webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Like Tree53Likes

Old 11/19/2012, 11:14 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I finally got around to getting an iPhone 5 (read: I was able to actually get one, and had the money -- thanks to a friend). My T-Mobile SIM is in that (and my at&t SIM is still in my Pre3, which is my driver). So, the iPhone 5 will help allow me to check out what sort of designs are being used. I plan to use that to guide designing for Isis and open webOS.

That being said, once I get the server that I have been working on back up (so I don't have to re-download the 4GB WebKit source.......), we should finally have something.

Of course, it had been my goal to have most of this done a while ago. :/ So, I apologize for the long wait... Thanks for the support guys!

I think as far as donations... I'll have to bug Tom about that. Probably donating to webOS-Internals. Buying Universe can also help. It definitely shows me enthusiasm from the community -- and my motivation drwas greatly from enthusiasm. I am generally more interested in that, or cool, unique/exotic gifts -- like coffee from around the world. (I am a firm believer in a gift economy - Gift economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It creates a more interesting world.) I am going to start hunting for some folks that are interested to help out. I have a few great ideas that I want to put into motion (and I think a lot of you will enjoy these ideas, too!).

Anyway... a bit of work, and then bed!
Wow, I so appreciate your perseverance and dedication. Bought Universe a while ago to cheer you on, can't wait to use some version of it with ISIS. Getting ideas for gifts for you to munch on while you work late at night. If you like, pm me your address
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 05:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

One of the most vexing problems I see with the browser situation is when all browser cards go blank and not even reload can fix it. I don't know what causes this but I suspect it has something to do with flash.

Hopefully your new project can fix this. Thanks for the effort.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 06:13 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
One of the most vexing problems I see with the browser situation is when all browser cards go blank and not even reload can fix it. I don't know what causes this but I suspect it has something to do with flash.

Hopefully your new project can fix this. Thanks for the effort.
That is my single biggest gripe with the current webOS browser. The person that fixes this is my webOS hero!
Old 11/24/2012, 12:43 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
That is my single biggest gripe with the current webOS browser. The person that fixes this is my webOS hero!
That is usually because the BrowserServer (that renders pages) has crashed. Or the device ran out of RAM. Most usually the crash.
Old 11/24/2012, 02:51 AM   #45 (permalink)

Big big big thanks to you dkirker for doing this project. It really is a lifesaver for webOS and i cannot express it enough how grateful i am for this effort

Quote:
That is usually because the BrowserServer (that renders pages) has crashed. Or the device ran out of RAM. Most usually the crash.
I've also had Flash cause this on the Touchpad, but not with blank cards. The rendered page can be zoomed, CSS-skinned buttons can be clicked and will toggle, but neither links nor reload will work and the browser has to be restarted from scratch.

Oh, and one feature request i'd like to make, is for the browser to not lose back/forward history for every card when it runs out of memory. Holding the b/f URLs, zoom level and scroll positions somewhere in a database would take the guesswork out of trying to recover an out-of-memory browser session. It'd also be wonderful if the same can be preserved when a phone is shut down without manually closing the browser, such as in case of low battery or automatic update, or if a device like the Veer crashes in the middle of a phone call.

Another feature i'd love to see implemented (i might write a patch even) is touch-holding the back (or forward) button to see a sequence list of visited pages. This would allow one to "hop" over "form-resubmit" warnings and go back, without madly tapping at the screen or having to turn off WiFi to do this.

Thanks again!
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 04:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I also bought Universe recently to give somewhat of a thanks/support. Waiting patiently for a test build of Isis! You are gonna give us test builds to play with, right?
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 02:49 PM   #47 (permalink)

dkirker,

I have been following this thread since it started. I just want to thank you for working on this. I feel like getting this working on WebOS will breathe new life back into it. I'm really noticing how the web browsing experience is getting poorer and poorer.

