webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What would be a workable scenario for an open webOS phone?
What would be a workable scenario for an open webOS phone?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By sbopple
  • 1 Post By p41m3r

Old 05/10/2012, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm wondering what could be a workable scenario for an open webOS phone.

Short of a major hardware manufaturer picking up and using webOS on their own set of hardware - I was thinking that I would be satisfied if I could go buy something like a samsung, install webOS on it and go to a carrier like Revol and have them flash it for their network (which they will do). I'm assuming if this could be done then you'd either still have the HP app store for webOS or there would be some community developed/maintained equivalent (either homebrew or more like HP's app store).

Thoughts?
sbopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

OpenwebOS for my Pre3 would be cool.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think something along the lines of this thread http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...bos-phone.html started by Luckyphoenix is the best possible scenario...

A hungry OEM willing to take a chance on a proven UI going open source in order to grab market share.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Once webOS gets its foot wedged in the door... The OS speaks for itself. More models and more OEMs are likely to follow.

If open source is only used to reflash hardware or for dual boot it will remain invisible to the vast majority of cell phone users anyway. People spend money on devices and they want them to work - they are often loath to modify their hardware and risk it not working.

You can't build market share / brand recognition / user base by remaining at the hobbyist level which is where webOS will fall to with no new, proprietary hardware.

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/10/2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: LOL dual boot not duel - although it would be cool if webOS slew every other OS it shared a phone with :p
Old 05/10/2012, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
That sounds like workable scenario for less than one percent of the smartphone using populaation. That would be like using a Linux box as your home or work PC.
Well...

...I actually do that.

I've bought used IBM machines for years and installed Linux or FreeBSD on them and used them as desktops or home servers. That's what got me to thinking about this. When I first started installing linux the driver/hardware support wasn't the best (and I'm guessing that would be true for webOS) but over time it's matured and works quite well now.

I have to believe overtime, if Pandora did not directly support webOS, there would be a team out there who would develop and maintain a pandora client for webOS. That happens all the time in the Linux community.

And don't start with the "Dude Android IS linux". Android blows, I use gingerbread on a 7" lenovo tablet and the user experience is horrible to be charitable.
Liked by kataran, drewksparks and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by Daughain, RumoredNow
Old 05/11/2012, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

could google who now owns Motorola put webOS on a phone and it be cheap for them or is that just too stupid...
modelnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
could google who now owns Motorola put webOS on a phone and it be cheap for them or is that just too stupid...
Google is already facing suspicions that they will supply Motorola with better OS faster than rival OEMs and create market advantage for their new hardware acquisition. Google's perceived integrity has suffered several blows recently. I doubt there is an independent mind over there (at Motorola) willing to push for an OS that would be competing with Android... That would start speculation that Google is abandoning Android and leaving competitors in the hardware arena to wallow.

Motorola's build quality is always top shelf. It would be nice to attract them as an OEM for webOS devices. It might be wishful thinking, but it's a nice wish.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 05/11/2012, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

If Google, through Motorola, released a public set of phone design standards for anyone to use, it would make developing webOS easier I think. This would be similar to IBM releasing the standards for the IBM PC to the community back in the 80s.
Old 05/12/2012, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Google's relationship w/ Palm OS and now webOS has been lukewarm - partial support one day, none at all the next. They, like others, have always put their own interests first and I dont see how webOS will serve their interest.

Moto may have solid hardware but their design trails Sammy and HTC, who obviously dont have the time for anything but Android atm. This would leave one of the smaller OEMs whose stuff will be a notch or two lower in quality. The good thing is that it will be sufficient to meet and exceed the point where HP made its exit.

Maybe in addition to hoping, we could also agitate a bit by appealing to the smaller OEMs?
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 05/12/2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
Maybe in addition to hoping, we could also agitate a bit by appealing to the smaller OEMs?
Which brings us back to what Luckyphoenix tried to do: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...bos-phone.html Unfortunately the "name the next device" contest was over by the time word got out on this site...

To my way of thinking, porting is a diversion. It won't keep webOS active enough to hope to catch the public's eye. Bill likes the Galaxy S II and gets webOS ported onto it. Frank really digs the proliferation of cheap tablets like the Cruz Micro and he gets webOS booting on those. It all serves as a dilution to lessen the flow - to reduce the force of webOS in the larger community of device users.

I agree we need to agitate with OEMs about getting dedicated equipment once open source hits. Possibly even before it hits. Maybe starting last month, or even back when HP announced they were dropping webOS hardware production.

Who is a good candidate to build webOS powered devices? Maybe we should be asking that question, taking a poll, finding 3 likely and realistic candidates and focusing community efforts on them to show the numbers they can attract with an initial offering of dedicated webOS hardware.

If the community concentrates their effort it is much more likely the plea will be heard. If the numbers are enough it is much more likely an OEM will take the risk...

Personally, I think LG a good prospect. Large enough to take advantage of huge economies of scale. A recognizable brand. Their quality is good so far as I know and from their stuff I've used. Yet they lag behind others like Samsung in the Android device field... They seem hungry enough to take a well hedged bet. And big enough to have a hope of pulling it off. They supply to carriers directly.

What say you?

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 05/14/2012, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Having read your last post and thinking about it over the weekend, yeah okay I'm on board that the preferred solution is a major OEM and a push should be made in the direction to get one to use webOS. I'm looking at LG's phone portfolio and it's impressive.

I don't know you'd think any of the OEMs (except motorola) using android would jump on webOS, at the time android was the only option. Samsung, HTC, LG - they all had to be shaking their heads about "geez android kinda blows but maybe we can pimp it to work well enough..."
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0