webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Like Tree54Likes

Old 02/16/2014, 10:36 PM   #101 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think I used this one a while back? http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/HowtoQt

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/16/2014, 11:28 PM   #102 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

OK, Perhaps you've already found all this yourself, but:

A-Browser by Droggen v 0.4.0 18/02/2012
Qt 4.8 using webkit (QWebView) for rendering.
Almost a straight port of the Qt "fancybrowser" demo.

Fancy Browser: Fancy Browser Example | Documentation | Qt Project

Notes
Pre x
Tp untested
no arm 5 (pixi, ...)
Develping a full-fledged browser is a hard task. I do not plan to develop this much further but would be happy to help if some body is interested.

The webOS extension for Qt to work on webOS are derived from https://gitorious.org/~darronb (Darron Black, darron@griffin.net)

I have taken Mr Black at his (2 years old!) word and emailed him with a link to this forum. Hopefully he will have time to offer a few pointers.
EDIT: I just realised that 'Droggen' and D Black are different people! I've now emailed Droggen also.
http://www.webosnation.com/a-browser-qt-test
http://www.webosnation.com/a-browser-qml-test

https://gitorious.org/+qt-palm-pre last commit 5 hours ago?!? Am I seeing this right?
https://gitorious.org/+qt-palm-pre-admins

Qt on the Palm Pre - Not Nearly Enough Time

A comment from that blog:
Here's more or less what I've got for a build line for Qt itself:

./configure -D QT_NO_QWS_MULTIPROCESS -prefix /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/net.griffin.qt/qt -rpath -opensource -embedded arm -openssl -make demos -make examples -verbose

Change the applications path to your own, of course.

Digia demo and Qt in the Palm (Pre) of your hand | Qt Blog
Qt In Your Palm | Qt Blog

Last edited by Preemptive; 02/16/2014 at 11:48 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2014, 12:20 AM   #103 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Mr Black responds with much alacrity! He is extremely busy, but offers some advice and is interested to know how the project goes.

He says the build line in the previous post should help. He has not updated that branch in a long time and the apparent recent commits are probably automerged from upstream somehow.

Quote:
I preferred the chroot-based Scratchbox 1.0 over Scratchbox 2.0+. It seemed easier to be sure I knew exactly what was going into the build. Scratchbox 2 seemed to pick up host headers, etc if the target include folders didn't have them. The "HowtoQt" page shows in the 3.3 section that 'droggen' moved on from my code with https://code.google.com/p/qt-webos/ to handle jails and webOS 2.0 stuff. That's probably the best starting point...
Old 02/17/2014, 01:00 AM   #104 (permalink)

off topic, but, that has to be my favorite word, alacrity, not to mention its definition gets you a bit excited too, alacrity, just rolls off of your tongue lol

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
wideeyed85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 03/23/2014, 04:29 PM   #105 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Not sure how relevant or useful this is. I don't know if the code for LG's TV web browser is available.

But this video:
LG's webOS SmartTV DEMO - YouTube

Shows it scoring 484 on HTML5test
Old 12/29/2014, 10:36 PM   #106 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I have another idea to run up the flagpole for the experts to shoot down...

Mozilla has a project called emscriptem which will compile C or C++ code into a subset of javascript called asm.js
Mozilla’s Asm.js Gets Another Step Closer To Native Performance | TechCrunch
Mozilla wants you to get your game on -- in your browser - CNET

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that emscriptem can also compile QML or QT, but I'm not sure.

So in theory, could a web browser be compiled and run on Legacy as a javascript app? The JS engine is old so very unlikely to perform quickly with asm.js (only FF has been optimised so far), but asm.js is javascript, so if something could be compiled, it should run...

Just my latest idea to 'fix' the webOS browser and give Legacy a final boost as LuneOS is developed.

Now tell me why it won't work....
Old 12/30/2014, 09:03 AM   #107 (permalink)

Err, actually there's an ubuntu saucy ext3 image.. cannot we simply extract a browser/s from it, with the required libraries, and add it to xecutah ?

or

https://bitbucket.org/vladikoff/archon , cannot this ( there's an arm version ) be used to actually add a firefoxos / android playstore ?
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2014, 09:55 AM   #108 (permalink)

Sorry, but even someone did manage to build a new browser, wouldn't links in email, text and such still open in old browser? Major annoyance to say the least
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2014, 10:02 AM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Sorry, but even someone did manage to build a new browser, wouldn't links in email, text and such still open in old browser? Major annoyance to say the least
I'm assuming the behaviour could be patched, in such case
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2014, 10:16 AM   #110 (permalink)

I recall a patch for just type google searches but for nothing else. Not sure if it was difficult or nobody bothered
Old 12/30/2014, 10:23 AM   #111 (permalink)

There are some aspects of the stock browser I like tho, like the position and style of the combo progress/refresh button
Old 12/30/2014, 10:37 AM   #112 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think the LuneOS browser is Qt or QML, so to my simplistic mind: LuneOS browser -> Emscriptem -> asm.js -> Runs on webOS. If Qt/QML won't compile, there may be some options in C/C++

However, it may be that the whole architecture needs rebuilding and simply running an existing product through a converter won't do it.

If I get time, I'll do more research - maybe I can even try this myself? Like that guy who bricked his Nexus5 by trying to install Nexus4 LuneOS on it...
Old 12/30/2014, 10:38 AM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I have another idea to run up the flagpole for the experts to shoot down...

Mozilla has a project called emscriptem which will compile C or C++ code into a subset of javascript called asm.js
Mozilla’s Asm.js Gets Another Step Closer To Native Performance | TechCrunch
Mozilla wants you to get your game on -- in your browser - CNET

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that emscriptem can also compile QML or QT, but I'm not sure.

So in theory, could a web browser be compiled and run on Legacy as a javascript app? The JS engine is old so very unlikely to perform quickly with asm.js (only FF has been optimised so far), but asm.js is javascript, so if something could be compiled, it should run...

Just my latest idea to 'fix' the webOS browser and give Legacy a final boost as LuneOS is developed.

Now tell me why it won't work....
The biggest issue I see with asm.js, is that it is dependent on Firefox's javascript engine for performance. If you could get it working, I'm not sure the performance would be good enough to be usable.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 12/30/2014, 11:06 AM   #114 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
The biggest issue I see with asm.js, is that it is dependent on Firefox's javascript engine for performance. If you could get it working, I'm not sure the performance would be good enough to be usable.
Yes, optimisation is a factor. I suppose it's a question of how much of a factor. Most of the discussion has been around trying to run games in a browser at 'close' to native performance. asm.js is javascript (a strict subset) so should run in any js engine. How fast would a browser need to be? Especially if you include the time wasted when the stock one reloads...
Old 04/03/2015, 09:19 AM   #115 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

More stuff:
Former webOS developer relations person, Josh Marinacci posted this on twitter recently:
https://github.com/joshmarinacci/app...master/browser
https://github.com/breach/thrust/blo...api/webview.md

I don't really know what this is, but perhaps it's a way to bring a new browser to legacy webOS. With more and more active websites, an up to date and stable browser is probably the biggest lease of life legacy could have.

Also, maybe for LuneOS or legacy (or both?) Android apps to run on Windows, Macs and Linux - BBC News What chance to run chrome as an enabler for Android apps?

Last edited by Preemptive; 04/03/2015 at 09:34 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isis