webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on c#
webOS on c#
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShiftyAxel

Old 05/11/2012, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just read this article about a startup that managed to port android 4.0 100% to c# and completly abandon java, they say c# is much faster and efficent which can make android more awesome. So would porting webOS to c# a good idea?? I still believe that javascript and html and css are the main problems of webOS and webkit is still not ready, if webOS failed then at least the core ideas should be changed ?

Android Ported to C# – Xamarin
khaled93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't see anything at all even vaguely resembling that claim in a quick scan of that article. All I do see, is that they do mention having the ability to use C# bits inside your java apps.

It would be a terrible idea, overall, anyway though -- the vast majority of apps are written in web tech.

From a generic overview, C#, Java, JavaScript are all on approximately the same layer of the system, and I'd be willing to bet that you'd find some things that could be more easily coded to run faster in each of them, but you'd likely not find a lot of difference if you could compare three otherwise identical programs written by people with an average level of understanding of each of the languages.

Also, I think you completely underestimate how much of webOS is actually written in Node.js. QUITE a lot of it is. I think (hope!) you'll see some pretty amazing things with it once the open source version is available.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 05/11/2012, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I don't see anything at all even vaguely resembling that claim in a quick scan of that article. All I do see, is that they do mention having the ability to use C# bits inside your java apps.

It would be a terrible idea, overall, anyway though -- the vast majority of apps are written in web tech.

From a generic overview, C#, Java, JavaScript are all on approximately the same layer of the system, and I'd be willing to bet that you'd find some things that could be more easily coded to run faster in each of them, but you'd likely not find a lot of difference if you could compare three otherwise identical programs written by people with an average level of understanding of each of the languages.

Also, I think you completely underestimate how much of webOS is actually written in Node.js. QUITE a lot of it is. I think (hope!) you'll see some pretty amazing things with it once the open source version is available.
And thats the whole problem with webos, no one wants to admit failure and everything is based on hopes and dreams. Execution has been so poor in everything that it demands a whole reboot, no one said hardware sucked and look where we are right now, they say enyo is great but they are just wasting time and I've yet to see any great or even noteworthy app made by enyo and comparable to an ipad app. The whole its the web thing is just a dream that has failed from 2009 and still failing, they cant rival apple on xcode, performance or awesome apps bucause of the stubborness of contuniung to use the web. Even blackberry got it and bb10 is completly native and uses c++/qt as their main sdk. No one cares about webOS anymore which means something gotta change.
khaled93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think you missed the entire point of that article. Nobody converted android java to c#, it was all about their solution to use c# in mono to create Android apps. That's it.

If you happened to glance at developer.palm.com you would realize that there is a C++ SDK for webOS... It's not all javascript based. What do you think all those PDK apps are make with?

Pretty much everyone (except WP7, and even then they have C#) allows native code in the SDK, so I'm not sure what you think needs to change. The tools are there for C/C++ devs to make apps in webOS.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2012, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Xamarin basically replaced Dalvik (the Virtual Machine which Android runs on) with Mono, their C#-based framework. There's a much better description of it here:
Android Ported to C# - Xamarin

And then there's the small issues of name, core ideas and suchlike. You're proposing we stop using HTML5, CSS3 and WebKit... In webOS?
Old 05/13/2012, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
And thats the whole problem with webos, no one wants to admit failure and everything is based on hopes and dreams. Execution has been so poor in everything that it demands a whole reboot, no one said hardware sucked and look where we are right now, they say enyo is great but they are just wasting time and I've yet to see any great or even noteworthy app made by enyo and comparable to an ipad app. The whole its the web thing is just a dream that has failed from 2009 and still failing, they cant rival apple on xcode, performance or awesome apps bucause of the stubborness of contuniung to use the web. Even blackberry got it and bb10 is completly native and uses c++/qt as their main sdk. No one cares about webOS anymore which means something gotta change.
you have no idea..

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
Also, no one cares about BB10.

However, quite a few people are coming around to web technologies -- AppCelerator Titanium, PhoneGap, Tizen, Boot2Gecko, more.

hardware wise -- there was the belief that portrait sliders would continue to be popular (they really never were), and the belief that a good tablet could compete with the iPad price wise. The TouchPad is quite a good tablet, but it's pricepoint was really really badly chosen.

Software wise -- there's a great framework in webOS. It's missing a lot of things that developers really need, API wise. I don't pretend to know what will be in webOS 4.0/Open webOS 1.0, but I have a feeling that it will be a lot more like what the engineers wanted for webOS 3, than what we actually ended up with. And I have a feeling that a lot of things that I've been wrestling with will have been worked out, or will be able to be worked out.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0