webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Who, realistically, would build Open Source webOS devices?
Who, realistically, would build Open Source webOS devices?
View Poll Results: Who would build Open Source webOS devices?
Cowon 2 5.41%
HTC 11 29.73%
Huawei 4 10.81%
LG 9 24.32%
Lenovo 2 5.41%
Meizu 1 2.70%
Pantech 2 5.41%
Sharp 3 8.11%
Sony Ericsson 2 5.41%
Xiaomi 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Like Tree6Likes

Old 05/29/2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

We had a discussion. Names were put forward. Arguments pro and con were bandied about... http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-hardware.html

Here are the names mentioned.

Please vote for one.

Think carefully... Do they have the resources? The reputation? The hunger to try something a bit different?

Please keep all discussion limited to reasons for your choice. Let's not argue against anyone else's choice. The time for that is past - if you want to see that discussion check the thread linked above. Please don't post in this thread saying how no one will build a webOS device... You had your chance in the other thread and that part of the discussion plays no part in these deliberations. We want to pick One to Three OEMs to start looking at, start reaching out to... Names we can put forth on forums we visit along with contact info and pleas for others to help our campaign.

We want to select and attract a company that can get it done - bring us new hardware to meet the future of Open Source webOS.

If there is someone not on the list you really think can/will do the job, write them in. All write ins will be tallied.

Poll closes in 3 weeks.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/29/2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05/29/2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I still say LG is the optimum choice.

Resources, reputation, relationships with carriers, build quality... Hungry as a corporate entity. I believe they have everything we want in an OEM: drive, vision, infrastructure, quality.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 05/30/2012, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't know about the companies above, but as far as I see it the company must have a profile like

1) either have enough money to risk it out of "playfulness" or "wanting to go new ways" or
2) having no money to invest in other OSs or
3) want to create something very cheap for third world market

or some combination of the above reasons.

Dunno if that meets one or the other company listed above.
Old 05/30/2012, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry for not voting. In my opinion, we won't be forced to pick a single phone. We'll take any "rootable" phone, whose hardware is supported in OpenWebOS, and replace its system with ours. Think about it, it's better. We will be independent from crap companies, that's a treasure.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Liked by autodidact likes this.
Old 05/30/2012, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Sorry for not voting. In my opinion, we won't be forced to pick a single phone. We'll take any "rootable" phone, whose hardware is supported in OpenWebOS, and replace its system with ours. Think about it, it's better. We will be independent from crap companies, that's a treasure.
If independence is the goal, then I agree, and that will likely be my approach. There's nothing like choice and not having to settle for walled gardens, mediocre UIs, security/privacy issues, etc. However (and quite sadly), that stuff is only for ppl like us. Steve Jobs was right when he pointed out that the masses just want to be led.

Dedicated devices, even if they are the 2nd tier stuff, are important. We wont be 'forced' to pick or use them because we could always port to our hardware of choice, but their existence will benefit the masses and platform growth. Choice is good in this case.

I would like to see a smaller company take on the task w/ a current or upcoming device. The larger ones already passed up on the idea at different stages. To me, that represents bad blood. Pantech has decent enough devices and is already in w/ the carriers. A Cowan, for example, would have to worry about building carrier relations along w/ the many issues they will have as a new hardware manufacturer (there will be mess-ups the first time around). Seriously, a webOS hardware reboot is not something that should be tried by a newcomer to mobile phones.
Liked by jcmarcos and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 05/30/2012, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I see Huawei building at least 1 device.
Old 05/30/2012, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
cgk

Where is Coby on this list? They might bang out a cheapo web os tablet. I voted for pantech, they might also see an advantage from some low-cost tablet that might attract the sort of bottom dollar bargain hunters who bought the touchpad.

Quote:
I see Huawei building at least 1 device.
Why? They seem to follow the rising tide principle of leaping on platforms that they perceive as rising rather than they having to create the interest - what does WebOS give them?
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 05/30/2012, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
cgk

Oh and I see Lenovo has just got aboard the android tablet train so with that and Windows 8 that must make them more doubtful.
Old 05/30/2012, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

if we get an ACL bundle as standard, better/tighter security than the competition and various other webOS type things to brag about then anyone would do fine.
Old 05/30/2012, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

WebOS is inherently unsafe --- when the number 1 and number 2 unsafe things in any PC are the browser and the adobe flash player --- both of them are completely out of date for webos right now.

Doesn't matter whether we see the light of day for the isis browser either --- even the most up to date browser is still the number 1 security threat. So any OS like webos that is based much of the OS on a browser is inherently less safe than other OS'es.
Old 05/30/2012, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Where is Coby on this list?
funny. The exact company popped into my head too.
Old 05/30/2012, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Archos not in list.. it could happen, right?
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 05/30/2012, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I will say I was mainly thinking phones...

Coby and Archos both might be good candidates for tablets. Neither of those names popped up in the previous discussion thread...

I've counted 2 write ins for Coby and one for Archos.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 05/30/2012, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
WebOS is inherently unsafe --- when the number 1 and number 2 unsafe things in any PC are the browser and the adobe flash player --- both of them are completely out of date for webos right now.

