webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Like Tree53Likes

Old 01/27/2013, 08:23 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Some folks just have no concept of open source volunteer spare time project timeframes ...

In 2 months (especially over Christmas), someone might only get a couple of hours or days free time to work on it, depending on other work and family commitments or other projects on the go.

-- Rod
its when i see posts like this i keep wanting an "agree" button instead of thanks and like, as it seems more appropriate.
Old 01/27/2013, 08:56 AM   #62 (permalink)

Ultimately, and actual new rendering engine.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 12:39 PM   #63 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Stop covering for him! I can't browse my internet while he decorates his Christmas tree.
Well, I can. The stock web browser (and Isis Web, which is my app that I released) isn't that bad, it's fine for opening most websites.
And dkirker is already doing a great job up till now so give him some credit instead of being so mean to him.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 04:08 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Not moved on! The build code is found here: https://github.com/webos-ports

I had to re-allocate my resources to fixing some issues with QtWebKit and the browser in open webOS. With the TouchPad version, there is a crash in the graphics layer, which makes the browser not work...
Thank you for your response! I don't mean to hurry you at all, it is a hobby project after all. But given the condition of webos and your admission of getting an iPhone, it's just nice to know you're still tinkering with isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Some folks just have no concept of open source volunteer spare time project timeframes ...

In 2 months (especially over Christmas), someone might only get a couple of hours or days free time to work on it, depending on other work and family commitments or other projects on the go.

-- Rod
You're right. I have no concept of "open source volunteer spare time project timeframes" - I'm not a developer, nor did I ever claim to be one. Further, I never expressed frustration that the project isn't *done* yet.

Let me refresh your angelic developer brain with my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarsk View Post
Any updates? Looks like dkirker may have moved on... 2 months with no post :'(
I was simply wondering if it's still being worked on. I wasn't complaining at all. This is a forum; a place for conversation and discussion - not a press release thread where we may not post lest the developer does. I'm glad my post was worth your extrapolation and opinion - as it is your right to provide one, given that this is infact... a forum.

Enjoy your high horse Rod!

Thank you dkirker.

Last edited by rkarsk; 01/27/2013 at 07:52 PM.
rkarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 04:30 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, I can. The stock web browser (and Isis Web, which is my app that I released) isn't that bad, it's fine for opening most websites.
And dkirker is already doing a great job up till now so give him some credit instead of being so mean to him.
I'm kidding.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:41 PM   #66 (permalink)

lol ummm.... Christmas has passed! Not to mention... this was my Christmas tree. Amazon.com: Charlie Brown Christmas Tree with Blanket (Non-Musical): Home & Kitchen

Joke aside... Rod is tragically correct. I wish this was my full time job. Maybe some day... Until then... the same struggle persists. That said, a lot of my progress can seen through the check-ins here: http://github.com/woce/

As I noted (rather vaguely): QtWebKit and components compile for webOS 3! But... There is a crash. It happens at some point during page rendering. It is actually rather reproducible. The problem is, I have to temporarily re-allocate my time to fixing a text-filed input issue on open webOS. If someone has built LunaCE before (the build environment is the same, actually!), you're welcome to take a stab at the code.

Actually... I should create a "Building IsisCE" wiki page.

EDIT: Also, the iPhone isn't actually my driver device. It is just something I use to check out what other apps do for UI/UX stuff. My driver is a Pre3.

Last edited by dkirker; 01/28/2013 at 01:58 AM.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by BjAdel and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/28/2013, 06:32 AM   #67 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Would be great if you could create a Wiki page, so others can contribute
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/28/2013, 04:16 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Would be great if you could create a Wiki page, so others can contribute
+1

I'm setting up WOCE BE to be ready when you do!
hkowalczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 12:03 PM   #69 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hello, I'm just reviving this thread.

I make occasional updates to the webOS Status Report and I was wondering whether to include the ISIS browser as a separate project.

Or is it in fact just now part of the 'Open webOS suite', if you like...

Having followed the links in this thread, the most recent commit I saw was 8 months ago & most were a year ago.

I'm not suggesting the project has been abandoned, but if anyone (esp. dkirker!) can supply me with an update or current project link (if it's changed), that would be great. Was the wiki page mentioned above ever created?

