webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Like Tree52Likes

Old 05/24/2012, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm guessing that I'm kind of over reacting here, but the isis-browser github shows no development on its git hub for a month. Furthermore the home page and the blog page show nothing since March 23. I was, and still am, really excited to see what comes of this, but at this point it looks like HP might be flaking out on some of this... Ideas?
aitikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2012, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I always thought this was always going to be an August / Sept timeframe based on HP's release schedule for openwebos?
Old 05/24/2012, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's all part of a bigger project.
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2012, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I see a few changes made to it over the last month. I imagine most of the work isn't being committed to it currently, since there's not really much as a whole we can do with it until the whole thing is buildable.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2012, 04:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

How's going to be abandoned, if it's the app's engine?
Old 05/30/2012, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you look at the change log for the qt branch of webkit, there were only 2 Palm people who submitted changes --- and both of them have moved to Nokia this month.

http://trac.webkit.org/export/118931...t/qt/ChangeLog

Luiz Agostini | LinkedIn

Helder Correia | LinkedIn
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2012, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

i thought the "official" standpoint was that its not a doable project until all assets required are fully available when totally open sourced.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2012, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

The "unofficial" standpoint is that Google poached a bunch of enyo people and Nokia poached a bunch of palm's webkit people. One of the isis project member, alex van damme, went to Amazon's Kindle team (Lab126 subsidiary) last month.

Alex Van Damme | LinkedIn

You lose a bunch of people in April and May --- of course github doesn't see any updates since March.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2012, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i thought the "official" standpoint was that its not a doable project until all assets required are fully available when totally open sourced.
No, that is for BUILDING a test version for us Nation-people to test. That has nothing to do with the code that needs to be comitted by HP/PALM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2012, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
If you look at the change log for the qt branch of webkit, there were only 2 Palm people who submitted changes --- and both of them have moved to Nokia this month.

http://trac.webkit.org/export/118931...t/qt/ChangeLog

Luiz Agostini | LinkedIn

Helder Correia | LinkedIn
qtWebKit is not Palm's responsibility -- look at the isis source not the webkit.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2012, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Any news on this?
Old 09/03/2012, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've got it working on Ubuntu. Short video here: ISIS - webOS browser running on Ubuntu - ACID3 and HTML5 test - YouTube Build instructions: https://github.com/isis-project/isis-project
mivoligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by stickerboy likes this.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 09/03/2012, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivoligo View Post
Awesome! Didn't know this was out there yet, building now.
tonymac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Nice

I suppose there's no eta for a webos version ?
Old 09/03/2012, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
Nice

I suppose there's no eta for a webos version ?
Well, it is supposed to be the engine for the entire operating system. As the current Open WebOS beta has the email client showing html content, I'd assume a lot of it's guts are in there, if not the standalone application itself.
Old 09/03/2012, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Which means that Isis will be harder to port to existing webos devices? I assume that what is available with webos community edition is not enough to implement isis engine inside it ? Ama wrong ?
Old 09/03/2012, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hard to say, but it would definitely take up a lot of real estate. The entire QTWebkit would have to be installed in parallel with the existing Webkit engine the OS uses. So probably doable, but it would take up some real estate on your device. Probably better to get the drivers working and backport Open WebOS in its entirety.
Thanked By: grasshoper
Old 09/03/2012, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

https://twitter.com/iMarck90/status/241687283856703488
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 06:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Isis, abandoned?..... After I busted my *** getting WebKit to compile under ARM? I THINK NOT!
Thanked by fxspec06, i2y4n, jc-Treo, jcmarcos
Old 09/03/2012, 08:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Isis, abandoned?..... After I busted my *** getting WebKit to compile under ARM? I THINK NOT!
Have you tried to run your compiled binaries on the Touchpad or another ARM device? Will you post your binaries for the rest of us to play with, along with the instructions for compiling?
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isis