webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What about Ubuntu for Open webOS?
What about Ubuntu for Open webOS?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShiftyAxel
  • 1 Post By k4ever

Old 05/28/2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Canonical has created Ubuntu for Android, which seems like a killer app to me. While its not really an app but a version of Ubuntu running alongside Android using the same kernel. When the phone is put in a dock attached to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor Ubuntu fires up and voila - complete desktop OS.

I wonder if Open webOS could have the same setup? It runs on similar hardware with a linux kernel and similar drivers. Combine that with Open Mobile and mobile phone manufacturers have a compelling OS choice. I think webOS has a better UI than even Android ICS - unified email, cards, notifications at the bottom.

Maybe this idea is putting the cart before the horse, or maybe its the right time to integrate the two. What do you think? Pros and cons of Ubuntu for Open webOS?

Ubuntu for Android vids:
From mobile magazine
From omg Ubuntu

Last edited by workerb; 05/28/2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added links to vids
workerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2012, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I had a similar idea a while back- Desktop Mode for webOS. Nothing so extreme as a whole extra UI running alongside, but a different UI mode for LunaSysMgr with a more Desktop-oriented setup, mouse support and cool stuff like that.

You can find it here: webOS Open Source Ideas Hub
I'd be interested to hear your views on it in comparison to Ubuntu
Thanked By: lephilwld
Old 05/29/2012, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

While I don't see many people actually using this "Ubuntu for Android". it's quite a technical achievement, very impressive.

I think Palm had this kind of idea before, only better and worse at the same time: The foleo. From what I remember, was a terrible fail that consisted in a laptop extension to the old phones, prior to webOS. But I think it was a great idea, better than Ubuntu's, which I'd say is overkill.

I mean, I don't think running a different, desktop operating system has any adwantage at all: For that, I already have my other computer. What I want is to "beam" my display to a laptop, and use its keyboard. Being webOS HTML based, wouldn't that be dead easy? We could build a special bluetooth profile, to make the phone send its HTML code to the laptop, for it to be displayed (and naturally enlarged, if done right) on the big screen. Add bluetooth keyboard and you are ready.

Alright, somewhat rough, isn't it. Did anyone attempt something like this before?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 05:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Assuming we have an Open webOS device with HDMI output. Since Open webOS uses the standard Linux kernel, it shouldn't be a huge problem to pair Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. And we already have a version of Ubuntu running on the TP or Pre 3. Surely this setup must also be implemented and polished but I don't see insurmountable problems, but maybe I'm missing something
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Myself I don't like the idea of running the Ubuntu UI on top of webOS. If it's able to do something, it should be able to do it natively/itself, not rely on somebody else's product for a certain piece of functionality. Don't get me wrong- I like Ubuntu and have used it a lot in the past. I just don't think it's the right solution for webOS.

Seeing as we can already run an X-Server, I'd say the best way to go would be creating a window manager specifically for webOS and running both Linux apps (thanks to the Linux Standard Kernel) and webOS apps (using Isis' BrowserAdapter) inside it. A package manager would be provided, so users could install whatever Linux applications they want, including Gnome, Unity, KDE or whatever other WM takes your fancy.

And webOS apps are already very capable of running in a desktop environment, I debug mine in Safari all the time and there's no impact to the user experience. Just look at FlashCards To Go- the desktop and tablet versions are practically identical.
Old 05/29/2012, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

what difference to the xserver/ubuntuchroot's is there to the android one the OP mentions, doesn't sound far off what we have now at first glance.

I don't quite understand the request as it seems we already have it?
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
what difference to the xserver/ubuntuchroot's is there to the android one the OP mentions, doesn't sound far off what we have now at first glance.

That's what I thought - we're just missing display output and keyboard and mouse. Wasn't there someone who demo'ed mouse and/or keyboard BT pairing with webOS? I think I remember seeing something like that.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
That's what I thought - we're just missing display output and keyboard and mouse. Wasn't there someone who demo'ed mouse and/or keyboard BT pairing with webOS? I think I remember seeing something like that.
You both beat me to it. Ubuntu has been running on the TouchPad almost from the beginning. Android is the one that is behind right now. You can either dual boot Ubuntu on the TouchPad or you can run it in a card in webOS (chroot):

TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad
[ALPHA TEST VERSION] "Easy" Ubuntu chroot image

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 right now. It is rock solid stable (a lot more stable than CM7 or CM9). The only issues I see with it are that sound is not working, the camera is not working, and video acceleration is not working. The project lead has the video acceleration issue pretty much wrapped up but needs help with getting sound to work. Here is the thread on the project:

