webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Who, realistically, would build Open Source webOS devices?
Who, realistically, would build Open Source webOS devices?
View Poll Results: Who would build Open Source webOS devices?
Cowon 2 5.41%
HTC 11 29.73%
Huawei 4 10.81%
LG 9 24.32%
Lenovo 2 5.41%
Meizu 1 2.70%
Pantech 2 5.41%
Sharp 3 8.11%
Sony Ericsson 2 5.41%
Xiaomi 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Like Tree6Likes

Old 05/31/2012, 05:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
I'm missing HP in the list.
I think the list is meant to represent realistic options.
Old 05/31/2012, 05:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
I think the list is meant to represent realistic options.
Yeah, but none of these manufacturers have said anything about adopting Open webOS. HP owns it and they might build tablets again. If anyone releases a webOS device in the near future it's HP (but they won't), but I hope I'm wrong
Old 05/31/2012, 05:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

HTC is in a pretty rough spot now on the Android market. Samsung holds about 40% of the total Android marketshare if i remember correctly. So HTC could happen.

And the two chinese companies Huawei and ZTE might be willing to try webOS in order to expand even further on the smartphone market.

Huawei is a member in the TIZEN association so they seem willing to try new operating systems.
Old 05/31/2012, 05:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
HTC is in a pretty rough spot now on the Android market. Samsung holds about 40% of the total Android marketshare if i remember correctly. So HTC could happen.
So you'd suggest for HTC to get out of this rough spot, they should adopt an OS that has failed time and again in the eyes of virtually everyone with, compared to Android, almost no apps? I don't think so. Yeah it would be cool, but they won't take that risk.

Quote:
And the two chinese companies Huawei and ZTE might be willing to try webOS in order to expand even further on the smartphone market.
Maybe, but why should they choose webOS instead of Android. Android is already established and here to stay plus they can customize it to their liking.

Quote:
Huawei is a member in the TIZEN association so they seem willing to try new operating systems.
Yes, they're willing to try Tizen.

Looks like I'm in a dark mood today
Old 05/31/2012, 06:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
I'm missing HP in the list.

So when we get exited they can shut it down again
Old 05/31/2012, 04:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Why only these choices with radio buttons?
Tablets are not the only desirable form factor. WebOS needs someone with very small hardware who isn't married to Android. The UI actually works for tiny things like the Veer, and there are enough of us that don't want to carry a book-sized thing around.
Find a Finnish-speaking open-source evangelist and get Nokia on the list. Nokia can't be beat for build-quality, and WebOS can't be beat for making tiny slates or sliders really work. You just need to convince Nokia that open source is good for them.
Old 05/31/2012, 04:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Tablets are the rage, but nobody wants to carry one on a run, bike or long hike. Garmins are well-built, but why carry one along with your phone when phones have a GPS? You can sell a small phone with GPS to health-nuts and explorers, no matter how many bells and whistles may be on the larger candy bars and tablets.
Old 05/31/2012, 05:37 PM   #28 (permalink)

Nokia made money with Geos on the N-9000 series which was a risky (i.e., innovative) form-factor at the time, and could be tempted to do the same with webOS and very small devices marketed toward the outdoorsy-active market. Anyone for a small Phone/GPS/HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) that is as tough and weatherproof as the Nokia 3720? Casio could do it too (CASIO G-SHOCK SMARTPHONE).
Old 05/31/2012, 07:34 PM   #29 (permalink)

The big problem with all these Manufactures is the fact they are all corporations that want to make money. I doubt any of them can make webos hardware and reach economies of scale to the point where the products are reasonable priced and they are making a profit.
Liked by DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
Old 06/01/2012, 05:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceveret3 View Post
The big problem with all these Manufactures is the fact they are all corporations that want to make money. I doubt any of them can make webos hardware and reach economies of scale to the point where the products are reasonable priced and they are making a profit.
True! And that is why the best approach is to not make 'webOS hardware' but just hardware. The Android hardware that is already in production - at scale - can be easily flashed w/ webOS to meet that smaller demand. Think auto industry.

Im not sure the votes are realistic; they still represent our fantasies IMO. Why HTC, LG and Sony at this point? They all had the opportunity in the past (to purchase or license) and none showed interest. What is different in the market today, other than our desperation? Apple/Google litigation will not change much; agreements between them will sort things out.

Again, only the smaller guys may see opportunity in this. Why waste a last effort at achieving something worthwhile on deaf ears?
Old 06/01/2012, 05:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
True! And that is why the best approach is to not make 'webOS hardware' but just hardware. The Android hardware that is already in production - at scale - can be easily flashed w/ webOS to meet that smaller demand. Think auto industry.

