webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS Roms?
webOS Roms?
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05/10/2012, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
spcecil's Avatar
 
Posts: 48
I'm sure this hase been asked, but I cant find it...Can we look forward to webOS Roms once it becomes fully open source like with Android? I for one would love to be able to flash different flavors of webOS on my TP like I do on my Gnex with Android
spcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
Rom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you know what a ROM is? (I'm not being condescending) I'm not sure about different "flavors" of webOS, what they could look like, or how they would be implemented, to be honest.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Rom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you know what a ROM is? (I'm not being condescending) I'm not sure about different "flavors" of webOS, what they could look like, or how they would be implemented, to be honest.
I assume it was meant doctor vs roms, only hp/palm can supply a doctor at this time. They are open sourcing components of webOS, with a release of Open webOS 1.0, no where does that state in which form that will be.

Remember devices have closed sourced drivers (CPU, display, tap to share - a6, etc), as these are needed to work, and they are not part of this open source...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
spcecil's Avatar
 
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I assume it was meant doctor vs roms, only hp/palm can supply a doctor at this time. They are open sourcing components of webOS, with a release of Open webOS 1.0, no where does that state in which form that will be.

Remember devices have closed sourced drivers (CPU, display, tap to share - a6, etc), as these are needed to work, and they are not part of this open source...
right, I was asking about custom webos roms(doctor) for the touchpad, so the CPU, display etc... drivers would not be required, much like you can flash custom androind roms onto android devices (CM9, Open kang, so on and so forth) Just a thought, I'm not super familure with the webos framework; but it would be nice to have webos light (low memory usage, very lightweight) or a version with added animation, features ect that dont come on standard webos; again much like is done with Android now. if not no biggie, just curious.
spcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpCecil View Post
right, I was asking about custom webos roms(doctor) for the touchpad, so the CPU, display etc... drivers would not be required, much like you can flash custom androind roms onto android devices (CM9, Open kang, so on and so forth) Just a thought, I'm not super familure with the webos framework; but it would be nice to have webos light (low memory usage, very lightweight) or a version with added animation, features ect that dont come on standard webos; again much like is done with Android now. if not no biggie, just curious.
Again, even if you are talking about the Touchpad, There still are drivers related to the hardware that are closed source, as I have stated in other threads HP/PALM has not disclosed the Source Code for their Doctor process it has a lot of Java Class code, this would need to be open sourced as well as the layout of the webOS TAR build.

What most likely will happen is HP/PALM will release the Open Source Code for Open webOS 1.0, then others (webOSInternals, webOS hackers, etc) will take the code and compile it into a module. Then a meta doctor would then be able to be created to take the compiled module and replace (remove the existing webOS 3.0.x version and replace it with the new one).

Now HP/PALM also can provide a full Open webOS 1.0 Doctor JAR (which would be based on the open source components) but their would still be closed source drivers.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 05/10/2012, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
^^^ That ^^^

Makes it sensibly understandable for the uninitiated like myself.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 05/11/2012, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 196
You guys do realize that Open WebOS will utilize the standard Linux kernel which will give you a majority of those drivers as open source code? The only drivers that would be a pain to get is the cell radio ones
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 73
Quote:
I'm sure this hase been asked, but I cant find it...Can we look forward to webOS Roms once it becomes fully open source like with Android? I for one would love to be able to flash different flavors of webOS on my TP like I do on my Gnex with Android
You might not need them.
In the WebOS World, we have:
* patches: WebOS is mostly HTML, you only need to ssh to it and start to change things. Or install the ones you like from Preware. Don`t need to change the full thing, just the bits that you are not happy with
. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware

* Custom kernels: You can change the standard kernel with one of the custom kernels made by the community that bring different improvements (mostly speed and better memory usage)
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Uber-Kernel

* Meta-doctors: Those are a set of scripts that change the doctoring process for allow non standard "doctorings"
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ion:MetaDoctor

Cheers
JuanDavi
jdevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
You guys do realize that Open WebOS will utilize the standard Linux kernel which will give you a majority of those drivers as open source code? The only drivers that would be a pain to get is the cell radio ones
The linux kernel is the steping stone to a device, it controls CPU, memory, scheduling, etc... It does not have any drivers... If you need to have a storage device you need a driver, now the kernel does have kernel modules which one could add like for scsi, encryption, network, WiFi, etc... Some of these are already open sourced on palms web site, but video well that is closed source, or beats audio closed, a6 chip closed source, or touchpanel drivers closed source, modem drivers, provisionor code closed source, doubt Verizon, Qualcomm, at&t, etc... Want that open...

Then, building a doctor where is that open source? Where is the java code to managing the device, think about it tokens are backed up, some we know, some even Rod had copied from one pre3 8g to a 16g, but what does the content mean?

There is a lot unknown to the pubic, maybe a developer knows but they are under NDA, so they will not tell us...

HP/Palm need to detail more then a time line, if there is any hope! They announced windows 8 tablets, ignored webOS...

We all hope HP/Palm will do the right thing, but will they?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 271
Android roms came about because people wanted functionality that carriers had coded out. Tethering being one good example. AFAIK webos doesn't have that dysfunction. Once we have open webos, there will perhaps be more themes and launchers, but I see no need for what you are thinking of as a Rom. But we also need to see what open webos will be. ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
open source, roms, touchpad

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0