[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4) - xda-developers

I am amazed that the OP and folks who replied immediately afterwards did not do a little homework on this. No biggie. That is what this forum is for !
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Thanked by jcmarcos, p41m3r
Old 05/29/2012, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
You can either dual boot Ubuntu on the TouchPad or you can run it in a card in webOS (chroot)
You are so right! How could I forgot about this? Do you know anything about Chomper's "Chroid" project, which consisted in running a certain, bloody popular Linux derivate, in a webOS card?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 05/29/2012, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
You are so right! How could I forgot about this? Do you know anything about Chomper's "Chroid" project, which consisted in running a certain, bloody popular Linux derivate, in a webOS card?
I forgot about it until you just mentioned it. I know that the project stalled. I just did looked at a thread started for this on XDA and it was closed in January.

Android on Webos (chroid) 0.1 Alpha is out for tasting. (update 10/16, no IPK) - xda-developers

Honestly, if openwebOS does not pan out, I would much rather have a fully working copy of Ubuntu or Linux Mint than Android, but then again I'm biased towards desktop Linux. It is a lot more flexible than Android is. I'm not dogging Android on this, just pointing out a truth. Right now, I will take what I can get.
Old 05/29/2012, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
didnt the man himself say it was more a personal project to show it could be done and wasnt something he would take much further but invited others to try/take over?
Old 05/29/2012, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

at best openwebos should just cure 1 massive missing link for ubuntuchroot and thats using a fully working bluetooth mouse, keyboard already works but goes stupid unless you have usa settings, but tbh just getting any bluetooth devices on the go would be a massive boon instead of just devices the webos of now insists on using, which isnt much .

its a pity that HP's wifi mouse (not wireless/bt/dongle but proper wifi like your router), only works on windows7 and not linux/ubuntu or wed have that issue solved already.
Old 05/29/2012, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We have the technology...
Aside from a first-party window manager optimized for touch, multi-touch support for X and running linux applications under webOS as opposed to Ubuntu. And the ability to redirect to an external monitor w/mouse support.

Other than that, we're all good but I'm sure those things will come with time.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Aside from a first-party window manager optimized for touch, multi-touch support for X and running linux applications under webOS as opposed to Ubuntu. And the ability to redirect to an external monitor w/mouse support.

closest i can get to a working mouse/redirected monitor on ubuntuchroot atm is using X11VNC Server and having the PC remote it (funny as most go the other way around ¬ ¬), pity Synergy (not webOS synergy) doesnt play ball very well on the linux side and decides to CAPS LOCKS all keyboard strokes and the mouse sticks now and then.

HP gief WiFi mouse drivers for linux plox.
Old 05/29/2012, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post

I would love the ability to hook my TouchPad to an external monitor. That and any type of mouse support would be the pieces need to replace my aging desktop completely. Don't even know if it is possible to hook a TouchPad to an external monitor.

Hopefully open webOS gets the support from the community it needs. Just like with standard Linux, once others get hold of the source code, wonderful things happen.
Old 05/30/2012, 01:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
I forgot about it until you just mentioned it. I know that the project stalled. I just did looked at a thread started for this on XDA and it was closed in January.
Oh, pity. That was the thread I once was following.

Quote:
I would much rather have a fully working copy of Ubuntu or Linux Mint than Android
Do those operating systems have telephony functions? I know that Ubuntu has, since quite long, drivers for cell radios (as seen on my Genesi Efika Smartbook, running Maverick), allowing to use the data part of a cell phone. But could you make phone calls? Text messaging?

Old 05/30/2012, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Perhaps even better still, if android phones have the power to run Ubuntu as an app which outputs over HDMI, why couldn't we make openwebOS available as an android app? One tap and your phone runs webOS, no reboots or bootloader woes
immovablesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2012, 06:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, pity. That was the thread I once was following.

Do those operating systems have telephony functions? I know that Ubuntu has, since quite long, drivers for cell radios (as seen on my Genesi Efika Smartbook, running Maverick), allowing to use the data part of a cell phone. But could you make phone calls? Text messaging?
Unless you got a white panda (TouchPad 4G), why would you need cellular drivers?
Old 07/06/2012, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

what i would do to see webos (or openwebos) on my netbook.. that would be pretty amazing!
kamilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2012, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilux View Post
what i would do to see webos (or openwebos) on my netbook.. that would be pretty amazing!
like this: WebOS 3.0 for PC - YouTube
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0