Maybe I will send you some canadian maple syrup if you get this up and running

Cheers
rkarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 03:11 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Another feature i'd love to see implemented (i might write a patch even) is touch-holding the back (or forward) button to see a sequence list of visited pages. This would allow one to "hop" over "form-resubmit" warnings and go back, without madly tapping at the screen or having to turn off WiFi to do this.

Thanks again!
+1
Old 01/09/2013, 05:15 PM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
+1
+1
Old 01/09/2013, 05:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I remember there was a patch for this in Preware.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 06:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Really? I'll look for it then
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 05:28 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
I finally got around to getting an iPhone 5 (read: I was able to actually get one, and had the money -- thanks to a friend). My T-Mobile SIM is in that (and my at&t SIM is still in my Pre3, which is my driver). So, the iPhone 5 will help allow me to check out what sort of designs are being used. I plan to use that to guide designing for Isis and open webOS.

That being said, once I get the server that I have been working on back up (so I don't have to re-download the 4GB WebKit source.......), we should finally have something.

Of course, it had been my goal to have most of this done a while ago. :/ So, I apologize for the long wait... Thanks for the support guys!

I think as far as donations... I'll have to bug Tom about that. Probably donating to webOS-Internals. Buying Universe can also help. It definitely shows me enthusiasm from the community -- and my motivation drwas greatly from enthusiasm. I am generally more interested in that, or cool, unique/exotic gifts -- like coffee from around the world. (I am a firm believer in a gift economy - Gift economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It creates a more interesting world.) I am going to start hunting for some folks that are interested to help out. I have a few great ideas that I want to put into motion (and I think a lot of you will enjoy these ideas, too!).

Anyway... a bit of work, and then bed!
This made my extremely happy to read. I have already bought Universe in the past for my devices, but after reading this I will definitely go ahead and get Universe for my better half as well. Perhaps if I see a Donation button for your great work I will be able to toss some here and there.

Thank You Greatly for your will and want to continue your work with our great OS!
Toadfrogjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 05:46 PM   #53 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Quote:
Really? I'll look for it then
Yes, I made a patch for that. It works pretty well, but is a little buggy. I don't have a Touchpad anymore so the project (as with all my other Touchpad projects) has been abandoned. You should be able to find it in Preware as Enhanced Nav Buttons.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/15/2013, 05:59 PM   #54 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Yes, I made a patch for that. It works pretty well, but is a little buggy. I don't have a Touchpad anymore so the project (as with all my other Touchpad projects) has been abandoned. You should be able to find it in Preware as Enhanced Nav Buttons.
Oh, so that is what the patch does. Guess I should've read the description better lol. I'll implement your patch in Isis Web.
Old 01/15/2013, 06:11 PM   #55 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Oh, so that is what the patch does. Guess I should've read the description better lol. I'll implement your patch in Isis Web.
Oh, nice! It'll need a bit of work to get it functioning perfectly, but it's a pretty nice patch as is.
Old 01/26/2013, 04:12 PM   #56 (permalink)

Any updates? Looks like dkirker may have moved on... 2 months with no post :'(
rkarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 04:16 PM   #57 (permalink)

Not moved on! The build code is found here: https://github.com/webos-ports

I had to re-allocate my resources to fixing some issues with QtWebKit and the browser in open webOS. With the TouchPad version, there is a crash in the graphics layer, which makes the browser not work...
Old 01/26/2013, 04:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarsk View Post
Any updates? Looks like dkirker may have moved on... 2 months with no post :'(
Some folks just have no concept of open source volunteer spare time project timeframes ...

In 2 months (especially over Christmas), someone might only get a couple of hours or days free time to work on it, depending on other work and family commitments or other projects on the go.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by ShiftyAxel, Garfonso, Garrett92C and 2 others like this.
Old 01/27/2013, 08:22 AM   #59 (permalink)

Stop covering for him! I can't browse my internet while he decorates his Christmas tree.
Old 01/27/2013, 09:03 AM   #60 (permalink)

What improvements is this isis browser supposed to bring? I'm quite happy with universe browser for the most part.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isis