developers supported by a network of other supporting developers. The team will initially choose a single device, port open webOS to it, and make the port available to the webOS community for their use. Once we have a completed port we will repeat the process for another device, and then another, at which point the team should have enough experience and members to split into groups and tackle multiple devices. This sort of approach has enabled Cyanogenmod to reach the point where they now support about 60 devices with their implementation of Android. We plan to do the same thing for open webOS.

Our porting work however will not be limited to just getting open webOS running. We are also intending to do improvements, addressing inadequacies and bugs as well as bundling custom apps and utilities to make it better able to serve all our needs. Our intention is to get it right - not to just get something out there that people can play with and expect them to live with its shortcomings.

2) Releasing custom webOS hardware
As anyone who has spent time working with or using ported OS's is aware, there will always be some issues with the ports due to some hardware component where the open source driver will not be fully compatible and so on. As such, in order to really deliver the best experience to our users we will need to implement webOS on a device that we have full and unfettered access to. Now obviously building a mobile device is an extremely expensive and time consuming effort that involves experts in a wide range of disciplines. We do not intend to do this from scratch at this point, and we do not intend to do this on our own - our plan is to form a joint venture with an ODM manufacturer and develop a custom device based on already already existing models. Most likely we will end up working with a partner in China or Taiwan. We've already started researching this and discussing with prospective companies, even though this phase of things is still far off.

3) webOS devices picked up by a major manufacturer

We believe that if given a fair chance open webOS will be able to make an impact over time, at which time we expect a major manufacturer or two will pick it up and put out their own hardware for it. We are working towards the day when you as a consumer will again be able to walk into your local Best Buy or carrier's store and pick out a new webOS device of your choosing. Whether that will turn out to be a Phoenix device, or one from HTC, LG, etc is something that only time will tell, but our effort will continue until that day comes.

This weekend we'll work hard to find the right location within in our Teams for all of you, and we'll contact you again early next week.

Thanks for your support!
Best regards,
P.I.C.
Old 06/05/2012, 03:12 PM   #47 (permalink)

**First post on webOSNation. Quick intro: Very proud owner of a HP Touchpad (pre-sale purchase). Definitely looking for a phone to mess around with now.**

Sounds awesome to me. Even if the whole Pheonix thing does meet the goals it sets out, congrats have to be given for trying. I mean, both Palm and HP tried to do something with webOS (I'll consider what HP did as trying, even though it was a rather uninspring attempt) and wasn't able to get very far. If Pheonix, or another group, can get a foothold somewhere like the various Linux distros, it can be called a triumphant vistory for webOS.

I sent an email as soon as I read the various articles on the interweb, haven't heard anything yet. Want to help webOS in any possible. If anyone is listening
netsram10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blackfireball5 and sq5 like this.
Old 06/05/2012, 03:24 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsram10 View Post
**First post on webOSNation. Quick intro: Very proud owner of a HP Touchpad (pre-sale purchase). Definitely looking for a phone to mess around with now.**

Sounds awesome to me. Even if the whole Pheonix thing does meet the goals it sets out, congrats have to be given for trying. I mean, both Palm and HP tried to do something with webOS (I'll consider what HP did as trying, even though it was a rather uninspring attempt) and wasn't able to get very far. If Pheonix, or another group, can get a foothold somewhere like the various Linux distros, it can be called a triumphant vistory for webOS.

I sent an email as soon as I read the various articles on the interweb, haven't heard anything yet. Want to help webOS in any possible. If anyone is listening
Welcome!

I've been with webOS since the beginning and will be until either I or it dies. WebOS is a beautiful thing that unfortunately never was given a chance on top of the line hardware. Don't get me wrong, i have a Pre3 and i love it. But when i hold an iPhone, the hardware just makes me jealous. 5 of my friends have switched to iPhone's in the last month and at my work i have to activate them for co-workers. It can be frustrating.

If webOS ever makes its way onto quality hardware through Phoenix or another way, i will be ecstatic.

Here's to hoping for a brighter future for webOS!
Old 06/11/2012, 03:43 PM   #49 (permalink)

Any updates?
Old 06/13/2012, 09:41 PM   #50 (permalink)

Just posting an update for this project:
We have currently begun sending out emails to people for certain parts of this project. Most of you that volunteered, should receive an email tonight or tomorrow. Others, may not receive an email for another week or so.

This has to do with the group that you would be placed into, nothing more. If you feel you were wrongfully placed into a group, send an email back to your team leader & ask if there is another group available or why you were selected for this particular group.

The reason for this update is to let you know to check your spam and junk email folders. - That is all.

Matt Z
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 06/26/2012, 10:15 PM   #51 (permalink)
rts

I have not yet received one.

-Rod
Old 06/28/2012, 07:15 AM   #52 (permalink)

I got a reply and an nda to sign.

I'm not going to sign it, I'm offering my time for free and I'm expected to sign a NDA before I know what I will be expected to do?

pffffff....!
spinghed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 10:11 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinghed View Post

I'm expected to sign a NDA before I know what I will be expected to do?
That's not unusual though.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 01:15 PM   #54 (permalink)

idk if it is just me but I fully believe that WebOS Internals has already gotten WebOS fully functional on one or more Android Devices. The reason they have not released it is because of all the proprietary code currently in WebOS making it illegal. I think the minute openWebOS is released we will be seeing some process to port it over to phones.

My reasoning behind this is it cannot be that difficult you have the linux drivers for the other android phones running the same class of process, So if you know what you are doing that has to be the hardest part.
drahgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 04:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
idk if it is just me but I fully believe that WebOS Internals has already gotten WebOS fully functional on one or more Android Devices.
Your belief is unfounded.

-- Rod

Last edited by rwhitby; 06/28/2012 at 05:20 PM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 05:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
That's not unusual though.
Not in the slightest bit unusual. You want to do anything in tech, you either do it open source, or you do it behind NDAs.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 05:21 AM   #57 (permalink)
cgk

But have you ever signed an NDA where the company will not make it clear who runs it or what the structure is? Yes, I've signed plenty of NDAs regarding projects but it's always clear who I will be working for/with.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 09:56 AM   #58 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

well, usually, i've been contacted by the head of projects, or the person that i would be directly reporting to. My last major project, they couldn't tell me anything other than it was an iOS game, and they needed an Unreal engineer, until after I signed NDA.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 10:03 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
well, usually, i've been contacted by the head of projects, or the person that i would be directly reporting to. My last major project, they couldn't tell me anything other than it was an iOS game, and they needed an Unreal engineer, until after I signed NDA.
Wha...? Oh, sorry, I for a minute I thought you said "Un-DEAD" engineer...that would be weird...unless the game was Resident Evil 14, When Teenagers are Zombies...alternate title...To Text or not to Text...when my fingers fall off.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 11:41 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
But have you ever signed an NDA where the company will not make it clear who runs it or what the structure is? Yes, I've signed plenty of NDAs regarding projects but it's always clear who I will be working for/with.
The NDA is not a promise to do any work. If you don't like what you see you still have the option to do nothing, the only thing you give up is the right to talk about what is being done.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0