webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?
Like Tree53Likes

Old 09/03/2012, 10:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivoligo View Post
How long did it take you to build it? I followed the instructions and have been building for >2hrs now and it doesn't seem to be letting up...I wanted to take it for a spin but it looks like it'll take a while; it's even eating up my VDI space and I'm worried that I'll run out of space before I can finish the build.
Old 09/04/2012, 05:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

isis in ubuntu 12.04, running on vmware fusion 4 on a mac
took over 10 hours to compile (single core)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 5.21.52 AM.png (378.0 KB, 98 views) Email Attachment
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 06:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
How long did it take you to build it? I followed the instructions and have been building for >2hrs now and it doesn't seem to be letting up...I wanted to take it for a spin but it looks like it'll take a while; it's even eating up my VDI space and I'm worried that I'll run out of space before I can finish the build.
I don't know exactly, I left it running and went outside with kids. When I came back after about 4 hrs, it was ready. Before that I had to try 3 times to get it from git. It did keep failing on downloading WebKit.
mivoligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 05:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Have you tried to run your compiled binaries on the Touchpad or another ARM device? Will you post your binaries for the rest of us to play with, along with the instructions for compiling?
Not yet. Which is why no one has heard anything about it. When it's ready, you'll all find out. Until then....
Old 09/04/2012, 06:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Not yet. Which is why no one has heard anything about it. When it's ready, you'll all find out. Until then....
Ok.....

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 11:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

Man, for an Open Source project, I'm really getting tired of all this crypticism.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 02:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

https://github.com/isis-project/
'Last Updated 5 Days Ago'

'Oh noes 5 days it must have been abandoned.'
Old 09/05/2012, 04:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, since it compiles fine on Ubuntu it should be no problem to cross-compile it for ARM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 06:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, since it compiles fine on Ubuntu it should be no problem to cross-compile it for ARM.
Let us know when it's done then...

-- Rod (since apparently it's no problem)
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 06:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I said *should* be no problem. I can't do it atm as my new schoolyear is starting but the fact that it compiles fine on Ubuntu now whereas that failed in the past, then the cross-compiling should also work.
Old 09/05/2012, 09:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
Man, for an Open Source project, I'm really getting tired of all this crypticism.
I am being vague and cryptic because I do have a day job (and a 3 hour round trip commute to it) that pays my bills, while this (WebKit, webOS, Isis, Universe, whatever it is) is only for enjoyment.

Because of this, I am not saying that "I have it compiling", or "You can test it tomorrow", because as soon as I do, I will have a full inbox with emails asking me if they can test or chastising me if I don't have something when I say I will (generally because of the aforementioned job). But, this also doesn't mean that I am saying that I have no intention of putting effort into improving webOS and open webOS. Sadly, when my paying job calls, I have to take it... Or there won't be any of me working on webOS stuff.

I hate to be a ****, but my cryptic message reads: It isn't abandoned. I have something. But it isn't at a point where I can push it to anyway and take care of the overhead of doing such. Once I am at this stage, things will be far more transparent.

I hope that you understand.

Anyway. I am going to go catch my train. I have time this evening to play.
Old 09/05/2012, 09:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
I said *should* be no problem. I can't do it atm as my new schoolyear is starting but the fact that it compiles fine on Ubuntu now whereas that failed in the past, then the cross-compiling should also work.
Seriously, on what basis do you say *should* rather than *may*?

Statements like that only cause unwanted pressure on dkirker - I would expect him to be reading your post as you saying "It *should* be easy to cross-compile now (but I'm not even going to attempt that myself, so I really have no idea whether it is or not), so why haven't you finished it yet and made it available to me?", which is exactly the wrong thing to be saying to someone who is doing this as a volunteer in their spare time.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Daughain
Old 09/05/2012, 10:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I am being vague and cryptic because I do have a day job (and a 3 hour round trip commute to it) that pays my bills, while this (WebKit, webOS, Isis, Universe, whatever it is) is only for enjoyment.