Im not sure the votes are realistic; they still represent our fantasies IMO. Why HTC, LG and Sony at this point? They all had the opportunity in the past (to purchase or license) and none showed interest. What is different in the market today, other than our desperation? Apple/Google litigation will not change much; agreements between them will sort things out.

Again, only the smaller guys may see opportunity in this. Why waste a last effort at achieving something worthwhile on deaf ears?
This....dual, triple, quad boot whatever you want.... That would be awesome. Probably not going to happen anytime soon, but who knows..?

Why can't you have one phone .....(rhetorical question...I know why....but just sayin') with all the bits and pieces of each operating system that a person likes? Everybody makes concessions with phones.....there isn't a phone out there that completely fills a person's needs 100%. Every phone has it's issues.
Old 06/26/2012, 10:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I've not forgotten about this...

Thank you all for the votes and ideas. It was a most interesting poll, but now it is closed.

HTC captured the number one interest spot with 29.73% of the vote (11 out of 37 votes). LG came in a strong second with 24.32% (9 votes). Archos is worth mentioning as a tablet only OEM as it got 3 write in votes...

I'm gathering contact information, formulating talking points and form letters, outlining some strategies and will start up a new thread with a "Marketing Campaign" focus soon.

In the meantime I wanted to express my gratitude for all the support and helpful ideas that have shown how the webOS Nation community would get behind the idea of lobbying OEMs to look at and consider Open Source webOS as a viable candidate to supplement their product lines and stimulate their growth of market share.

I'm going to ask the Mods to close this thread as it has run its course.

Thank you all, once again.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 06/26/2012, 12:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

<quote deleted>

Recruitment of voices is part of the plan...

Thank you for joining the board and posting here first. I appreciate the interest.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/28/2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06/26/2012, 12:58 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Recruitment of voices is part of the plan...

Thank you for joining the board and posting here first. I appreciate the interest.
kind of hard to vote on a company, when a lot of us came to webOS from webOS/PalmOS... IE palm hardware... Had a LG flip VX8530, Motorola before that... I want the HP/Palm Pre 4.
Old 06/28/2012, 04:31 PM   #35 (permalink)

This particular forum might just lend itself to a question -- nay, a want -- I've had since the HP debacle. HP was never able to put out a Pre 3 to Verizon. The first company that can get a Pre 3 that works on Verizon's network and can connect to my Touchpad will see me camped out on their doorstep days before the release date, like those iPhone id-juts. And if they put out a Pre 4 with a matching Touchpad -- I will lick their boots and kiss their feet!

I have followed Palm since close to the beginning -- from a IIIxe and upwards -- and I ain't ready to let the dream die yet!
Old 07/02/2012, 09:18 AM   #36 (permalink)

Yikes...

Firefox OS smartphones due 2013 as Mozilla reveals partners - SlashGear

It's good and bad news...clearly there are at least SOME hardware companies that are ready to take the plunge with a different mobile OS, it's just Firefox is a bit ahead of webOS.
Old 07/02/2012, 10:12 AM   #37 (permalink)

Just as I always say:
HP has NOTHING. No partners. No launch plans. No hardware. Nothing. If they would, we would know already, as we see in the case of the Firefox OS.

Therefore my answer to the threadopener's question must be:
"None of the above will build WebOS Hardware, because HP would have to actively seek partners, which they do not seem to do. It rather seems that they can't manage ANYTHING again and therefore will cry crocodiles tears at the end of their fiscal year, because they don't see any return on their investments..."

Incompetence, thy have a name.
Old 07/02/2012, 10:26 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
We had a discussion. Names were put forward. Arguments pro and con were bandied about... http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-hardware.html

Please keep all discussion limited to reasons for your choice. Let's not argue against anyone else's choice. The time for that is past - if you want to see that discussion check the thread linked above. Please don't post in this thread saying how no one will build a webOS device... You had your chance in the other thread and that part of the discussion plays no part in these deliberations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Just as I always say:
HP has NOTHING. No partners. No launch plans. No hardware. Nothing. If they would, we would know already, as we see in the case of the Firefox OS.

Therefore my answer to the threadopener's question must be:
"None of the above will build WebOS Hardware, because HP would have to actively seek partners, which they do not seem to do. It rather seems that they can't manage ANYTHING again and therefore will cry crocodiles tears at the end of their fiscal year, because they don't see any return on their investments..."

Incompetence, thy have a name.
Clearly..... you didn't read the first post.
Thanks for your input.
Old 07/02/2012, 10:28 AM   #39 (permalink)

<thread closed>

Going back to the old thread, this thread's run it's course.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0