webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on Raspberry Pi?
webOS on Raspberry Pi?
Like Tree10Likes

Old 05/17/2012, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just stumbled over this piece of technology:
FAQs | Raspberry Pi
R-Pi Hub - eLinux.org

Wouldn’t it be great to have it’s own webOS Media Player using this credit-card sized Linux computer connected to your TV? Or have webOS connected to your computer monitor?

It seems hardware is available for 25 – 35 $ each, but mainly for commercial customers.

I don’t know if Open webOS will be compatible with the Raspberry, burtmaybe some of you developers and homebrewers could take a look …
Attached Images
File Type: png raspi_blue_white.png (23.2 KB, 42 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg 9ZMNal.jpg (16.1 KB, 36 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Raspberry-Pi-computer-case.jpg (21.0 KB, 40 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg raspberry-pi-620x378.jpg (83.1 KB, 36 views) Email Attachment

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2012, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

With webOS already running like crap stock on its own hardware with 512MB and A8/Snapdragon processors, I can't imagine what it will look like on a board with an old ARMv6 with only 256MB RAM.

Maybe as fast as a Pixi at most... but let's not forget open webOS is based on 3.x which was designed for Snapdragon.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by lephilwld likes this.
Old 05/17/2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

That clears things up. I was just curiuous that I did not compare the hardware features.
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2012, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just put it on a decent PHONE, for crying out loud.

I don't need it on a printer, toaster, or even a tablet. And certainly not on a laptop. If HP were waste any time on this, they would be better off donating the source code to some university.
Old 05/18/2012, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

While I love the raspberry pi (just got mine a few days ago), it wouldn't make a good webOS machine. It's too slow. It's processor is pretty close to the Pixi (ARMv6). But it'll be better for a media box than webOS would because it runs XBMC.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
While I love the raspberry pi (just got mine a few days ago), it wouldn't make a good webOS machine. It's too slow. It's processor is pretty close to the Pixi (ARMv6). But it'll be better for a media box than webOS would because it runs XBMC.
I think I might need one of these to extend Media from my HTPC... just need to get 100 feet or so ethernet cable to get to the bedroom.

Wish it had more processing power and RAM, would be perfect for a webOS carputer.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2012, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well if you guys don't mind paying a little more...

$74 MK802 PC-on-a-stick beats Cotton Candy to market, has ICS on board -- Engadget

This might be better hardware to consider. I'm already picturing this with a GPS dongle and touchscreen to install in my car.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Old 05/19/2012, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

still waiting for my raspi. As some people are suggesting webOS might be a bit slow on it unless openWebOS has had some serious tweeking. However by all accounts the raspi does have a pretty decent gpu on board so it could probably handle hd videos just fine.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 06/11/2012, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm very interested if anybody thinks they could get... say 10 RasPi's to process in parallell. I kear they over clock well.
TraderMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Does this mean I shouldn't attempt to develop a webOS PDK app on a Pi? I don't have a computer with decent graphics and speed to develop on. I'm still waiting in the list to get one.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Now that Open WebOS has been released as beta, I was wondering about the technical limitations to putting Open WebOS on Raspberry Pi or other similiar dev board devices (Cubieboard,Hackberry ,etc...)? This might be a good place to start for a port since these devices are cheap and starting to gain popularity and are linux based. How does OpenEmbeded Support for OpenWebOS help with getting this running on these devices?

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
elpollodiablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 09:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

OK, webOS toaster time:

Tiny210S-CAP7

Or WebOS Carputer, WebOS Home automation system...

More seriously though, I have a RasPi, and it is Slowwwwww with the built-in Linux. Now, I don't think they're really monopolized on the graphics hardware, which probably causes a lot of it. Also, Linux really isn't good at drop-in cross compilation, let's face it. It takes a lot of time and effort to get something running *right* on any given hardware. You can get the quick and dirty done in a couple of days, but the important stuff takes time. Maybe with full GPU support and some TLC on the bottom end, it could work.

Last edited by tonymac32; 09/03/2012 at 09:51 PM.
tonymac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Old 09/03/2012, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac32 View Post
OK, webOS toaster time:

Tiny210S-CAP7

Or WebOS Carputer, WebOS Home automation system...