Because of this, I am not saying that "I have it compiling", or "You can test it tomorrow", because as soon as I do, I will have a full inbox with emails asking me if they can test or chastising me if I don't have something when I say I will (generally because of the aforementioned job). But, this also doesn't mean that I am saying that I have no intention of putting effort into improving webOS and open webOS. Sadly, when my paying job calls, I have to take it... Or there won't be any of me working on webOS stuff.

I hate to be a ****, but my cryptic message reads: It isn't abandoned. I have something. But it isn't at a point where I can push it to anyway and take care of the overhead of doing such. Once I am at this stage, things will be far more transparent.

I hope that you understand.

Anyway. I am going to go catch my train. I have time this evening to play.
I understand this. Let us know what we can do to support--glad to reopen the donation thread I created for isis if that helps as I understand this is "work" and takes precious free time.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 12:01 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Hang in there D'. Someday you'll only ride to Atherton or Menlo Park. :-)
Looking forward to seeing your work when you're ready.
No sooner, no later.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 01:05 AM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

As far as I'm aware it has always compiled in ubuntu. I'd think the most difficult task would be getting it to interface to our existing webOS,

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Garfonso
Old 09/06/2012, 01:15 AM   #36 (permalink)

Thanks for the support! I appreciate it. You'll hear things over the next few days. That I know.

Because I like metaphors (nay, love), here is one to describe where things are:

The bricks to the house have pretty much been manufactured, but now I need to put the mortar down to bring everything together.
Thanked By: oholika
Old 09/06/2012, 05:02 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Rod: I wasn't even talking to dkirker, I was speaking jn general. Else I would've quoted or mentioned dkirker.
And the fact that I screw up *should* and *may*... Well forgive me for having to use multiple languages a day.
Old 11/09/2012, 10:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

An easy way to support dkirker's Isis effort is to buy the Universe browser from the App Store. That's what I did.

The browser situation on webOS 2.2.x/3.0.x is getting dire. Lots of sites are slowly breaking in ways that render them unusable. None of them (that I've contacted) are interested in fixing it for webOS users. Better standards compliance is the only way out of the jam. Hopefully Isis will deliver that.

Thanks for your hard work dkirker!
martinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 07:41 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb View Post
An easy way to support dkirker's Isis effort is to buy the Universe browser from the App Store. That's what I did.

The browser situation on webOS 2.2.x/3.0.x is getting dire. Lots of sites are slowly breaking in ways that render them unusable. None of them (that I've contacted) are interested in fixing it for webOS users. Better standards compliance is the only way out of the jam. Hopefully Isis will deliver that.

Thanks for your hard work dkirker!
is

Agree. There is so much *****ing about browsers around here so lets get behind D by buying universe and supporting his other projects. I already have universe, donation link please
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 04:11 AM   #40 (permalink)

I finally got around to getting an iPhone 5 (read: I was able to actually get one, and had the money -- thanks to a friend). My T-Mobile SIM is in that (and my at&t SIM is still in my Pre3, which is my driver). So, the iPhone 5 will help allow me to check out what sort of designs are being used. I plan to use that to guide designing for Isis and open webOS.

That being said, once I get the server that I have been working on back up (so I don't have to re-download the 4GB WebKit source.......), we should finally have something.

Of course, it had been my goal to have most of this done a while ago. :/ So, I apologize for the long wait... Thanks for the support guys!

I think as far as donations... I'll have to bug Tom about that. Probably donating to webOS-Internals. Buying Universe can also help. It definitely shows me enthusiasm from the community -- and my motivation drwas greatly from enthusiasm. I am generally more interested in that, or cool, unique/exotic gifts -- like coffee from around the world. (I am a firm believer in a gift economy - Gift economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It creates a more interesting world.) I am going to start hunting for some folks that are interested to help out. I have a few great ideas that I want to put into motion (and I think a lot of you will enjoy these ideas, too!).

Anyway... a bit of work, and then bed!

Tags
isis