Doesn't matter whether we see the light of day for the isis browser either --- even the most up to date browser is still the number 1 security threat. So any OS like webos that is based much of the OS on a browser is inherently less safe than other OS'es.
Didnt you already say this in the other thread (as incorrect as it may be)? Then why the tautology? Do you know what an access right or privilege is? Are you familiar w/ protected memory spaces? Which protected DBs does the webOS browser access? Which ones does Flash access? When was the last time you compromised webOS through its browser or Flash?

Its easy to state the hypothetical or use words like 'inherently': this forum is inherently unsafe because its frequented by people who know that our browsers are unsafe. See!? It speaks nothing about the reality though.

The OP specifically stated what this thread was for and that your chance for tit/tat arguments was GONE. I ignored it in the other thread, but feel compelled to ask here: what is all the webOS hate from you guys about? You're not just being insecure and trying to win friends over to your platform, are you? Because there are much better ways to feed fragile minds and egos. In case the URL or forum topics weren't clear, we here are webOS users, fans and diehards. We are here for many reasons - reasons that you may not understand or may not care to understand. Whichever it is, it is fair and is among your rights. What is not your right is your unending assault on the people here who are working to find solutions. Insulting the intelligence of others, thinking you are imparting wisdom on the unwashed masses, is rather sad commentary on yourselves. The jokes are on you because webOS/Palm users are not unlike others; they are fully aware of other platforms and have in fact exercised those options. The ones that have chosen not to should be shown some respect. Even if that internal voice is telling you they are the stupidest creatures ever encountered and should be converted, they, as people, deserve respect.

Please contribute to the topic positively or silently observe. Your other opinions are already all over the forums; repeating here is counterproductive.
Old 05/30/2012, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Add another write in for Archos.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 05/30/2012, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I will say I was mainly thinking phones...

Coby and Archos both might be good candidates for tablets. Neither of those names popped up in the previous discussion thread...
Right. Archos may make a decent tablet (and Coby, as long as they sort out the WiFi radio issues) but phones will require massive amounts in design, R&D and testing. It has to be an entity that is already doing so at scale and has a bit of clout w/ the carriers. The ideal situation is one where expenses are kept at a bare minimum - on driver or internal doctor/ROM development, for e.g., as opposed to building new, webOS-specific devices. Ok... and maybe a different case. I've been dreaming about riverstone slabs lately.
Old 05/30/2012, 10:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

LG
Old 05/30/2012, 10:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
Didnt you already say this in the other thread (as incorrect as it may be)? Then why the tautology? Do you know what an access right or privilege is? Are you familiar w/ protected memory spaces? Which protected DBs does the webOS browser access? Which ones does Flash access? When was the last time you compromised webOS through its browser or Flash?

Its easy to state the hypothetical or use words like 'inherently': this forum is inherently unsafe because its frequented by people who know that our browsers are unsafe. See!? It speaks nothing about the reality though.

The OP specifically stated what this thread was for and that your chance for tit/tat arguments was GONE. I ignored it in the other thread, but feel compelled to ask here: what is all the webOS hate from you guys about? You're not just being insecure and trying to win friends over to your platform, are you? Because there are much better ways to feed fragile minds and egos. In case the URL or forum topics weren't clear, we here are webOS users, fans and diehards. We are here for many reasons - reasons that you may not understand or may not care to understand. Whichever it is, it is fair and is among your rights. What is not your right is your unending assault on the people here who are working to find solutions. Insulting the intelligence of others, thinking you are imparting wisdom on the unwashed masses, is rather sad commentary on yourselves. The jokes are on you because webOS/Palm users are not unlike others; they are fully aware of other platforms and have in fact exercised those options. The ones that have chosen not to should be shown some respect. Even if that internal voice is telling you they are the stupidest creatures ever encountered and should be converted, they, as people, deserve respect.

Please contribute to the topic positively or silently observe. Your other opinions are already all over the forums; repeating here is counterproductive.
In the previous thread (co-incidentally it was also the same geekpeter who mentioned the safety factor first), I didn't answer bluenote's response about the Isis browser. You can ignore my comments as you wish, but my original comment also earned a like from sinsin07. It wasn't just you that was biting your tongue, I was also biting my tongue not to answer bluenote's response.

And it is not limited to webos. The Playbook's UI is currently written in AIR (which is also full of security problems) --- and many people have a problem with the concept of a security focused tablet with an UI that is written in AIR. RIM is now moving BB10/Playbook's UI to Cascades, a native c++ UI designed by The Astonishing Tribe.

A lot of people will immediately associate any OS that have large parts of it written in either HTML or Flash/AIR with security issues.
Old 05/31/2012, 01:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

I choose Huawei just because they would have much to lose if they did. But I feel the future is first in the community working on ports of Webos to every Manufactures hardware and showing there is demand for a new webos device.
Old 05/31/2012, 04:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm missing HP in the list.
Thanked By: DS_Palm_Lvr
Closed Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0