More seriously though, I have a RasPi, and it is Slowwwwww with the built-in Linux. Now, I don't think they're really monopolized on the graphics hardware, which probably causes a lot of it. Also, Linux really isn't good at drop-in cross compilation, let's face it. It takes a lot of time and effort to get something running *right* on any given hardware. You can get the quick and dirty done in a couple of days, but the important stuff takes time. Maybe with full GPU support and some TLC on the bottom end, it could work.
Yeah I was more thinking of a WebOS carputer than a toaster but I would be happy with it being running on anything. That is a pretty cool device, I never heard of it before.

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
elpollodiablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 09/04/2012, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

webOS on a 7 inch or bigger lilliput touchscreen custom mounted in the car of as a visor monitor would be awesome!

I wonder who owns @webOSCarputer on twitter....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

i tried getting a pi a while back but they were so bogged down with orders they even stopped taking preorders, wonder if its any better now, my uncle managed to wangle 1, its erm, taped to his wall atm, doesnt look very pretty, or professional ¬ ¬
Old 09/05/2012, 01:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

I have two RPIs here from the initial batch Newark/Element 14 produced, and the commandline interface (CLI) itself is slow as hell, much less anything requiring a GUI like webOS would. Even running a simple 'apt-get update upgrade' took about 25 minutes.

RPIs are great for messing around with, but not only does it require a HEAVILY SCALED DOWN version of Debian (or Fedora or Arch Linux) to even run within the memory space allotted to it, all the optimizations would have to ported over to Ubuntu (which isn't helping the RPI project and Ubuntu is not an OS option for the RPI), have Ubuntu carefully scaled down similarly, and then hope that you also covered the issue with the lack of video optimizations.

So, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Not only is the RPI heavily restricted in the OS it can run--with Ubuntu completely unsupported--it's also just not optimized enough to handle webOS. And even if it could, you're talking an old version of webOS that would have to be used, since you only have 256MB of memory and anyone who owned an original Pre knows just how well that went.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 02:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac32 View Post
OK, webOS toaster time:

Tiny210S-CAP7
So far, best bet of all mentioned here. It's also the one of the cheapest reference board I've seen in a long time.

The specs page is scarce, and it mentions an incredibly cheap 250 bucks, but for sure that'll get you just the main board (credit card sized). You'll need the carrier board with all sorts of connectors, and the touch screen module.

Fortunately, the very friendly FAQ page has more details:

Quote:
The Mini210 is a 1000 MHz ARM A8 Cortex with 512 MBytes of RAM and 4 GBytes of NAND. The S5PV210 has hardware media accelerators and transcoders for all the usual video and sound formats. It has fast math vector processing with 2D and 3D acceleration hardware. The boards have dual uSD sockets for 64 GBytes of storage. The Tiny210 is again, a stamp, and the Tiny210-SDK is the carrier or development board. There are two versions of Tiny210. One is simplified and can use the capacitive touch displays. The Mini210 has dual CSI2/MIPI camera interfaces and can encode 1080P at 60Hz in real-time. It has HDMI output that can drive high def TVs and monitors and the kit includes and HDMI cable. The Mini/Tiny 210 comes with Android 4 and Android 2.3.1 on the ISO. It has graphics acceleration and media encoders/decoders that produce great graphics and video. Angry Birds runs great.
Unfortunately, there's not a single word about cell radios, so this kit won't help if you want to create a cell phone.

Have you seen the new "Cubieboard"?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...

Last edited by jcmarcos; 09/05/2012 at 02:14 AM.
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 11:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Unfortunately it seems the Pi isn't quite powerful enough, it's a very intriguing notion though. There are a number of similar products that are more powerful (and more expensive) that might do the trick.
Superhyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2012, 07:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

So what everyone's saying is the Pi is like an Arduino in that you can program anything on it, but is too low-powered to be actually useful, not just for webOS, but really anything else that requires moderate amounts of power?

BTW, I have a Raspberry Pi preorder code that I won't be using (moved to a residence without a TV/monitor). PM me if you want it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2012, 08:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
So what everyone's saying is the Pi is like an Arduino in that you can program anything on it, but is too low-powered to be actually useful, not just for webOS, but really anything else that requires moderate amounts of power?

BTW, I have a Raspberry Pi preorder code that I won't be using (moved to a residence without a TV/monitor). PM me if you want it.
it was basically made to be as cheap as possible opening computer tech to 3rd world countries and also for people/places that cant afford a "proper" machine, for that reason it is good, for the likes of us geeks tho, not so much.

Tags
devices, linux, open webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0