-Thanks

Last edited by Preemptive; 09/23/2013 at 10:54 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 06:53 PM   #70 (permalink)

So, given some detritus and changes in direction that LG and webOS-Ports are going, the Isis BrowserServer model is becoming obsolete. With the push to use QT WebKit, and with using QT5 and Wayland in webOS-Ports, we're gonna use WebKit2, and build a QT5 browser. The goal is to make Universe into a QT5 browser that will really be based on open stuff. And ultimately, this should allow us to use whatever rendering engine that the QT port uses (I think that they are going to use Blink? And package is as WebEngine?).
Thanked by Preemptive, Rnp
Old 09/23/2013, 07:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

So it will take another year before we have a true modern browser on our Touchpads?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 07:41 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
So, given some detritus and changes in direction that LG and webOS-Ports are going, the Isis BrowserServer model is becoming obsolete. With the push to use QT WebKit, and with using QT5 and Wayland in webOS-Ports, we're gonna use WebKit2, and build a QT5 browser. The goal is to make Universe into a QT5 browser that will really be based on open stuff. And ultimately, this should allow us to use whatever rendering engine that the QT port uses (I think that they are going to use Blink? And package is as WebEngine?).
Do you mean the browser server model in general or specifically the Isis one? I have never been crazy about that setup, but then I don't really know the anatomy of most browsers either.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 10:53 PM   #73 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Oh? OK! A bit of a surprising update there!

I know we should not ask for a date, but I kind of echo Vistaus' comment as this sounds like a bit of a, 'Back to the drawing board' announcement. Will this be a lot of work to build from scratch or is it more the case that the parts are already on the shelf and are more of an assembly / tweaking job?

I'm also assuming this won't make it to legacy devices - except maybe Touchpad.

Unless told otherwise, I will add this as a separate project. Thanks for the prompt and informative reply.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2013, 03:10 AM   #74 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well there is also SnowShoe that might be easier to port to legacy webOS!

And there's still the sample browsers in QT 4.8 that are better (rendering wise) compared to stock webOS browser (no flash though), A-Browser QT and A-Browser QML for example. We would need to hack in the virtual keyboard (TP) and the sym/alt key (it is in the scripts but doesn't work currently for the phones) but that would bring us a long way already.

Unfortunately I'm no experienced QT guy. I tried to use the QT 4.8.0 webOS scripts on QT 4.8.5 but without luck, so they need some patching. Unfortunately I didn't have much time yet.

Porting the scripts to QT 5 might be a better idea, but we'd need to have people who are knowledgeable with QT to help with this. From there the possibilities should be quite a few, SnowShoe, other QT sample browsers or any QT browser I would say.

Last edited by Herrie; 09/24/2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09/24/2013, 03:21 AM   #75 (permalink)

I'll try to provide better information in the a.m., after I get some sleep.

Re TouchPad: I'm not making any promises. If I can make this stuff work on QT4 relatively easily, then it will probably happen.

A few different browsers were discussed... But I think I'd rather trudge ahead. The core rendering already exists, and is provided by QT. Essentially, i am writing the UI. The reason I am choosing this is that I want to keep a consistent feel across the platform, between apps. And, given all of the NSA crap going down, I want to focus more on personal security and privacy. For instance, the idea to use Chrome may have been floated (even if just in my head). But... That is probably not something I would back in terms of browser usage tracking. Why? Because Google's revenue model is ads, and you can bet that even if they implement something they are going to do everything they can to protect their ad revenue...

There are a few smaller ones, which are nice, but I'd rather have the flexibility to push stuff to the limit.

Also... LG's been heads down doing their stuff, and webOS-Ports needed some really critical changes, so we're moving forward on a different Luna system, too. The BrowserServer model is fine for WebKit1, but WebKit2 and Blink both offer models for this, that are actually incompatible with BrowserServer, or just don't make sense to try to use at the same time.
Thanked by Rnp, Vistaus
Old 10/08/2013, 12:17 PM   #76 (permalink)

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but since I'm thinking of buying a TP I have to consider all its downsides: is Isis Browser a complete and fully-operating [: not a "beta" or a "needs more work"] browser? Can I use it in place of the stock one in order prevent some sites from not loading?
Old 10/08/2013, 12:47 PM   #77 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Even better you can run Firefox using ACL inside of webOS :-)

Last edited by Herrie; 10/08/2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10/08/2013, 12:50 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Even better you can run Firefox using ACL inside of webOS :-)

If we ever get ACL...

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2014, 11:35 AM   #79 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Is this in any way useful or 'port-able'?

Jolla's Sailfish Browser Goes Open-Source
https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser
Old 02/11/2014, 12:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll check with Ports devs. They use Gecko and not WebKit for rendering so not very likely I suspect?

Last edited by Herrie; 02/11/2014 at 01:43 PM.
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked By: Preemptive

Tags
isis